Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicker - Pathetic performance.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks we've lacked a bennett? .We need someone to step up and play the bennett role, in the hole between the attack and midfield and running at their defence with the ball, either three of noone, buckley and vicente are capable and would play along dicker and bridcutt.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Dicker, no vision? Now that is laughable. He actually played some superb balls tonight - one that comes to mind is the through ball to Noone end of the first half. Perfectly weighted. Dicker seems to take the blame for everything - that free kick to LuaLua was obviously a set training ground play but it wasn't his fault. The fact Dicker is forced to be so creative means that he is an obvious scapegoat if a play ever breaks down. In my opinion there were 10 other players much worse than him tonight.

'The fact Dicker is forced to be creative' What utter crap is that. He's supposed to be creative isn't he?

calm down people. They had 5 in midfield and pushed us back, pushed us back, so there were massive gaps to our front 2. Harley and Dicker both tried to cover the ground from defence to attack, but got knackered doing so, and by the end were spent.

But didn't we virtually play with 5 in midfield, Bridcutt, Harley, Dicker, Noone and Barnes?

Absobloodylutely. Get it in perspective. We're brilliant (we weren't tonight) but just think back a year or two. Get it is in perspective and don't get down on the guys. We're disappointed, I was almost sick during the second half, but that's it. Lets put it behind us in the morning and look forward to Ipswich, Hull and others, that we're going to destroy
Sorry but were we brilliant in the first half against Liverpool and Leeds and for the last 75 minutes last night.

So why didn't we have a plan B? Not just one that involves changing players. I'm sure Gus and the coaching staff learned a lot from last night and I trust them to get things back on track.

Perhaps Gus is a Tory!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Dicker was bobbins last night, as was Harley. Should've given Vicente and LuaLua a full half.

Worst performance I've seen yet from a Gus Poyet side, and against the Nigels is unforgivable

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought Dicker put in a better show than usual last night, and that's not to slag him off. He did well overall. Better than the immobile Harley at least. He just has to put a bit more weight on his passes as he realises how speedy and quick-thinking those in our higher division now are.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is seriously starting to doubt Dicker's ability. Yes, he can knock about some good passes when in possession and has occasional flashes of quality - but my main critique comes with his defensive play. When closing players down, he is far too slow/disinterested and rarely makes a challenge if it requires any real effort. Over the last 3 games, when I've been more aware of looking out for this, it's become all too obvious.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It was interesting that Gus said that he learned a lot about his players last night. He'll be making changes.

Who too????

Navarro? Sparrow? f*** that - id rather put out dicker and harley again, and there bad enough! We have personnell issues big time!!!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If Dicker had put as much effort in closing people down, tackling or generally moving as he did in berating team mates, he'd be a world-class player

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Vicente showed what we were missing when he came on. He passed and moved. We were like rabbits caught in the headlights - there was no movement. It was a collective thing.

And the midfield need to be reminded that sometimes you need to win the fight to play the passing game. When they have the ball - show some flamin' grit.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Haven't read the rest of the thread - but my two-penneth is that last season Gary Dicker was my favourite player.

This season, he has failed to appreciate the quality of opposition, and is still playing like he's in the Third Division. I am extremely confident he can play much better, but at present he is playing far too casually and arrogantly, without due care and attention, and without doing the basics right.

Last night, he was one of Palace's best players - that's how awful I thought he was.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Haven't read the rest of the thread - but my two-penneth is that last season Gary Dicker was my favourite player.

This season, he has failed to appreciate the quality of opposition, and is still playing like he's in the Third Division. I am extremely confident he can play much better, but at present he is playing far too casually and arrogantly, without due care and attention, and without doing the basics right.

Last night, he was one of Palace's best players - that's how awful I thought he was.

I agree.

It's the same with Painter IMO. The players seem to think that they have that extra split second when they don't anymore! Dicker got caught bigtime against Donny and he's improved since. To be fair, last night he did put a few tackles in.

Harley for me was completely out of his depth and looked absolutely passive. I can only imagine he was on to try to improve the set piece situation...

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I really cant stand all the Navarro bashing as I am yet to see him put a foot wrong and his range of passing is brilliant, I really think that the Sunderland and Liverpool games showed us how to play. Navarro and Bridcutt in front of the back four and then Vicente in front.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I really cant stand all the Navarro bashing as I am yet to see him put a foot wrong and his range of passing is brilliant, I really think that the Sunderland and Liverpool games showed us how to play. Navarro and Bridcutt in front of the back four and then Vicente in front.

Agree 100%. Secure the midfield and let the creative players go free

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Like many of the players, he looks good when it's going well (i.e. the set up for the CMS goal) but when we need him to do the simple things to steady the ship when it's going wrong, he can't make a pass to save his life. He's got to be cut from the starting XI. Not good enough. Our main problem isn't passing when we've got momentum; it's getting the passing together when we've lost our tempo and are getting pushed deeper back. Dicker can't do that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Never been a lover of midfielders who stroll around, and I'm afraid Harley is one of those. I'm sure Swansea sussed him out quite early on.

Dicker, does have passion and he looked like he genuinely cared last evening, but he is out of his depth and just makes too many errors for this level.

Painter, lacks pace but then always has. But until the last few games has been steady this season. For me his weakness is when he is up against pace and doesn't have Noone protecting him.

Barnes, dreadful last evening, but to say he's not up to it is laughable. I think he's played a good role so far...... he's even learnt how to take a penalty!!!!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I concur.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I'll prefix my comments by saying that in 30 years of watching us, I can never remember feeling as embarrassed, angry and frustrated as after last night's game (yes, including the 5-0). In the cold light of day though, a lot of what has been posted here about our qualities as a team is an overreaction - understandable but still an overreaction.

For 20 mins we were awesome. We still have the ability to blow teams away, but yes, we're some way short of being a promotion winning team. I think 7 or 8 times out of 10 our side would beat last night's Palace team, just as in 2005, when MCShane won it against the odds for us, Palace had a better team and would have beaten us 7-8 times out of 10.

We're not world beaters. Some of our players have slipped out of form, but to write of Barnes, Dicker and Painter as not good enough is premature at best and pretty unfair at worst. I'm sure they already understand how let down we feel. Equally, they have done enough over the 2 years to deserve a bit of faith and support - starting at Ipswich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here