Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight/Tony Bloom

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unless of course you are suggesting that there was never any serious funding package on the table at any stage.

B&HCC would never have sanctioned giving us that land and then backing us every step of the way if they had not been presented with a VIABLE business plan to fund the thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But ultimately the funding was in place. I agree that the original source of funding disappeared as the economy headed down the drain, but an alternative source of funding was found pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, without Bloom's input I cannot see where we would have got the cash from, but seeing as Falmer is rising from the earth before our very eyes, this point is surely now moot.

Unless of course you are suggesting that there was never any serious funding package on the table at any stage.

'found pretty quickly' or 'saved the day not to mention plenty of egg on faces'?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Blimey - 200 replies to a thread started my me, and only one of them call me a cock.

Interesting reading.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How was it 'found pretty quickly' ? We hadn't lost it. Bloom was already there.

I was simply quoting HotChiliDog. Ask him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was simply quoting HotChiliDog. Ask him.

Well, the point is that you seem to be inferring that DK and MP had lied to the fans about the funding being secure for the staduim. I recall when assurances were being sought (due to the credit crunch), MP stated something along the lines of it not affecting the business plan for the stadium and that "the funds will be there as and when required".

And thats EXACTLY what transpired, thanks to Tony Bloom being on board the whole time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If TB was always plan B then quite simply, DK would still be chairman. Does anyone genuinely think he would willingly step down as chairman a year before Falmer opened.

i dont get this argument. if im picking up the bill i want to choose the venue. its pretty normal in business and espacially in football for the major financer to be the chairman/boss. other than a few corporately run teams (ie Tottenham), name one where this isnt the case. its just common sence and common practice i'd have thought (maybe also legal/tax/fa rules relating?).

We were told that funding was in place but it wasn't. It really wasn't.

yet, here we are with the stadium built within a couple of years of permission being granted. so it seems funding was in place. you simply dont get that sort of money from nowhere or very quickly, Bloom didnt win it at a poker tournament one weekend. it must have been in planning, at least in the background, for some time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because the Dick Tight Knockers did not have their day in the sun to be able to tell everyone "I TOLD YOU SO".

It seems like that doesn't it.
Struggling to get my head round how the club could ever have gotten planning permission and land from the Council if they didn't have a pot to piss in to pay for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, the point is that you seem to be inferring that DK and MP had lied to the fans about the funding being secure for the staduim. I recall when assurances were being saught (due to the credit crunch), MP stated something along the lines of it not affecting the business plan for the stadium and that "the funds will be there as and when required".

And thats EXACTLY what transpired, thanks to Tony Bloom being on board all the time.

Well, I share the view that there was no plan B. I believe that Bloom came along at the last minute to save us. I have no issue with this other than I, along with a few others, felt strung along by DK and Perry.

The sequence of events was initially a self-imposed timeline when they said they would reveal the loan details, once this had passed a series of vague statements followed, and ultimately and at the last minute DK quickly stepping down and Bloom taking over and pumping money into the club.

This seems a rather odd series of events if this was planned all along.

I'm getting a bit bored with this thread now so can we just leave it at this? This is how I feel and in the absence of any new information my feelings will remain unchanged.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Kin hell. Some of you lot have got too much time on your hands to argue that a stadium being built and funded and rising before our very eyes wasn’t, er, funded.

There will be a thread on here one day full of people arguing that it won’t get dark tonight (probably by our resident knob head in the North Pole)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Still on the Yom Kippur theme, I perceive Dick Knight to be Moses, Tony Bloom to be Joshua, Falmer to be The Promised Land and Lewes District Council to be The Red Sea.

Without Moses the journey wouldn't have started, yet without Joshau we wouldn't have arrived at The Promised Land.

Nobody called Moses a twat for dying en route, and I don't believe Joshua tried to take the credit for parting the Red Sea.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If you really think Bloom, an acomplished businessman, would have sat there thinking "I want to be Chairman but I'll let DK hang himself and then step in" while the costs for the stadium rose then you're more stupid than your posts in this thread suggest.

I doubt that it happened that way but it wouldn't surprise me if Bloom saw the economic downturn happening some way away and realised that DK & MP wouldn't get funding. After that it was just a question of biding your time until they turned to him - and he'd already worked out what the price was.

Some may call that 'hard-nosed' but it's just doing business. After all, nobody lost out - or so we're told - and the fans were (are) big winners.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Still on the Yom Kippur theme, I perceive Dick Knight to be Moses, Tony Bloom to be Joshua, Falmer to be The Promised Land and Lewes District Council to be The Red Sea.

Without Moses the journey wouldn't have started, yet without Joshau we wouldn't have arrived at The Promised Land.

Nobody called Moses a twat for dying en route, and I don't believe Joshua tried to take the credit for parting the Red Sea.

Except Joshua destroyed buildings rather than built them ... and, of course, he parted the river Jordan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except Joshua destroyed buildings rather than built them ... and, of course, he parted the river Jordan.

quite a few people have parted Jordan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here