Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight stadium tribute

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
there is only 1 bloke the ground should be named after.without him it would still be a grass field.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that stand names should be reserved for great players of the past: Charlie Webb, Tommy Cook and Peter Ward are the three that most obviously come to mind.

I do think that Dk deserves some sort of honour but not a stand and certainly not a statue. The hospitality suite would be a good compromise

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Name a burger stand after him or something for bringing us back to Brighton.

No more than that though.

After all it was him holding us back for the last 5 years of his reign. And he continued to employ Martin Perry throughout who once again showed his true colours after his departure turning on him like the turncoat he is.

By "holding us back for the last 5 years" I take it you mean "somehow keeping us out of Administration". Because I'd probably consider that another positive.

Unless of course you feel he should have been loosening the purse-strings to ramp-up all the payments to players and agents, in a desperate bid to play a division higher ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I struggle to see how players are more worthy of a stand or statue than Dick Knight. We only still exist and have a decent future because of him and a few others

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Ignore Arthur, he is clealy an idiot.

Statutes are commissioned for the dead so no to that idea.

But without Dick Knight there would be no Brighton and Hove Albion so it would be fitting to have something of substance named after him, his contribution is that important in the club's history. A stand then or perhaps if that didn't work, what about re-naming a road up to the stadium after him?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How far do you go down the line of naming stands etc after people who achieved something at BHA:

Billy Lane 1st ever promotion
Alan Mullery taking us into Div 1
Jimmy Meliia taking us to the Cup Final
Mickey Adams 2 promtions
Mark McGhee taking us into the Championships
that is just managers and numerous players that are too many to mention who achievd as much if not more than Peter Ward in appearances etc.

There are number of chairmen who at the time did wonders for us and of course there are the directors and wealthy supporters who provided the money for DK to carry out his duties without which he would have failed.

What about Tony Bloom without his money the stadium would not have been built.

No I thnk there should be a plague or stone placed in the buidling of the stadium as a perpetual reminder. With wording such as

This is laid as reminder and thanks to the many people who contributed to the buidling of this stadium under the guidance of the Chairman Dick Knight.

If he must be isolated for praise to appease some I would suggest that the most appropriate idea would be to name the approach road to the stadium after him Dick Knight Way or similar.

To suggest that without him there would be no BHA is completely wrong somebody would have bought the club. As to how successful they would have been nobody can guess but the club would have survided in some form or another.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hmmmm yes I was the idiot/clueless one who told you over a year before it came out that Knight had no way of paying for Falmer and was asking anyone and everyone who had more than £2.50 in their piggy bank if they could help.

Despite it ALL being true it would appear that a few of you still can't see beyond your blinkered view on the bloke.

Like I said by all means name a suite or even an end after him, he did very well for the club in his first 5 or so years at the club. However that also coincided with the club doing well on the field which is thanks to Bobby Zamora, Danny Cullip and a few others. Should we name stands/have statues for them as well?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Does it matter that Knight couldn't afford Falmer? I think we all knew he didn't have the money. Isn't it enough that he got us through the 11 year battle to get planning permission?

Not a criticism Arthur, I'm just interested in your thinking.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The first person a stand should be named after, is the man thats putting up the hard cash to make it a reality and not just a plan. The Tony Bloom Stand, although i do agree DK should have something named after him, he did along with others, save our club, even if he did hang on to long(cant really blame him for that, must have been hard to let go, even if you know it is the only way forward.)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To suggest that without him there would be no BHA is completely wrong somebody would have bought the club. As to how successful they would have been nobody can guess but the club would have survided in some form or another.

How very bláse, BG.
With the club having finished 91st in the league, having just been made homeless with no assets, without a pot to piss in, and requiring major investment just to secure a pitch to play on somewhere, and having to lodge a £500k bond with the Football League to eventually (somehow) return the club to Brighton, I really don't think there was a queue of suitors snaking up Queens Road to buy this club back then.

I think we can say with confidence that if DK hadn't stepped in, we were pretty much f***ed. I cannot believe how churlish some folk can be over the role DK played in saving this club.

Adn without him and MP spearheading Falmer, theres NO WAY we'd be seeing sweeping white arches swinging around in the sky this week. Yes in the end it needed Blooms cash to be fully realisd, but all the cash in the world is no use unless you've put together a viable planning application and achieved consent, which given the opposition, was a miracle in itself.

I'd name the whole damn stadium after him.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Ignore Arthur, he is clealy an idiot.

Statutes are commissioned for the dead so no to that idea.

But without Dick Knight there would be no Brighton and Hove Albion so it would be fitting to have something of substance named after him, his contribution is that important in the club's history. A stand then or perhaps if that didn't work, what about re-naming a road up to the stadium after him?

What he said :thumbsup:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
If he must be isolated for praise to appease some I would suggest that the most appropriate idea would be to name the approach road to the stadium after him Dick Knight Way or similar.

On reflection, that's a great idea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here