Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight in today's Argus

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tony Bloom didn't want to take over until the planning permission had been sorted out.

Maybe but I doubt Dick wanted to let go until it became clear that raising the funds without Bloom wasn't going to happen.

Can't they BOTH be the good guys? I see no reason to take sides, we would be screwed if it wasn't for both of them.

Maybe but I doubt Dick wanted to let go until it became clear that raising the funds without Bloom wasn't going to happen.

Can't they BOTH be the good guys? I see no reason to take sides, we would be screwed if it wasn't for both of them.
Bloom certainly raised the funds, in the most finance-efficient way that was available at the time (and DK recognised that this was the most cost-effective solution).

But it doesn't mean that other finance options weren't available and being actively explored. It is a huge oversimplification to say that "raising the funds without Bloom wasn't going to happen". We might not have had cushioned seats, of course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloom certainly raised the funds, in the most finance-efficient way that was available at the time (and DK recognised that this was the most cost-effective solution).

But it doesn't mean that other finance options weren't available and being actively explored. It is a huge oversimplification to say that "raising the funds without Bloom wasn't going to happen". We might not have had cushioned seats, of course.

Fair enough, but I do vaguely remember articles about potentially big problems in raising the money, after the delay, because the country had gone into recession. I may well be wrong I accept.

Do you think DK has regrets about agreeing to TB funding everything then?

Fair enough, but I do vaguely remember articles about potentially big problems in raising the money, after the delay, because the country had gone into recession. I may well be wrong I accept.

Do you think DK has regrets about agreeing to TB funding everything then?
And I'm going to agree with your comment: "Can't they BOTH be the good guys? I see no reason to take sides, we would be screwed if it wasn't for both of them". And add: "Neither is perfect".

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Come on, you can't just say that. Why do you think he was the best ever Chairman? Because he's the only one you knew personally?

I don't know him personally. I don't even have his mobile number ! I believe he was the greatest chairman for reasons I would have thought were obvious. If it were not for Dicks efforts ( and loads of others ) we would not have The Amex and we might not even have had a BHAFC to support anymore.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe it's just me but...at a time when the club is clearly behaving in a much more autocratic and dictatorial way, seeking to control aspects seen previously way beyond its remit (like the ticket exchange on here, for example), as well as playing fairly fast and loose with employment procedures at the risk of surrendering good-will, threatening these silly writs etc etc etc, and all for the sake of squeezing the last financial pip dry, under the catch-all excuse of this under-explained FFP....then it's absolutely VITAL that someone, anyone exists to cast a critical eye over them and provide something of a reality check. Doing so does not mean they're just embittered.

Despite what the club's more desperate sycophants on here might argue, they're not perfect or flawless, nor IMHO does having coughed up all that dosh for the ground make every subsequent action beyond question or scrutiny. Good on Uncle Dick for speaking up. I hope he continues to. It's important.

This. Spot on.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
When Tim Carder and the fans unveiled the memorial board in Hove Park to celebrate our glory days of the Goldstone (and they were Glory Days), who were the only two officials from the club in its modern day guise to bother to come along? Both were GENUINE Albion fans and one was Dick.

May I ask who else recalls the 'forgotten member' of the board who was also party to the suing and prosecution of the Gulls Eye boys, for daring to question what the club was doing? It wasn't just Bellotti and Archer.

Was there not also the promise after Archer that 'no one person' will ever be in charge of our club again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
May I ask who else recalls the 'forgotten member' of the board who was also party to the suing and prosecution of the Gulls Eye boys, for daring to question what the club was doing? It wasn't just Bellotti and Archer.

Er, that would be Tony's uncle, I believe?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
they treated Charlie terribly, another long servant, and on his testimonial year too. Shameful really, no class

I don't understand how you can say that when you have no idea what he is alleged to have done. If its something that he deserves to be sacked for then he should be sacked!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Angry? Well, only at those who show little respect for what Tony Bloom has done for our Club, and will continue to do in the future.

I am actually a very very happy man. No more Poyet, and Village Hall Tight is no longer involved in my Club. Happy days, and "I told you so"!

Nurse, NURSE, NUUUUUUURRRRSSSEEE....

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Maybe it's just me but...at a time when the club is clearly behaving in a much more autocratic and dictatorial way, seeking to control aspects seen previously way beyond its remit (like the ticket exchange on here, for example), as well as playing fairly fast and loose with employment procedures at the risk of surrendering good-will, threatening these silly writs etc etc etc, and all for the sake of squeezing the last financial pip dry, under the catch-all excuse of this under-explained FFP....then it's absolutely VITAL that someone, anyone exists to cast a critical eye over them and provide something of a reality check. Doing so does not mean they're just embittered.

Despite what the club's more desperate sycophants on here might argue, they're not perfect or flawless, nor IMHO does having coughed up all that dosh for the ground make every subsequent action beyond question or scrutiny. Good on Uncle Dick for speaking up. I hope he continues to. It's important.

Well said sir

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't know him personally. I don't even have his mobile number ! I believe he was the greatest chairman for reasons I would have thought were obvious. If it were not for Dicks efforts ( and loads of others ) we would not have The Amex and we might not even have had a BHAFC to support anymore.

Perhaps, but the Amex is much more down to Bloom than Knight. I still think had Dick Knight not stepped in when he did that somebody else would have done and we'd still have a club to support, even if we'd have had to start again. That's not meant to belittle his achievements at all, he fid a fantastic job at keeping the club ticking over during those years, but without Bloom we would still be a league 1 club at the worst ground in the league. And we'd probably have gone bust while at Withdean, as he was funding us while we were there as well. Instead we've become a bigger club than any of us thought possible just a few years ago.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

The only options I could see that we're available LB were the banks or the back of Knights sofas. With the financial banking crisis at its peak I think the sofa option would have left us somewhat short. What other options were there without Blooms involvement ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just looks like sour grapes from a definite Albion legend to me. Still, I've no doubt Sir Dick's comments have pleased those that see conspiracy in almost every aspect of the current regime's work.

IMHO we have to become more 'corporate' to be competitive, as we build the club up to be a sustainable member of the Premier League. The village green preservation society is dead. Some hate this fact, some see it as a necessary 'evil'. I'm in the latter camp.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Perhaps, but the Amex is much more down to Bloom than Knight.

Disagree - it wouldn't matter how much money someone had, if DK hadn't saved the club and then got planning permission there would be no BHA for TB to invest in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here