Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DFS Goldstone?

well said

it may be beyond some peoples understanding why some of us have these opinions. i have not and never will shop there. if you chose to then fair enough.
but those of us that chose NOT to have our own deep felt reasons why we shouldnt.
i dont despise the shops (chains) that are there, just the fact that they ARE there

if that makes any sense ???

Makes perfect sense Dave, and is exactly the same for me.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Well, like the club has "moved on from it", I go to where the club now exists.

That still doesn't mean I move on from despising what went on back then, what became of it and the scene of a crime that still stands it's own monument there.

Even once the new stadium is built, is hosting matches, and is in full-bloomed business and successful - I will not go there. There are plenty of other places to do my shopping.
I think everyone has their own way of dealing with it. I still won't go there but I've promised the wife that I'll consider it once we've moved into the new stadium. Funny thing is she has seen the Albion play only a few times and often curses me for the amount of time I spend watching football, yet she won't go there either. When I asked her she just said 'well, it doesn't seem right'. That from someone who has no passion for the club whatsoever.

Bulldog - I know quite a few who have said enough time has passed/water under the bridge, etc and that's fine with me

NMH - I probably feel more like you do but also wonder if I'm getting bitter and twisted in my old age. If I spent any money there I'd feel as if Archer won somehow

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't live in Brighton anymore, but everytime I visit I actually find it gut wrenching to look at what used to be the Goldstone ground.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Furniture Village and Marsha's are safe.

DFS is on an ancient indian burial ground and you may well end up haunted and killed by a poltergiest if you go there.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
DFS are a bunch of c**ts anyways :angry:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Furniture Village and Marsha's are safe.

DFS is on an ancient indian burial ground and you may well end up haunted and killed by a poltergiest if you go there.

I thought so, i only really remember goldstone as a young lad [am only 22 now] so was difficult to imagine it really! But hold very fond strong memorys of spending saturdays there, not being able to see alot of the game properly! Loved it!

I think everyone has their own way of dealing with it. I still won't go there but I've promised the wife that I'll consider it once we've moved into the new stadium. Funny thing is she has seen the Albion play only a few times and often curses me for the amount of time I spend watching football, yet she won't go there either. When I asked her she just said 'well, it doesn't seem right'. That from someone who has no passion for the club whatsoever.

Bulldog - I know quite a few who have said enough time has passed/water under the bridge, etc and that's fine with me

NMH - I probably feel more like you do but also wonder if I'm getting bitter and twisted in my old age. If I spent any money there I'd feel as if Archer won somehow

That's a good wife you've got there mate. She is probably not going there out of her loyalty to your feelings - and that is a very good attribute.

To the last point you make - a man has to have things in life he stands for, stands against, and standards to which he can tie his flag.
I don't really think it's bitterness to hold to beliefs and mores.
In some ways I'd equate this subject with some other respects I would hold to (what some might glibly lable as superstitions) - like not to build a house on Indian burial ground.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
ditto.

SCR did a 10th anniversary show from there and had to give me a seperate ob unit as I refused to cross the threshold to the whole business park.
Get over it. I for one are now pleased we sold the Goldstone.

Where would we be if we still had it?

Us Brighton fans have had 10 years or so of unique footballing experience. Sure it aint all been fun, but how many can honestly say they wish we stayed at the Goldstone now that Falmer is two years away. Who would have missed Hereford, the protests, the togetherness we had in the last year or so at the Goldstone.

Had we stayed there, we no doubt would not have got Falmer or anywhere else for that matter, because the council wouldn't have been bothered for a start, because we would of had a home. A home that would not support Championship let alone Premiership football, and could never have due to its small footprint. Sure Withdean's a shithole that no one likes, but I think if we hadn't have been booted from the GOldstone, we'd still be there without any proper future. At least in 2 years time, it should be onwards and upwards for us.

So get over it, because without leaving the Goldstone, we wouldn't have the future we are about to have!

That's how I see it anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here