Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DFS Goldstone?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am with Harty on this I have never driven past the ground and will not ever. I have decreed that my coffin will pass there for my funeral. My sons dont agree with me but I will not shop in Toys R Us and if a DFS leaflet comes through the door it goes straight in the bin.

I am sad I know, but The Goldstone had so many pleasant memories for me, that was a major part of my life.

My attitude may change if I ever get to see BHA play at Falmer but I am 65!!!

How the f*** do you manage to compare the demolition of a football ground to the rape and murder of a woman?

How the **** do you NOT compare it??
I was going to The Goldstone when I was 4, I lived around the corner and went there even without a parent! (not that they exactly sanctioned my crawling out of the window to go there).

Why would that ground mean so little that I can overlook what happened, go merrily shopping there and treading over - what I perceive as - the tarmacked-over dust whereupon myriad passions once lived and dreams were made real?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
How the **** do you NOT compare it??
I was going to The Goldstone when I was 4, I lived around the corner and went there even without a parent! (not that they exactly sanctioned my crawling out of the window to go there).

Why would that ground mean so little that I can overlook what happened, go merrily shopping there and treading over - what I perceive as - the tarmacked-over dust whereupon myriad passions once lived and dreams were made real?

I've got loads of good memory's of the place ( even working there ) and every time I visit the place it allways brings them flooding back to me, but like other's i've moved on and looking forward to a brand new stadium being built.

I still cant see the comparison with rape and murder though.

I've got loads of good memory's of the place ( even working there ) and every time I visit the place it allways brings them flooding back to me, but like other's i've moved on and looking forward to a brand new stadium being built.

I still cant see the comparison with rape and murder though.

YOU can't.
I can accept that, but just accept that someone else can.

There are many of us who won't even look.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Alright, another comparison - A big Beatles fan. Pop over for have a nice chat over a cuppa with Mark Chapman - even shout him an almond croissant.

Would you think that Beatlemaniac 'a bit silly' if he preferred not to?

Yeah but nobody's talking about going for a drink with Archer, Stanley or Bellotti are they? or an almond croissant.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I bought a LOVELY sofa and a AMAZING chair from there over Easter - it was NOT lynda barker who deserves a kick in the watsit. It doesnt bother me anymore, although when I did go ther yesterday for work, it made me think that I had just parked on the pitch which gave me a twinge of sadness. Things need to move on as do people but each to their own - its your choice!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove

Get over it, it's long gone. Why not go there ?

Sorry, but I will not get over it. Some of the passion on her re the Goldstone makes my hair stand on end.

As for DFS, according to the adverts they are all cut in half with chainsaws.

DFS are shit, over priced & on the old Goldstone site. We all have a different opinion, thats mine fella.

Yeah but nobody's talking about going for a drink with Archer, Stanley or Bellotti are they? or an almond croissant.

No, but you somehow can't relate to people connecting feelings with the underhand takeover and sale, and the flattening of The Goldstone, with the very tangible likelyhood of Brighton and Hove Albion COMPLETELY going out of existence!

I'm trying to help you to understand what it does mean to many people.

Thankfully the club meant something to someone, or else you would be signing onto Crawley Town, Lewes or maybe Chelsea's website to talk about the game you can't equate passion with.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No, but you somehow can't relate to people connecting feelings with the underhand takeover and sale, and the flattening of The Goldstone, with the very tangible likelyhood of Brighton and Hove Albion COMPLETELY going out of existence!

Of course I can relate to it, I was there to see a lot of it happen. But 10 years is a long time to remain bitter and twisted, and like the club itself i've moved on from it.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Sorry, but I will not get over it. Some of the passion on her re the Goldstone makes my hair stand on end.

As for DFS, according to the adverts they are all cut in half with chainsaws.

DFS are shit, over priced & on the old Goldstone site. We all have a different opinion, thats mine fella.
well said

it may be beyond some peoples understanding why some of us have these opinions. i have not and never will shop there. if you chose to then fair enough.
but those of us that chose NOT to have our own deep felt reasons why we shouldnt.
i dont despise the shops (chains) that are there, just the fact that they ARE there

if that makes any sense ???

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I have to add my voice to those who won't go to any of those places. Maybe the day we play our first game at Falmer (remember there's a credit crunch, 14,000 break even attendances, there's a long way to go yet before Falmer's here...). Until it is, then I feel shopping on the Goldstone is like saying what happened is OK.

Let's all start supporting MK Dons eh?

(My brother won't drive past there either, but he does live in Bournemouth so it's not a major problem!)

Of course I can relate to it, I was there to see a lot of it happen. But 10 years is a long time to remain bitter and twisted, and like the club itself i've moved on from it.

Well, like the club has "moved on from it", I go to where the club now exists.

That still doesn't mean I move on from despising what went on back then, what became of it and the scene of a crime that still stands it's own monument there.

Even once the new stadium is built, is hosting matches, and is in full-bloomed business and successful - I will not go there. There are plenty of other places to do my shopping.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

That still doesn't mean I move on from despising what went on back then, what became of it and the scene of a crime that still stands it's own monument there.

Even once the new stadium is built, is hosting matches, and is in full-bloomed business and successful - I will not go there. There are plenty of other places to do my shopping.
:clap::thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Like others have said each to they're own eh.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
You DON'T understand.

Would you marry the girl of your dreams - your childhood sweetheart, and when some bloke rapes and murders her and gets away with it you'd pop over his local for a chat and a beer with his pals?

Well then, figure it out.

Er..... I DO Understand thankyou very much. I might not have supported the club as long as you have I don't know but I've supported the club since 1981 and went to the Goldstone many a time. So don't tell me I do not understand.

A girl of my dreams has not been raped or murdered etc etc all that has happend is a football stadium has closed that is all !!!!! Brighton and Hove Albion ( unless I'm mistaken ) still exists. If my childhood sweetheart was murdered she would not exist !!!!!!!!!

Too many people still live in the past and cannot move on in life. You perhaps are one of those people.

Er..... I DO Understand thankyou very much. I might not have supported the club as long as you have I don't know but I've supported the club since 1981 and went to the Goldstone many a time. So don't tell me I do not understand.

A girl of my dreams has not been raped or murdered etc etc all that has happend is a football stadium has closed that is all !!!!! Brighton and Hove Albion ( unless I'm mistaken ) still exists. If my childhood sweetheart was murdered she would not exist !!!!!!!!!

Too many people still live in the past and cannot move on in life. You perhaps are one of those people.

According to the poll on the latest thread - there are more of "those people" than you people. Or perhaps your peeps don't care enough to vote?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Update, I found my ideal sofa in furniture village so no trip onto the hallowed turf was needed!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Update, I found my ideal sofa in furniture village so no trip onto the hallowed turf was needed!
phew!

I am a NGANTG(R.I.P.)E myself...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here