Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Des Lynam

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Simon Jordan offers an interesting perspective though. He's not played but he understands the business of the game. He's not really there to talk about tactics.
But he still does, on occasion.

And, on the flipside, ex-pro pundits will talk about transfer fees, sponsors, human rights and everything else that is not actually playing the game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But he still does, on occasion.

And, on the flipside, ex-pro pundits will talk about transfer fees, sponsors, human rights and everything else that is not actually playing the game.
True. They’re not worth listening to either once they go beyond their area of expertise.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Turned into a bit of Victor Meldrew in his old age, I may well go the same way.

He appears intermittently in support of Farage or stuff like this.

Good old Des.

There are so many holes in his argument, top level managers for example who never played at any level.

I think he's still just grumpy at jumping to ITV (for the money) which was a disaster.
Not sure he's allowed to comment on that because he's not politic-ed at the highest level... :wink:

Just imagine if we had those same rules for politics. It would've meant Trump wouldn't have ever got near the White House because he had zero experience of politics.

On a (very) loosely related note, should Gary Nevillle be anywhere near the Dragon's Den? His business experience is League 2, compared with the EPL Joneses, Meadens and Suleymans of this world :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
True. They’re not worth listening to either once they go beyond their area of expertise.
Unless they make a REALLY stupid point and then it becomes quite good entertainment!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He walked away from the BBC for a huge wedge when they lost the football rights. He subsequently admitted he did it for the money alone.

Back fired on him because he never quite recovered and Lineker has arguably matured into a much better presenter.

He has presented the programme for 25 years (the longest standing presenter in it's history), over double the 11 Des did as well as playing the game.

...unlike Des.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Simon Jordan, as much as I want to dislike him, is a very good listen. Re the administration, have a read of his book. The financial crisis amongst other bits crippled him at the worst possible time.
He is excellent.
I love the way he cuts through platitudes, nonsense and other pundits saying what they think people want to hear.
i’ve stopped short of buying his book though!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I listen regularly to Simon Jordan and he generally comments on the business management of football clubs, i.e. the owners perspective, of which he used to be (that clownship up the road). Now and again Souness calls him out if attempts to have a football player opinion by shouting in his scottish tone "you've never played the game Simon". Seems fair to me. We all have our own experience and someone that has played the mens game's view will carry more weight. That's just common sense.

Danny Murphy does that too, when SJ promotes his guess as a fact on the playing side eg “The players have clearly downed tools”.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He walked away from the BBC for a huge wedge when they lost the football rights. He subsequently admitted he did it for the money alone.

Back fired on him because he never quite recovered and Lineker has arguably matured into a much better presenter.

He has presented the programme for 25 years (the longest standing presenter in it's history), over double the 11 Des did as well as playing the game.

...unlike Des.
And Lineker still looks young (to me).

Although I think he's terrific, I would happily see any number of folk, including journos like Chappers, present MOTD.

Oddly, fairly recently-retired players sound like dinosaurs. 'It was never a foul'. Yes it was because it was given. 'That wss never a red' (you can guess the rest). Somehow the most capriciously lightweight of player (Jenas, McManamanamanan) have transformed themselves into old skool hard men when pontificating. And easily outwitted by a clever woman.

In a different arena. if you need an example of a sublime commentator who never played the game, I give you the late art critic Brian Sewell. I loved reading his reviews. He explained the meaning and the joy of art that brought it to life. That's great journalism.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And Lineker still looks young (to me).

Although I think he's terrific, I would happily see any number of folk, including journos like Chappers, present MOTD.

Oddly, fairly recently-retired players sound like dinosaurs. 'It was never a foul'. Yes it was because it was given. 'That wss never a red' (you can guess the rest). Somehow the most capriciously lightweight of player (Jenas, McManamanamanan) have transformed themselves into old skool hard men when pontificating. And easily outwitted by a clever woman.

In a different arena. if you need an example of a sublime commentator who never played the game, I give you the late art critic Brian Sewell. I loved reading his reviews. He explained the meaning and the joy of art that brought it to life. That's great journalism.
Easily outwitted by a clever woman????

but i have to say i totally agree. I was having a conversation earlier where i said i would much rather listen to an informed and erudite female pundit (or commentator) than someone like Paul Merson who seems to have a less well informed opinion than i do - viz Brighton will struggle because their manager is too young, which is the easy opinion to have.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Easily outwitted by a clever woman????

but i have to say i totally agree. I was having a conversation earlier where i said i would much rather listen to an informed and erudite female pundit (or commentator) than someone like Paul Merson who seems to have a less well informed opinion than i do - viz Brighton will struggle because their manager is too young, which is the easy opinion to have.
I wasn't being pejorative about women. I was making the point (perhaps clumsily - moi?) that having the talent to be a pundit is about having the talent to be a pundit, rather than having been a successful footballer (but you knew that, really, I'm sure).

For me, the best former players who now pundite (I have just invented a verb!) are Pat Nevin and Ian Wright. For different reasons.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wasn't being pejorative about women. I was making the point (perhaps clumsily - moi?) that having the talent to be a pundit is about having the talent to be a pundit, rather than having been a successful footballer (but you knew that, really, I'm sure).

For me, the best former players who now pundite (I have just invented a verb!) are Pat Nevin and Ian Wright. For different reasons.
I didn’t consider you were being pejorative about women! it was tongue in cheek “how dare you suggest a woman can outwit a man?” I have a strong and capable wife and two strong and capable daughters who can comfortably hold their own in their chosen fields against all comers - wife retired College Principal, #1 daughter at the Welsh Senedd, #2 daughter has trained as a GP but just gone back to breast surgery.

and thumbs up to Ian Wright and Pat Nevin and others who can actually show they are thinking about what they are saying.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Turned into a bit of Victor Meldrew in his old age, I may well go the same way.

He appears intermittently in support of Farage or stuff like this.

Good old Des.

There are so many holes in his argument, top level managers for example who never played at any level.

I think he's still just grumpy at jumping to ITV (for the money) which was a disaster.
That's exactly it. I find it incredible that there are people even suggesting, Souness-like, that he might have a point.

It turns out that people who have not played the game at the top level, can make top level managers. Conversely top level players don't always make top level managers, indeed they're often spectacular failures. Why is that? The answer is because there is zero correlation between the two jobs; playing football and managing/coaching footballers require different skills. Likewise there is a difference between playing and commentating/summarising. An ex-pro does not have some magical or superior insight into football just because they spent a large part of their lives kicking a ball in a field.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, I was going to bring that up. In the Arts, theatre, music, film etc commentators and critics have almost never worked/performed at the level of the work they're commentating on. You don't have to be a Dutch grand master painter to write or talk about art, you don't have to be a playwright to be able to analyse and critique a play, you don't need to be able so sing to comment on the latest Glyndebourne season. There are many many people over the years (Sewel being a good example) who have produced fantastic, insightful pieces about subjects where they personally have never been anywhere near the top level.

Football is absolutely no different.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I do enjoy listening to Jordon. The owner of Peterborough often fills in for him and he is also good

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Years ago when regularly listening to Sports Report on 5Live from 5pm on Saturdays they would sometimes have the, now disgraced, Stuart Hall summarising some games oop north(Bolton, Blackburn etc). He was actually very entertaining I thought but that was before his shady past came to light!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here