Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Des Lynam

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is good old Des even still alive? Any time I ever saw him outside the Amex he was always completely away with the fairies
The only time I've ever seen him outside an Albion stadium was many years ago, at the pub in Patcham (the Black Horse?). I'd been playing cricket at Patcham Place and Des was in tennis gear with a young woman. He must have been in his 50s then but looked amazingly fit - certainly fitter than most of our cricket team.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's all true and I broadly agree. But people should be able to voice their opinions - informed/based on personal experience or not - IMO. Look at this place, for example - it would be pretty dead if we all just 'stayed in our own lane'.
I'm with Des. Everyone has an opinion these days but the fact remains some opinions are more informed and carry more weight than others.

Pundits, as opposed to presenters and reporters, have the specific role of providing insight and expert analysis. Otherwise, what's the point? Insight comes from first hand experience of the game at the level that is being discussed. It's still broadly true that a male player who'd only ever appeared in the lower divisions would have no chance of getting a punditry gig on a Premier League/European/international game as they wouldn't be considered suitably qualified. The same rules are not applied to female pundits.

All subjective. In the end, each of us decides, "do I care what they think'? I'll watch the ones with something pertinent and insightful to add that teaches me something. So most of the time nowadays, I'm not watching.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Fabian Hurzeler never played the game at the top level or coached at that level. Someone should tell him he's not qualified to talk tactics to Premier League players
Pretty irrelevant. No-one will be falling over themselves to have him dissecting a big Premier League game just yet as he's currently got no direct experience of the competition, English football or the characters involved. Bundesliga, for sure.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Pretty irrelevant. No-one will be falling over themselves to have him dissecting a big Premier League game just yet as he's currently got no direct experience of the competition, English football or the characters involved. Bundesliga, for sure.
As above, replace Hürzeler with Wenger, or Mourinho

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As above, replace Hürzeler with Wenger, or Mourinho
Not sure what your point is. Obviously they’d be great pundits as they have years of proven Premier League experience and, consequently, a wealth of relevant and excellent stories to relate.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Alan Shearer never played in an international tournament final, so why was he allowed to be a pundit on the Euros final this summer?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fabian Hurzeler never played the game at the top level or coached at that level. Someone should tell him he's not qualified to talk tactics to Premier League players
Has someone suggested he isn’t qualified to do that?
loads of top managers haven’t played at the top level

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
A man at the height of his powers

<<< WALLOWING IN NOSTALAGIA COMMENCES HERE >>

Ah, results of games coming in at 4:41PM, those were the days. None of those fancy-schmancy 15-minute half times.

Jumpers for goalposts... Called in for your tea... Next goal wins it... Check CEEFAX... etc etc

<< NOSTALGIA ENDS >>

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Turned into a bit of Victor Meldrew in his old age, I may well go the same way.

He appears intermittently in support of Farage or stuff like this.

Good old Des.

There are so many holes in his argument, top level managers for example who never played at any level.

I think he's still just grumpy at jumping to ITV (for the money) which was a disaster.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I listen regularly to Simon Jordan and he generally comments on the business management of football clubs, i.e. the owners perspective, of which he used to be (that clownship up the road). Now and again Souness calls him out if attempts to have a football player opinion by shouting in his scottish tone "you've never played the game Simon". Seems fair to me. We all have our own experience and someone that has played the mens game's view will carry more weight. That's just common sense.
It’s not as black and white as this in my opinion. Wayne Rooney has played the game to a reasonably high level but cannot articulate his experience and thoughts either as a pundit or as a manager. Journalists and broadcasters who regularly mix and mingle with players can have a wealth of stories they can readily and easily convey. Some players are good, some broadcasters are good, one is not necessarily better than the other.

On this topic, does a player have to have played to a certain level before he can comment? I hope not otherwise we’re f***ed with Fabian Hürzeler

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Alan Shearer never played in an international tournament final, so why was he allowed to be a pundit on the Euros final this summer?
We’re absolutely f***ed with Fabian Hürzeler then. What on earth does he know?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I imagine Bloom will be hoping he is dissecting games our opponents have played :shrug:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Not sure what your point is. Obviously they’d be great pundits as they have years of proven Premier League experience and, consequently, a wealth of relevant and excellent stories to relate.
I think his point is very clear. According to DL Mourinho/Wenger wouldn’t be great pundits:

“The former Match of the Day presenter, 81, said in an interview that he has "no gripe" with female presenters but pundits should have "played it at the level you are talking about - i.e. the men's game".”

……or maybe they are exceptions as they aren’t women?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think his point is very clear. According to DL Mourinho/Wenger wouldn’t be great pundits:

“The former Match of the Day presenter, 81, said in an interview that he has "no gripe" with female presenters but pundits should have "played it at the level you are talking about - i.e. the men's game".”

……or maybe they are exceptions as they aren’t women?
I’m 99.9% sure Des would clarify ‘played or managed’. It’s pretty obvious what he means.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here