Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Des Lynam

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I see what he said has been misinterpreted by a lot of people who can't distinguish between a presenter and a pundit.

He might have a point, but what are his thoughts about the likes of Simon Jordan - and other goons (generally on Talkshite or SSN) - who do 'punditry' without having played the sport 'at that level'?

On the other hand, I don't really give a shit what he thinks anyway. Legend of the Albion and my Grandstand-watching youth, but we've all got our own opinions about stuff where, really, there's never going to be a definitive 'wrong' or 'right' answer:shrug:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I love Des. My late Dad was in most of his classes at Varndean where he was “Dessie” to his mates. Friend of the Albion.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Des has spoken

The former Match of the Day presenter said in an interview that he has "no gripe" with female presenters but pundits should have "played it at the level you are talking about - i.e. the men's game".
He’s right. There is a certain perspective that you can only authentically give if you have experienced the very same.
This does not mean you, me, Simon Jordan, Karen Carney, or whoever cannot have other valid opinions about football.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't know why the sad face - he had a poncho on

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I see what he said has been misinterpreted by a lot of people who can't distinguish between a presenter and a pundit.

He might have a point, but what are his thoughts about the likes of Simon Jordan - and other goons (generally on Talkshite or SSN) - who do 'punditry' without having played the sport 'at that level'?

On the other hand, I don't really give a shit what he thinks anyway. Legend of the Albion and my Grandstand-watching youth, but we've all got our own opinions about stuff where, really, there's never going to be a definitive 'wrong' or 'right' answer:shrug:
I listen regularly to Simon Jordan and he generally comments on the business management of football clubs, i.e. the owners perspective, of which he used to be (that clownship up the road). Now and again Souness calls him out if attempts to have a football player opinion by shouting in his scottish tone "you've never played the game Simon". Seems fair to me. We all have our own experience and someone that has played the mens game's view will carry more weight. That's just common sense.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seen him in The India Gate in Arundel many times, haven’t seen him since COVID.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I listen regularly to Simon Jordan and he generally comments on the business management of football clubs, i.e. the owners perspective, of which he used to be (that clownship up the road). Now and again Souness calls him out if attempts to have a football player opinion by shouting in his scottish tone "you've never played the game Simon". Seems fair to me. We all have our own experience and someone that has played the mens game's view will carry more weight. That's just common sense.
That's all true and I broadly agree. But people should be able to voice their opinions - informed/based on personal experience or not - IMO. Look at this place, for example - it would be pretty dead if we all just 'stayed in our own lane'.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Simon Jordan offers an interesting perspective though. He's not played but he understands the business of the game. He's not really there to talk about tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here