Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derry appeal rejected

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Small clubs don't stand a chance any more. Might as well throw the towel in if ludicrous decisions like that are upheld.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I think clubs only really stand a chance in cases of mistaken identity when it comes to appealing a red card decision.

With the Derry incident, there was contact (minimal at best, but the arm was outstretched and contact was made in the area). As the attacker had a clear run on goal, the ref had to give the red card.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think clubs only really stand a chance in cases of mistaken identity when it comes to appealing a red card decision.

With the Derry incident, there was contact (minimal at best, but the arm was outstretched and contact was made in the area). As the attacker had a clear run on goal, the ref had to give the red card.

But it was offside! Obviously a player should be punished if they harmed, maimed or killed the player, but the last man rule should be void as the chance was invalid.

Presumably the rules don't cater for that, but there is nothing stopping them changing their rules to account for their current shoddy setup.

Either way, the FA need to grow some balls and punish players in retrospect for simulation.

I notice that Balotelli did not get any further punishment for his misdemeanour. Horrendous tackle for his first yellow card.

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
But it was offside! Obviously a player should be punished if they harmed, maimed or killed the player, but the last man rule should be void as the chance was invalid.

Presumably the rules don't cater for that, but there is nothing stopping them changing their rules to account for their current shoddy setup.

Either way, the FA need to grow some balls and punish players in retrospect for simulation.

I notice that Balotelli did not get any further punishment for his misdemeanour. Horrendous tackle for his first yellow card.

absolutely this. the FA are the guardians of the game. I hate this feigning injury. Why dont we make it a non contact sport and just be done with it. At least theres no ambiguity. Ballotelli's tackle was horrific but even worse was the decision of Mancini to keep him on when EVERYONE knew he was gonna get sent off. Ballotelli can f*** off and piss his talent away elsewhere.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
absolutely this. the FA are the guardians of the game. I hate this feigning injury. Why dont we make it a non contact sport and just be done with it. At least theres no ambiguity. Ballotelli's tackle was horrific but even worse was the decision of Mancini to keep him on when EVERYONE knew he was gonna get sent off. Ballotelli can f*** off and piss his talent away elsewhere.

this!
suprised more hasn't been made after mancini's outburst after the match that it was fairly obvious he should've been taken off way before he got sent off

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

But Ivanovic IS going to be punished by the FA for apparently punching a Wigan player. Go figure.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The point about the Derry incident is that the red card was given for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

How can it be a goal-scoring opportunity when the forward is offside?!

It's nonsense.

It was in open play and there was contact, was never going to win the appeal.

Don't see your logic and don't see any logic or common sense from the FA both of which would demand the ban should be overturned. The point of his situation is that A the bloke was offside and B he hugely accentuated the contact and for that he should be punished - simulation is killing our game and making it impossible for referees to ref. I have to say that El Abd is our worst offender and last night in what was otherwise a terrific performance, his antics as though he had been pole axed and writhing around as though he was about to die was a joke. He does it trying to get another player into trouble because other players have got him into trouble and it is a viscious circle that will only end when the authorities do something about it which is probably never.

When someone does commit an horrendous challenge ala Balotelli they let him off on a technicality that one of the officials saw the incident - WTF - so why wasn't he sent off there and then.

All in all while players like Ashley Young can get the likes of Derry sent off and still get away with it after obvious evidence that it was a mistake - football is going to deteriorate into who is best at simulation and causing as much mayhem as possible - if you're happy with that then good luck.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Don't see your logic and don't see any logic or common sense from the FA both of which would demand the ban should be overturned. The point of his situation is that A the bloke was offside and B he hugely accentuated the contact and for that he should be punished - simulation is killing our game and making it impossible for referees to ref. I have to say that El Abd is our worst offender and last night in what was otherwise a terrific performance, his antics as though he had been pole axed and writhing around as though he was about to die was a joke. He does it trying to get another player into trouble because other players have got him into trouble and it is a viscious circle that will only end when the authorities do something about it which is probably never.

When someone does commit an horrendous challenge ala Balotelli they let him off on a technicality that one of the officials saw the incident - WTF - so why wasn't he sent off there and then.

All in all while players like Ashley Young can get the likes of Derry sent off and still get away with it after obvious evidence that it was a mistake - football is going to deteriorate into who is best at simulation and causing as much mayhem as possible - if you're happy with that then good luck.

Rules are rules and until they are changed players will have no chance appealing a red card like that if they make any contact.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What surprises me is that it's taken this incident for people to realise that Ashley Young's a diving cheat. He's been doing the same thing for as long as I can remember.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Hang on. Young was in an offside position - ie he would have been offside if he'd touched the ball.
The red card is for denying a goalscoring opportunity, isn't it?
How on earth can the defender have been denying a goalscoring opportunity, unless Young could score without touching the ball?

As far as I can work out, unless the striker is Yoda, there's no logical way it can be a red card.

Or am I missing something?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if 4 fully grown men cant rescind that red on video evidence then the fa is a spineless turd....!!! absolute f***ing joke of the season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's two things going on here.

One, he may well have been offside, but because that had not been flagged (nor a free-kick given), it was deemed 'play-on' - 'play to the whistle'.

Two, was it a foul in the first place? It's Manchester U-f***ing-nited - of course it was a foul...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Understatement of the year.

Too me it just gives the green light for cheats like AShley Young to go on cheating. FA have just made referees jobs even harder with that decision.

...and el abds theatrics yesterday...or is that OK as he is "one of us"?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The FA need to sort their act out with regard to appeals and after-match decisions. Balotelli should have, in my opinion, had his yellow increased to a red (with subsequent 3 match ban, rather than the 1 match ban he got for a 2 yellow card sending off). Meanwhile Derry's red card should have been rescinded.

The FA are terrified that reforming the appeal system will undermine the officials if their decisions are overturned. In fact, I think it will give officials the opportunity to review their decisions and feed into an after-match disciplinary process would make a fairer game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here