Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derry appeal rejected

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
You said it was a soft penalty. It shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

It was a soft penalty. Derry put his arm on Young when there was no need to, and Young went down and got a penalty, that's soft. The rules of the game state:

A foul occurs when a player commits an offence listed in the Laws of the Game while the ball is in play. The offences that constitute a foul are listed in Law 12. Handling the ball deliberately, tripping an opponent, or pushing an opponent, are examples of "penal fouls", punishable by a direct free kick or penalty kick depending on where the offence occurred. Other fouls are punishable by an indirect free kick.[9]

Would you argue that Derry did not push Young? However soft it might have been, he push him. Which is simply why the decision was not overturned. If there was no contact whatsoever then I'm sure the red card would be rescinded. In the voice of Rafa "these are the facts".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was a soft penalty. Derry put his arm on Young when there was no need to, and Young went down and got a penalty, that's soft. The rules of the game state:

Would you argue that Derry did not push Young? However soft it might have been, he push him. ".

100% I WOULD argue that yes. Derry TOUCHED him. THere is a big difference between TOUCHING and PUSHING. If you honestly think it was a push, you are deluded.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

Would you argue that Derry did not push Young? However soft it might have been, he push him. Which is simply why the decision was not overturned. If there was no contact whatsoever then I'm sure the red card would be rescinded. In the voice of Rafa "these are the facts".

I would argue that he didn't push him, touch yes, push no.

Love Adam El-Abd to bits, he bleeds blue and white stripey blood and if an ALbion player ever gave more effort for the cause ever, then I haven't seen him, but everyone thinks he's different class, whereas if the FA tighten up on the pulling and pushing at corners next season as I am led to beleive they plan to do, then our Adam could be in a spot of bother next year.

We have a few players that play act and try and get others sent off, Adam is one of the main ones. But as you say "he's one of us" so people over look it. It just made Gus' whining at Burnley about the Burnleys tactics and delaying and getting injured even more blaffing, as his side is one of the worst for it. But then again, he was owned so much by Eddie Howe that day, he through his hissy fit and walked off...... surprising to the delight of our own fans.... well most of them anyway.

Let's sort this out about el-Abd - he is not a 'dirty player', he is the player we need to absorb the bully-tactics of opposing big players who want to run us.
AeA gets the better of almost all of them, so he doesn't get as many cards as some people think he might. Refs know what he is doing, he is giving as good as he gets.
Occasionally an opposing twat takes a cheap shot, and shows their dislike with professional fouls - digs in the ribs, punches in the kidneys, scrapes down the calf, step on the achiles, a dead-leg knee, and whatever else they can do without the ref knowing. el-Abd isn't going to be rolling about complaining that a Michael Owen type just did something nasty - he is giving deserved attention to the right players. Even if his complaint was not seen or wasn't valid enough for response - he IS painting the accused into a corner for the rest of the game. In other words the ref has been shown a sign of smoke - if he spots some actual fire from that player, he's going to catch up on that.

The pushy shovey at corners;- if clamped down on it means that Adam won't need to be as physical as a foil to counteract the tactic. What attackers want to do is force our players into a position where they can even be in the way of Brezovan or forced behind their marker at the back post. That's what the pushers are trying to get to happen - so our defenders have to be as strong and steadfast in not letting them get away with it.
el-Abd is a small guy, comparitively - yet he can keep big units from getting any joy or running things their way. They don't like when they can't have their way, they are used to getting it and it is frustrating to concede dominance to a stocky skinhead who they perceive as a talentless dolt.

I still see our own supporters haven't fully caught on to this yet. Gus did a long time ago, but he's an experienced player!
Dean Wilkins saw him sticking his cranium in to head balls where studs were flailing around, and he appreciated that basic desire that over-ruled self-preservation.
Nobody supporting BHAFC should be in any doubt by now, about what AeA means to us. Backbone, guts, passion and an understanding of what is required.
THAT my fellow Seagulls, is priceless.

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
That old chestnut 'There was contact', eh? Is contact not allowed in the box then?

Please everyone repeating this phrase is just providing a charter for cheats. Banish it!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still see our own supporters haven't fully caught on to this yet. Gus did a long time ago, but he's an experienced player!
Dean Wilkins saw him sticking his cranium in to head balls where studs were flailing around, and he appreciated that basic desire that over-ruled self-preservation.
Nobody supporting BHAFC should be in any doubt by now, about what AeA means to us. Backbone, guts, passion and an understanding of what is required.
THAT my fellow Seagulls, is priceless.

It just tarnishes his image a bit, that occasionally he falls to the floor clutching his face like Rivaldo re-born as a bald centre half!

It just tarnishes his image a bit, that occasionally he falls to the floor clutching his face like Rivaldo re-born as a bald centre half!

Read my post again then. He's illustrating something to the ref that - even if it isn't getting anywhere at the time, will bring some attention from referees to watch what is going on. If you were getting niggles from an opposing player, you would want to do it - and I would want you to do it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Read my post again then. He's illustrating something to the ref that - even if it isn't getting anywhere at the time, will bring some attention from referees to watch what is going on. If you were getting niggles from an opposing player, you would want to do it - and I would want you to do it.

It's called cheating. It's like saying Ashley Young was bringing to the ref's attention that he might be bought down in the area at some point. Adam gave his good as he got against Roberts, and he should have left it at that. Going down to the turf clutching his face while the game carried on, only to jump was embarrassing. I'd hate someone doing it to us, just as much as one of ours doing it to anyone else.

It's called cheating. It's like saying Ashley Young was bringing to the ref's attention that he might be bought down in the area at some point. Adam gave his good as he got against Roberts, and he should have left it at that. Going down to the turf clutching his face while the game carried on, only to jump was embarrassing. I'd hate someone doing it to us, just as much as one of ours doing it to anyone else.

Why does anyone do it then, and why don't their managers tell the players "I don't want this done"?
Are all football clubs just barefaced cheats? Including ours?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Why does anyone do it then, and why don't their managers tell the players "I don't want this done"?
Are all football clubs just barefaced cheats? Including ours?
Yes. And yes. It's called conning the referee. All clubs do it instead of ours. I've zero time for the FA and a lot of referees, but you can't have it both ways. Players go down like a sack of shit for no reason, times are the referees will buy it. Ashley Barnes does it all the time, and doesn't always get away with it. How many tims a game do we see Ashley Barnes run at the ref with his arms open after not getting a free kick. I don't think the penatly challenge was a penatly against Reading (just very clever play rom Barnes), but seconds earlier Barnes was dragged to the ground and it was a define pen, as was CMS's

If Man U fans took their red and white specs off, they'd admit Ashley Young is a cheat.

Take your blue and white specs off, AEA was trying to get Roberts sent off, so was trying to cheat. But he's ours, so we love him for it! When the Burnley players got Vincealot sent off, he was a nasty cheating ****. But thats football. You said yourself the ref knows whats goning on, so why the need to over act.

That old chestnut 'There was contact', eh? Is contact not allowed in the box then?

Please everyone repeating this phrase is just providing a charter for cheats. Banish it!

Don't know if this was mentioned much after our grim result on Saturday but I see Mr. Young was at it again yesterday and even Fergie accepted it was 'soft'.

The bloke threw himself to the turf and yet again got away with it. Most sensible fans want this sorting out even if it means our own players get caught out. It needs to be done from the top downwards but alas I doubt the FA, Uefa or Fifa will ever have the balls to do anything to stop these blatant instances of simulation.

There should be an Oscar award each season for best diver not in a wet suit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here