Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby County

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
They are funny!

Got me thinking though, if you were offered a season in the Premiership with the Albion but were told you'd end up with about 10 points for the year, would you take it for the experience or would you stay mid table in the Championship and save the embarrassment?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The £60 Million might influence my decision.

With the effect of being a bit of a laughing stock its going to take a miracle to achieve anything the next season so you would probably end up throwing massive money around and still getting nowhere. It could cause more problems than it solves. Players would know you've got lots of money and demand silly figures to sign.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They are funny!

Got me thinking though, if you were offered a season in the Premiership with the Albion but were told you'd end up with about 10 points for the year, would you take it for the experience or would you stay mid table in the Championship and save the embarrassment?

Big money-spinning play-off run leads to big season ticket and merchandise sales and TV money leads to, OK, for sure, ritual weekly humiliation on the field, but I'm sure the club will take the parachute payment and run. Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all, as they say.

Just a shame the Albion didn't try a bit harder against Port Vale. Play-offs were there for the taking.

Oh well.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the chance to play at places like anfield, old trafford, the emirates, see your team up against the best players in the world, become known across the world - no thanks :jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Big money-spinning play-off run leads to big season ticket and merchandise sales and TV money leads to, OK, for sure, ritual weekly humiliation on the field, but I'm sure the club will take the parachute payment and run. Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all, as they say.

Just a shame the Albion didn't try a bit harder against Port Vale. Play-offs were there for the taking.

Oh well.

Quite, we'd have finished even closer to missing out.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
They are funny!

Southampton look as if they'll be playing us next season. All that money didn't help them much.

Derby were never going to be competitive in the Prem.

They were an average side in the Championship who got lucky and somehow got promoted.

WBA may well have made a better fist of it if they had gone up but Derby were always going to be way out of their depth and I suspect their fans are thinking what a waste of a season it has been.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
They've gotta be the worst team in premiership history, but I'm sure the trips to Anfield and Old Trafford etc together with the millions they've made will make up for that.

They've gotta be the worst team in premiership history, but I'm sure the trips to Anfield and Old Trafford etc together with the millions they've made will make up for that.

Derby seem actually to have shown how NOT to manage a 1-season escapade into the 'promised land'. According to Jewell they have already spent all of the Prem money from this season and the first parachute payment for next season, leaving them only with one more (I think) vastly reduced payment to show for it.

They made the mistake of buying crap Championship players (I'm thinking Earnshaw-style), and then sacking a manager who didn't have a hope, thereby having to pay him off and pay someone else to take over. They then spent more in January, when they were already effectively down.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Derby seem actually to have shown how NOT to manage a 1-season escapade into the 'promised land'. According to Jewell they have already spent all of the Prem money from this season and the first parachute payment for next season, leaving them only with one more (I think) vastly reduced payment to show for it.

They made the mistake of buying crap Championship players (I'm thinking Earnshaw-style), and then sacking a manager who didn't have a hope, thereby having to pay him off and pay someone else to take over. They then spent more in January, when they were already effectively down.

You'd almost be better not buying any new players, just treat the season as a money-making exercise that'll set you up for the next decade – and perhaps one day a more realistic stab at the Premiership.

In fact, why not drop your shirt sponsors for a season, and put "We're only here for the money" on the front of your shirts!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I heard that mentioned. Cannot understand how that is possible because they haven't spent that much but means they will have to sell the few decent Premier League players in the summer. I think they will struggle next season after losing so many games this year and may even face relegation. They have almost gone down from the Championship in other recent seasons.

I am not sure I would accept the Premier League campaign if the club's finances became an issue like that. If we kept the money like Watford and went down comfortably then that would be acceptable but Derby have had such a bad season.

I hadn't really watched them live this season until last night but it must be depressing for their fans that they played okay and Arsenal were average (especially in the first half) and yet they still lost 6-2.

In my opinion, Darren Moore must be one of the worst Premier League defenders ever. It took me back to him and Ian Baird coming to blows in the last game at the Goldstone.

You'd almost be better not buying any new players, just treat the season as a money-making exercise that'll set you up for the next decade – and perhaps one day a more realistic stab at the Premiership.

That was Watford's business plan but it seems to have come off the rails slightly in the past couple of months. However, should they not go up this year there's still next season's parachute payment to come, £600K for being in the Championship and a load of money in the bank. Come to think of it, perhaps promotion after two seasons back in the Championship was the plan?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Got me thinking though, if you were offered a season in the Premiership with the Albion but were told you'd end up with about 10 points for the year, would you take it for the experience

Absolutely not. But then I was around when we were in the old Div 1, so my opinion may be biased by the fact I've already seen Albion play against the big boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here