Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Denmark v England

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
at the age of 27 i finally lost joy in england thanks to the world cup debacle, this time there was no valiant defeat to soften the blow. i joined the ranks of many older and more cynical critics of england - no doubt they had their moments that did it too. world cup 90 got me into football at the age of 7, i still remember it fondly and when i see footage, even the graphics on the screen during the matches takes me back...

yes i'll be watching, but i'm not sure consequences will ever be the same.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lunchtime on the day I normally feel like giving it a miss, but come kick-off I normally cave in to instinct and switch on.

Tonight, however, I'll be making other plans. The fact that Lampard is captain of England is a joke. He's a proven failure at the highest level with England and his legs are not getting any younger.

As for playing Darren Bent, he wasn't good enough over the last 5 years so why is he good enough now? The same can be said about Lescott, Downing, Parker, Agbonlahor, Ashley Young.

We have a 19-year old who hasn't played a full international before, who Cappello is comparing to world greats like Maldini, Baresi and Raul - this is a joke. And who the f*** are Stockdale and Walker?

Biggest shambles since the dark days of Graham Taylor. Cappello is to England what Roy Hodgson was to Liverpool. Get rid of the Italian Clown and come back to me when we have a proper manager.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Lunchtime on the day I normally feel like giving it a miss, but come kick-off I normally cave in to instinct and switch on.

Tonight, however, I'll be making other plans. The fact that Lampard is captain of England is a joke. He's a proven failure at the highest level with England and his legs are not getting any younger.

As for playing Darren Bent, he wasn't good enough over the last 5 years so why is he good enough now? The same can be said about Lescott, Downing, Parker, Agbonlahor, Ashley Young.

We have a 19-year old who hasn't played a full international before, who Cappello is comparing to world greats like Maldini, Baresi and Raul - this is a joke. And who the f*** are Stockdale and Walker?

Biggest shambles since the dark days of Graham Taylor. Cappello is to England what Roy Hodgson was to Liverpool. Get rid of the Italian Clown and come back to me when we have a proper manager.
So you don't want us to play the established players, the fringe players over the last few years, or any new players.

:shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No, I'm saying the squad is full of sub-standard players, but even Graham Taylor would have blushed before picking the likes of Jay Bothroyd.

What kids with talent that are emerging either leave their clubs to go to the likes of Chelsea / Man City and waste 2 years on the sidelines, or are perenially loaned out until the parent club can sell them for a few million to some shower of shite in the bottom half of the table.

Whatever happened to the "next Rio Ferdinand" Michael Mancienne? Why isn't Kieran Gibbs a first choice Premier League left-back? How is Kyle Walker international quality but doesn't figure in Harry's plans? Players like Sidwell and Shaun Wright-Phillips have missed the boat, Danny Welbeck - what's happened to him? Even Theo Walcott's managed to go backward from his hat-trick against Croatia to not making the cut for a poor England WC squad in South Africa. The list goes on.

The need to get instant results and the cheaper, better value foreign players mean managers will go with experience over youth every time.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I've only just remembered Capello is still in charge. Thought the had been replaced for some stupid reason. I'll go and lie down again

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You rate Rafa Benitez, and can't even spell the name of the current England manager properly, who by the way is possibly the most successful (ie pretty f***ing decent) manager currently in football.

Good one.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well it's my birthday today (and consequently anniversary of my first ever Albion game), so I'll be in the pub anyway - may as well watch it. Doubt I would otherwise. I'm not anti-England, I just don't get that excited about friendlies.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Pav, what would your squad and team be then?

Parker and Bent are exactly the players who need to be in the team, one's that play well in the premiership even if they're not the biggest or most glamourous names.

If Lampard's failed at the highest level then who hasn't who's still playing?
Rooney for 2004, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole who else? Sol Campbell, Michael Owen and Beckham?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lampard is a class act and deserved captain, he leads by example both on and off the pitch and the younger players look up to him. We've got a good mix of youth and experience which should hold us in good stead in our quest for the promised land of Poland/Ukraine in 2012.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lampard is a class act and deserved captain, he leads by example both on and off the pitch and the younger players look up to him. We've got a good mix of youth and experience which should hold us in good stead in our quest for the promised land of Poland/Ukraine in 2012.

He may be for Chelsea, never really shown it consistently for his country.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Actually you know what: with 3 hours to kick off, I'm glad they're playing tonight. OK it's a friendly and it won't produce football to set the world alight: but a couple of beers, a game of England footy and a comfy sofa sounds OK for tonight.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Only watch the highlights for friendly games just to see if there are any fringe players worth noting.

That's another problem with the England team. The young players are either going to slated for having a bad game and Capello abused for bringing them in too soon, or they'll have a good game and be built up by the media as the great new hope only to be torn apart should they ever make a mistake with a load of calamity headlines.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
anyone know of a sopcast address that I can get the game on? Struggling to find one (not that I know what I am doing) and am out of the country

Help!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wont normally watch England games as they are so boring but son is coming round for a beer so he will probably want to watch it and so I will watch that and this at the same time..

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
That's another problem with the England team. The young players are either going to slated for having a bad game and Capello abused for bringing them in too soon, or they'll have a good game and be built up by the media as the great new hope only to be torn apart should they ever make a mistake with a load of calamity headlines.

Wise words - unfortunately

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Pav, what would your squad and team be then?

Parker and Bent are exactly the players who need to be in the team, one's that play well in the premiership even if they're not the biggest or most glamourous names.

If Lampard's failed at the highest level then who hasn't who's still playing?
Rooney for 2004, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole who else? Sol Campbell, Michael Owen and Beckham?

I think players like Bent, Upson, Lescott are not only lacking in bottle and top quality but they also don't bring any belief or character to the England camp. I'd rather have the likes of Nolan, Barton and Phil Neville making up the numbers - at least they have confidence and a bit about them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here