Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav **Gone To Stuttgart 09/08/24**

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Nah send him on loan to EFL2. Sick and tired of primadonnas throwing hissy fits demanding that they don't have to honour contracts they signed

Yes, in any other profession or work-place, this kind of attitude would probably end in receipt of a P45, and rightly so.
"He's got bad attitude, lets send him the impressionable youngsters!"

Interesting idea but the £25m looks like a better solution to me.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
"He's got bad attitude, lets send him the impressionable youngsters!"

Interesting idea but the £25m looks like a better solution to me.
In my day, people with a bad attitude were sent to work in a mine until they learnt to appreciate sunlight and functioning lungs.

Everybody's gone soft nowadays. :angry::angry::angry:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's my memory of Denis, a couple of great chips notwithstanding at the end of the season before last.

I don't think he's good enough, poor control and not just the terrible FA Cup semi example, his performance in the main for us were sub-par.

Take the cash and get rid.
Agreed.
My memories of watching him was of a great poacher/ goal scorer but with a poor first touch which led to many attacks breaking down.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not really a fair comparison as his sample size is too small to compare those stats against the others except Andone.

How many of his five PL goals were important or winning goals? None - two came against a pub team we beat 6.0, one against a totally broken Arsenal team we were already beating and the other two were consolation goals in end of season rubbers. His overall play was not good enough for us last season.

I watch a lot of Bundesliga too and him last season and his record there is nothing exceptional to me as I know how poor most of the defences are.

He’s not good enough to get in our team and I’m delighted by the amount of money it looks like we’re going to get for him.
His record in Bundesliga is not exceptional, but it is very good. The defences might be shit, but it's the same defences every other striker was up against, and he was 4th best, with the top 2 being exceptional and scoring at a rate of a goal every 80 minutes.
I don't mind too much if he goes and we get a good fee for him, but I certainly wouldn't be upset to have him in the squad for us.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Not really a fair comparison as his sample size is too small to compare those stats against the others except Andone.

How many of his five PL goals were important or winning goals? None - two came against a pub team we beat 6.0, one against a totally broken Arsenal team we were already beating and the other two were consolation goals in end of season rubbers. His overall play was not good enough for us last season.

I watch a lot of Bundesliga too and him last season and his record there is nothing exceptional to me as I know how poor most of the defences are.

He’s not good enough to get in our team and I’m delighted by the amount of money it looks like we’re going to get for him.

I used to feel the same way about Undav, but now we have added so much pace, we will need someone reliable to hang around up top and finish the chances they create. Danny Welbeck ain't that guy and Ferguson can't be expected to always be fit and in form.

Undav averaged a goal every 117 minutes in Germany.

And a goal or an assist every 78.

He scored against Leverkusen.
Scored against Dortmund.
Got an assist against Bayern
Scored a hatrick against RB Leipzig
Scored 3 and made an assist in 2 games against Frankfurt.

They are the best teams in Germany.

This graphic shows they are no mugs, the equivalent or better than the top ten of the premier League.

1000013798.png

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I used to feel the same way about Undav, but now we have added so much pace, we will need someone reliable to hang around up top and finish the chances they create. Danny Welbeck ain't that guy and Ferguson can't be expected to always be fit and in form.

Undav averaged a goal every 117 minutes in Germany.

And a goal or an assist every 78.

He scored against Leverkusen.
Scored against Dortmund.
Got an assist against Bayern
Scored a hatrick against RB Leipzig
Scored 3 and made an assist in 2 games against Frankfurt.

They are the best teams in Germany.

This graphic shows they are no mugs, the equivalent or better than the top ten of the premier League.

View attachment 186331

Couldn't agree more.

I feel like Undav was finding his groove with us after a run. He's got an absolutely lethal finish, which means goals with service from Minteh/Mitoma/Adringa/ACD etc.

He also adds some physicality which I think we desperately need. Having him and Wieffer attacking and defending set pieces will be so important.

I'm really glad the club are bringing him back into the fold. A good start and I'm sure he'll be glad he stayed!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

You can only score against what’s in front of you and many don’t.

Broken or not, an Arsenal team still going for the title.

He scored regularly in Belgium, Germany and the PL - he is a good player. A pure poacher.

Last season he was exactly what we needed as once Ferguson was injured we didn’t have a natural finisher.

Would he get in our best full strength team with everyone on playing to the top of their level, probably not, but the season doesn’t work like that and there are plenty of dips.

I would also take £30m, but I do think there are a lot of people underestimating him.

Often agree with you, but really don’t on this.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Agreed.
My memories of watching him was of a great poacher/ goal scorer but with a poor first touch which led to many attacks breaking down.
same , pretty frustrating , was pretty ineffective outside the box. Almost to the point it held us back but as a finisher , he was the best at the club.

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
Don't get Club stance on Undav, Gilmour could go cheap or cheaper than alot of us would like, Gross...great servant but club won't stand in his way, Undav pushed from pillar to post...found form and personal happiness yet club being pedantic over a few quid when MOST of us know £25m is good money and an offer we are not likely to get again. Now IF Ferguson is injured then I get why club want him to stay.If he's threatened striking again i get clubs stance.I've also read that he wants a four year deal but Stuggart only three. I would like to think Hurzeler has spoken to both club and player. This is one weird saga but then we never do things the easy way. I get why alot of clubs find Bloom difficult to deal with and their fanbase the same. I wouldnt want it any other way and being a seagull is never boring.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What we don't want is an unhappy player. Not the best way to start the season. Get rid.
Nope

What we absolutely don't want to do is accept offers under our valuation, just because a player threatens to throw a strop.

If Stuttgart don't think he's worth it fair enough.
I'm sure another loan to USG can be arranged, if he doesn't fancy it here.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Deniz is a decent footballer. Good finishing and decent passing. He's just not quite as allround as a modern Premier League striker needs to be in order to be a regular starter. Ball control and technique isn't really up to it, and neither is his ability to muscle of defenders in a target-like role.

Could he be useful? Sure, but hopefully not. Joao Pedro, Julio Enciso, Evan Ferguson and Danny Welbeck should be more than enough given its likely to be just one man up front.

Think he'll go eventually and that we're just playing some market games.

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
Nope

What we absolutely don't want to do is accept offers under our valuation, just because a player threatens to throw a strop.

If Stuttgart don't think he's worth it fair enough.
I'm sure another loan to USG can be arranged, if he doesn't fancy it here.
Would of been interesting to know what our valuation of him would of been this time last year. I would of been happy with 15m 12months ago...what would yours of been just out interest and not being Pedantic?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Deniz is a decent footballer. Good finishing and decent passing. He's just not quite as allround as a modern Premier League striker needs to be in order to be a regular starter. Ball control and technique isn't really up to it, and neither is his ability to muscle of defenders in a target-like role.

Could he be useful? Sure, but hopefully not. Joao Pedro, Julio Enciso, Evan Ferguson and Danny Welbeck should be more than enough given its likely to be just one man up front.

Think he'll go eventually and that we're just playing some market games.
His technique and touch is actually quite good, of course he’s not a target man, but then neither are a number of strikers.

As per my earlier post, his strength is around the box and converting half chances, an asset which our forwards struggle with.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Would of been interesting to know what our valuation of him would of been this time last year. I would of been happy with 15m 12months ago...what would yours of been just out interest and not being Pedantic?
I wanted him to stay last season, because he offers us something different.

He's a proven goalscorer.
Offers little else, but there's a premium on players with that skill.

Can't think of too many Premier League strikers in their mid twenties, that get sold for less than £25m.
I think our valuation of players is often very close to their true value.

Which is probably why the club protected themsleves in the loan deal with Stuttgart.

Stumpy Tim

Do you actually think our formation will allow us to have a player who can "hang around up top"? Look at the friendlies where Welbeck was consistently dropping deep to pull out a centre-back, giving us more space to counter. Look at our patterns of play... there are no goal-hangers in this team.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Do you actually think our formation will allow us to have a player who can "hang around up top"? Look at the friendlies where Welbeck was consistently dropping deep to pull out a centre-back, giving us more space to counter. Look at our patterns of play... there are no goal-hangers in this team.

I don't take too much notice of how we played in Japan, we played a system to suit those players we had available at that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here