Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav **Gone To Stuttgart 09/08/24**

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
People go on about buy backs as though the player has no choice in the matter. It makes no difference if we have a buy back but the player isn't interested in coming back.

I think Stuttgart are just trying to play hardball - €20m is not too much money for a side with a CL windfall incoming, plus likely a nice chunk of cash coming in for Guirassy too.
It would double their record signing, like asking Bloom to spend £60m on a single player.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I can understand letting him go on the cheap (which £20m is) if he wasn't playing much, playing well or had deep family problems meaning he had to go home. But the player had a storming season and poor, broke little ol' Stuggart finished 2nd in the German league and Undav has ended up playing at the Euros. Surely bigger fish are now interested that will pay more.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Then Paul Barber joined the call and explained what a contract is (it went on a bit……)
This is the bit I'm quite confused about and perhaps someone with more knowledge of buy-back deals understands...

If Stuttgart paid the fee and he agreed a contract, and we triggered the buy-back clause, couldn't Undav just turn down our contract offer and remain a Stuttgart player?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is the bit I'm quite confused about and perhaps someone with more knowledge of buy-back deals understands...

If Stuttgart paid the fee and he agreed a contract, and we triggered the buy-back clause, couldn't Undav just turn down our contract offer and remain a Stuttgart player?
I think someone would actually have to see the contract to opine on that bit.

My ‘guess’ is that we are simply playing hardball on the fee AND we want Undav to submit a transfer request thus voiding outstanding wages.

I’m growing tired with ‘Stuttgart can’t afford it, record signing’ shite. So don’t try to buy a contracted player from an EPL club then when you’ve just publicly hit the UCL jackpot and that player was a big part of you doing that!! It feels a bit Ben White again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think someone would actually have to see the contract to opine on that bit.

My ‘guess’ is that we are simply playing hardball on the fee AND we want Undav to submit a transfer request thus voiding outstanding wages.

I’m growing tired with ‘Stuttgart can’t afford it, record signing’ shite. So don’t try to buy a contracted player from an EPL club then when you’ve just publicly hit the UCL jackpot and that player was a big part of you doing that!! It feels a bit Ben White again.
Pragmatically, we'll also have no interest in bringing a player back who doesn't want to be here - that doesn't suit anyone.

We'll not say that, of course. As you suggest we'll be playing hardball to get the best possible outcome for the club.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I wonder if “his perspective” is he doesn’t want to come back at all, or he doesn’t want to come back and be a bit part player. I suspect the former.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
It would double their record signing, like asking Bloom to spend £60m on a single player.
They're the second best team last season in the German top flight, and have champions league football (and income) next season. Previous transfer records aren't relevant - if they don't break that record, and significantly, this summer then that would be far more shocking.

I remember when we SMASHED our transfer record on Craig Mackail Smith. You progress upwards and the players cost more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

They're in the CL and Undav is an excellent player. If they can't pay the going rate, then he should play elsewhere.

If we let them have him cheap because that money means too much to them, they'll end up selling him to someone else for a profit.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
This has the feel of us trying to buy a player who doesn’t want to come here :rolleyes:

I hope we play very hard hardball with Stuttgart over this. I find it hard to believe that we are desperate to bring a player back who has made it very clear in the media that he doesn’t want to. Stuttgart are trying to play TB imo, I doubt they’ll win but it could drag on

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
They're the second best team last season in the German top flight, and have champions league football (and income) next season. Previous transfer records aren't relevant - if they don't break that record, and significantly, this summer then that would be far more shocking.

I remember when we SMASHED our transfer record on Craig Mackail Smith. You progress upwards and the players cost more.
The TV money is €25m per season nothing like the riches of the PL.
That is the major difference.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
The TV money is €25m per season nothing like the riches of the PL.
That is the major difference.

Their other striker Guirassy has a £15m release clause, and looks like he'll be off this Summer - so they should have the cash.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Their other striker Guirassy has a £15m release clause, and looks like he'll be off this Summer - so they should have the cash.
Possibly although would it be prudent to spunk the lot ond now more on Deniz.
They probably view a tour in the champions league as we did the Europa great but we aren’t going to break the bank trying to compete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here