Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defoe

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Despite his 2 goals tonight i still dont see Defoe as an international footballer.

International finisher YES

International player/footballer NO

There is a big difference between the two.

Hes not the answer is he..... ?

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Never rated him before but he was very lively tonight and looked like he was mid-season form. He's probably "on the plane" if he keeps that up.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Always had the talent, just never really showed it on the International stage. Quick and tricky and the fella's got some shot on him. Maybe he's finally coming of age, could be a good weapon for South Africa.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Seriously? I think he's England's best striker on form. Would Hesky/Agbonlahor/Cole/Ashton/Crouch/Beattie/Johnson have scored that first goal? Left footed? I think not. Obviously, the other big two would have done. Owen and Zamora.

Personally, I quite like Defoe. He's deadly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont know, some dont like Heskey because despite the graft he doesnt get the goals, here we have a pop at Defoe because despite the goals he might not have a complete all round game...

i've always been luke warm about him, but he's developed/developing nicly, a few years ago he was pretty shite and would have fluffed it.

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
Just back from the game and I was impressed with Carlton Cole, so strong, won nearly everything and nearly always found his own team mate with his pass

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His best EVER game for England, being as all his previous goals have come against Andorra and Kazakhstan.
But I'd still have Owen coming off the bench ahead of him.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Defoe is probably the best finisher we have in my opinion, ideal player to be coming of the bench, no more than that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me he is a copy of Jimmy Greaves and can sit and play with him self for 80 mins of a game if he wishes provided he can score 2 in the other 10 minutes each game.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's just too greedy....now i like forwards to be greedy but you know that given half a chance he will shoot from the most acute of angles when a simple 10 yard pass or cut back will provide a tap in for a team mate, yet he wont see it or wont play it.

Thats the difference between an international finisher and an international footballer in my opinion.

Rooney knows it too you can see it when they play together.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His best EVER game for England, being as all his previous goals have come against Andorra and Kazakhstan.
But I'd still have Owen coming off the bench ahead of him.

This is turning into a rather sad crusade Easy, Owen would not have scored two goals, he would have pulled a hamstring chasing a ball , probably :p

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I really don't like the gap toothed gypsy, but even I have to admit that everytime he comes off the bench for England he seems to do the job.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He did alright last night and that finish was brilliant. If he starts the season well I'm not adverse to giving him a start in one of the big games.

And I HATE Jermaine Defoe, properly.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's just too greedy....now i like forwards to be greedy but you know that given half a chance he will shoot from the most acute of angles when a simple 10 yard pass or cut back will provide a tap in for a team mate, yet he wont see it or wont play it.

Thats the difference between an international finisher and an international footballer in my opinion.

Rooney knows it too you can see it when they play together.
That's how I see it. Great finish from the gap toothed tosser for his first, mind.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Should be on the plane I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here