Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defoe

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Despite his 2 goals tonight i still dont see Defoe as an international footballer.

International finisher YES

International player/footballer NO

There is a big difference between the two.

Hes not the answer is he..... ?

Just don't get your distinction at all Marshy.

What is Jermaine Defoe in the team for? Unlike Heskey, who is there to make life difficult for defenders, to act as a foil and to make chances for Rooney, Defoe is there to simply score goals which he did superbly well last night. That is his job. And he looked razor sharp. Now let's see if he can take that form into the season and to South Africa next summer.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What can he have done to you?

Hate is the wrong word.

He frustrates me. On form he is probably the most dangerous English goalscorers we have but he's never pushed that on to the international stage and when thigs aren't going is way he is a petulant little fucker and puts on a face that urges you to stamp on it. Hopefully he'll start scoring for Spurs (in high scoring games they lose) and this time carry that kind of form that he had at Pompey for a while, into the internaitonal scene.

I do hope Owen can get his form back instead though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just don't get your distinction at all Marshy.

What is Jermaine Defoe in the team for? Unlike Heskey, who is there to make life difficult for defenders, to act as a foil and to make chances for Rooney, Defoe is there to simply score goals which he did superbly well last night. That is his job. And he looked razor sharp. Now let's see if he can take that form into the season and to South Africa next summer.

The distinction is as follows..

He's just too greedy....now i like forwards to be greedy but you know that given half a chance he will shoot from the most acute of angles when a simple 10 yard pass or cut back will provide a tap in for a team mate, yet he wont see it or wont play it.

Thats the difference between an international finisher and an international footballer in my opinion.

Rooney knows it too you can see it when they play together.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The distinction is as follows..

He's just too greedy....now i like forwards to be greedy but you know that given half a chance he will shoot from the most acute of angles when a simple 10 yard pass or cut back will provide a tap in for a team mate, yet he wont see it or wont play it.

Thats the difference between an international finisher and an international footballer in my opinion.

Rooney knows it too you can see it when they play together.

But you're missing the bigger picture: he scored 2 goals last night and you're still slagging him off!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ignore what Defoe did before Capello was manager.

In a time when England have a dearth of striking options the little gap-toothed fella has scored 7 in 9 under Fabio's tenure. What last night did is cement his place in the WC2010 squad.

He is quick, two-footed and has an eye for goal. His weakness is that he can be selfish, but that isn't a dealbreaker in Capello's eyes.

The other point about Defoe that nonbody's made is that he holds the English league record for scoring goals in consecutive games - 10 games in a row.

To win a tournament you need to do well in 7 matches, and the team that wins normally has a prolific striker who nets around 5 or 6 goals. Jermain Defoe could be our Toto Schillaci or Paolo Rossi, potentially.

Where does this leave Michael Owen? A little further down the pecking order, but nothing that a few goals against quality Champions League opposition won't put right.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But you're missing the bigger picture: he scored 2 goals last night and you're still slagging him off!

Aaahhh there lies the bigger picture....when it comes to an important game that means something i can see Defoe shooting in a situation where he should be teeing up a team mate. This will be the difference between winning and losing potentially at the world cup.

Im not saying i dont want Defoe in the squad, far from it, he's nailed on for that, but i dont see him as a starting 11 player, hence my point " is he the answer ?" i dont think so.

In the 15 minutes that Defoe was on the pitch with Rooney there were a couple of occasions when Rooney was screaming for the ball, Rooney might as well have been playing for the opposition as Defoe just didnt see him at all and then ends up apologising afterwards.

All very well if he smashes it in the back of the net like last night. But as i say in the long run it will be very costly, until/unless Defoe can sort out his awareness of other players on the pitch he will always be an impact player for 15 mins at the end of the game if were looking for a goal.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Please PLease Please let Owen have an injury free season and get back in the starting 11 its the only way we will have a chance next summer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last night. Did he do anything other than score those two goals (one of which any decent strike would score, and carlton cole would have if defoe missed it)?

There's just something about him that irritates me in a way that it doesn't matter how well he plays I won't like him (much like Ronaldo - though having said that, now he doesn't wear a man utd shirt I'm not so quick to anger about him).

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last night. Did he do anything other than score those two goals (one of which any decent strike would score, and carlton cole would have if defoe missed it)?

There's just something about him that irritates me in a way that it doesn't matter how well he plays I won't like him (much like Ronaldo - though having said that, now he doesn't wear a man utd shirt I'm not so quick to anger about him).

You'll be saying Geoff Hurst did nothing in 1966 World Cup Final next.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You'll be saying Geoff Hurst did nothing in 1966 World Cup Final next.

Well really, would we have missed hurst? We had the linesmen on our side...

I thought I was being pretty open about my not paying much attention to the game. I just saw this thread and felt like expressing my inexplicable dislike of defoe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Please PLease Please let Owen have an injury free season and get back in the starting 11 its the only way we will have a chance next summer.

Owen has done nothing for a few years now, he will be lucky to get on the plane. I would take Defoe over him and I dont really rate him

As unselfish as our players were last Saturday, I could see no chance of us scoring unless SOMEONE took a shot, or at least took on an opposing player.

We are not Arsenal in disguise, and are never going to waltz through defenses with stunning passing moves.

Oh for a mini-Defoe. (think; rhymes with "he's alright" :thumbsup: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here