Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Definitive McGhee Poll

What do you REALLY think?

• McGhee is doing a brilliant job.

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Keep McGhee because we wont get anyone better and cost too much to sack him

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Struggling but give him a bit more time.

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • McGhee out.

Votes: 15 14.4%

• Total voters

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ok maybe not battered in the final. OF COURSE I was there.

We certainly did not deserve to go through from the semis though and we did get BATTERED by Bristol at Withdean.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Yes I suppose thats true coz the clipboard kid was in charge for 3 or 4 games which included the traditional capitulation at Brentford. r
But of course, how could i forget such a thing, a defeat away at Bournemouth aswell wasn't it?... All is forgiven, CLIPBOARD OUT! :angry: :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Ok maybe not battered in the final. OF COURSE I was there.

We certainly did not deserve to go through from the semis though and we did get BATTERED by Bristol at Withdean.

I had other fish to fry that day at Withdean so fortunately missed the BATTERING :lol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Start supporting the manager, and the team... he's done a brilliant job against the odds...

And criticising a manager that won us promotion... you truly are a bunch of to$$ers...

The assessment of the play-off final shows that (a) you have such twisted views of MM that you have lost your grip on reality, or (b) you no NOTHING about football...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have already said perhaps I got a bit excited and overplayed how lucky we were in the play off final.

Having calmed down I can appreciate we played well, defended well and snuck a goal.

The point I was trying to make was that although we were promoted there was a LARGE amount of good fortune in it which cannot be put down to McGhee.

I also wonder why the same argument isnt used for Leon Knight, who let us not forget, scored the GOALS that won us promotion.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
B.W. said:
Start supporting the manager, and the team... he's done a brilliant job against the odds...

And criticising a manager that won us promotion... you truly are a bunch of to$$ers...

The assessment of the play-off final shows that (a) you have such twisted views of MM that you have lost your grip on reality, or (b) you no NOTHING about football...

It is all about opinions though.

You signature calls for Knight to get the cheque book out. Maybe, just maybe Knight is a tad worried about giving money to a game that has blown £150k on an Argentinian with no first touch, paid money for a trolley, oh and given Molango a 3 year deal. Now he has also fallen out with one of our strikers. It might be a case of, there has to be a really good reason for us to sign them and I might get a second opinion, such as somebody actually watches the player rather than relies on a 90 second DVD of all the players career goals and checking the stats on FM05.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
can someone name me a manager who could have done what he has,with the resources we have, that we could afford,
hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Richie Morris said:
I have already said perhaps I got a bit excited and overplayed how lucky we were in the play off final.

Having calmed down I can appreciate we played well, defended well and snuck a goal.

The point I was trying to make was that although we were promoted there was a LARGE amount of good fortune in it which cannot be put down to McGhee.

I also wonder why the same argument isnt used for Leon Knight, who let us not forget, scored the GOALS that won us promotion.
We weren't lucky AT ALL in the playoff final. It was a fairly even game decided by blatent penalty which Leon tucked away. We were lucky against Swindon - but we did finish above them, so who cares.

I can't be arsed to argue about Leon Knight - it's all been done in the past week.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Uncle Buck said:
Paul Simpson at Carlisle.

but would he do a better job?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
He has got them back in the League, looks to be taking them up again and their financial plight is worse than ours.

They were also the biggest club in the Conference and are probably the biggest club in League 2 so will have no trouble attracting the best players at that level...bad comparison to McGhee and Albion's current plight imo.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
They were also the biggest club in the Conference and are probably the biggest club in League 3 so will have no trouble attracting the best players at that level...bad comparison to McGhee and Albion's current plight imo.

I suspect in the Conference, Exeter, Hereford, Aldershot, York would have something to say about it.

They have not gone and splashed money once back in the League, he has just quietly been turning things round after the carnage left by previous managers and regimes.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
glasfryn said:
can someone name me a manager who could have done what he has,with the resources we have, that we could afford,
hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Peter Taylor

Mickey Adams

Steve Coppell

Danny Wilson

Phil Parkinson

Tony Pulis (yes ok long ball)

Mark Wright

Martin Allen

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:

I have previously recognised that we wouldn't have won promotion last time round without Leon's goals... equally, MM's management was a vital ingredient... do you recognise this?...

Yes, we were lucky against Swindon, especially at home... overall tho', I don't see MM as a particularly lucky manager... look at our injury list, for example...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
I suspect in the Conference, Exeter, Hereford, Aldershot, York would have something to say about it.
How many of those teams managed a league gate of over 10,000 then? How many averaged 6,500 last season? How many have played in the top flight?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
It is all about opinions though.

You signature calls for Knight to get the cheque book out. Maybe, just maybe Knight is a tad worried about giving money to a game that has blown £150k on an Argentinian with no first touch, paid money for a trolley, oh and given Molango a 3 year deal. Now he has also fallen out with one of our strikers. It might be a case of, there has to be a really good reason for us to sign them and I might get a second opinion, such as somebody actually watches the player rather than relies on a 90 second DVD of all the players career goals and checking the stats on FM05.

I agree MM has made several mistakes in the transfer market... El Turi looks like the worst decision he has made while in charge... however, all managers make such mistakes...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Peter Taylor - not likely he would leave Hull for us...

Mickey Adams - not likely he would leave Cov for us...

Steve Coppell - you are joking, surely!...

Danny Wilson - turned us down once...

Phil Parkinson - better than MM?...

Tony Pulis (yes ok long ball) - like his track record of keeping teams up, but probably wouldn't leave Plymouth...

Mark Wright - no!...

Martin Allen - compensation, proven track record?...

Hmmm...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the poster about a lack of balance in the poll options. I'm with the bloke who thinks McGhee's doing an OK job given the hand he's been dealt.

NSc never ceases to amaze me over how it can rewrite history. We deserved to go up from the play-offs even if we did have good fortune along the way because we were better than Bristol City and Swindon that season.

McGhee showed how good a manager he can be by taking Virgo out of obscurity and getting him to score vital goals. Goals like the one vs Swindon in the play-offs are why managers will spend £1.5 million.

Yes, McGhee f***ed up with Turienzo, Dodd and Molango but this is more than offset by fees for Virgo, Harding and Currie.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here