Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Definitely Maybe is 20 years old. What's your favourite track?

Favourite track from Definitely Maybe

• Rock 'n' Roll Star

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Shakermaker

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Live Forever

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • Up In The Sky

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Columbia

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Supersonic

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Bring It On Down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cigarettes & Alcohol

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Digsy's Dinner

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Slide Away

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • Married With Children

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Having found them on Spotify I was surprised to see just how many more albums they have.

I bought Definitely Maybe, What's the Story, Be Here Now and The Masterplan when they were each released but quickly lost interest after that. It would appear there are a further FOUR studio albums after these, none of which I know ANYTHING about.

Whilst What's the Story is also a SEMINAL album I still think Definitely Maybe is their best work and it seems a shame that they've actually got quite the back catalogue, with (presumably) none of it ever hitting the heights of their very first release.

Anyway, for me, it's a toss up between Columbia and Bring It On Down, which are both AWESOME

Patches rather than sustained brilliance on the final four albums. If you could pick tracks of the last four you might make one and a half decent albums at most.

1.****in in the Bushes - Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
2.Go Let It Out - SOTSOG
3.Gas Panic - SOTSOG
4.Hindu Times - Heathen Chemistry
5.Hung in a Bad Place - Heathen Chemistry
6.Songbird - Heathen Chemistry
7.Turn Up The Sun - Don't Believe the Truth
8.The Importance of Being Idle - Don't Believe the Truth
9.I'm Outta Time - Dig Out Your Soul
10.To be Where There's Life - Dig Out Your Soul

That would represent a decent album not far behind Morning Glory but still miles away from The Masterplan & Definitely Maybe.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Thought it all sounded like a lot of whiny Northern shit myself.........and 20 years later I still do.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Supersonic.

It used to be Live Forever - still a great song...but Supersonic is just brilliant.

My first son was born to 'Slide Away'. True story.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Chalk up one for Columbia. But on any given day it could be any of 5 others.

Strictly it's not 20 until August though.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Chalk up one for Columbia. But on any given day it could be any of 5 others.

Strictly it's not 20 until August though.

True, but it's probably fair to say most of these songs had already been written and recorded long before the official release of the album. Besides, it is only this very week that the album became available on Spotify, which is reason to celebrate in itself

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
They were so ****ing awesome at Glastonbury In 1995. Still never seen a crowd jump like they did for Rock n Roll Star. Slide Away also showcased Liam G at his brooding, malevolent best.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
True, but it's probably fair to say most of these songs had already been written and recorded long before the official release of the album. Besides, it is only this very week that the album became available on Spotify, which is reason to celebrate in itself

Agreed - and it is a bit mind boggling to think that it's 20 years ago.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Got to be Supersonic for me - what a ballsy, riffy classic. Love Slide away and Columbia too.

Still annoyed I didn't take the chance to go to Glasto in 1994 and sneak in. Mind you I would have probably missed them anyway - and be even more annoyed now!

Saw the Sunday night in 95 at Earls Court and MK Bowl in 2005 I think. Within ten years the crowd had gone from a music loving crowd to a mass of beered up fatnecks, real shame.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Live Forever.

Such an incredible song musically, the lyrics are powerful and, to me, inspiring. Not to mention that it just keeps getting bigger.

It's always been my favourite song but after being in a nasty car smash on the way to the MK Bowl gig in 2005 it took on a bigger meaning for me personally when they played it there. When you consider that you could have died not five hours ago and now you're watching your favourite band playing your favourite song it does something to you.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
1994/95 was my last year at high school, 1996 was first lads holiday abroad, truly the best times of my life and this album played a MASSIVE part. For me it's a toss up between rock and roll star, live forever and supersonic.

And slide away.

And cigarettes and alcohol.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Rock and Roll Star for me (and them?) as it either opened or ended their gigs for the 5 times I saw them early doors. Their first tour of 300/400 venues saw the only gig moved to a larger venue, due to demand, was Brighton Pavillion Theatre when with a week to go it was moved to the East Wing & the largest crowd to see them play of 600 heard them, with unbelievable arrogance sing 'Look at you now you're all in my hands tonight' This was before they had released a single Or album. Marvellous stuff and the brothers made sure that all of us at the after show party in The Escape had a little chat. Memorable night
They toured again after the album was released this time to 1000/2000 venues and again at the end near Xmas? Brighton again set a new record for them 5,000 at the Centre. Great times

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Supersonic over here. I loved that album.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Rock and Roll Star for me (and them?) as it either opened or ended their gigs for the 5 times I saw them early doors. Their first tour of 300/400 venues saw the only gig moved to a larger venue, due to demand, was Brighton Pavillion Theatre when with a week to go it was moved to the East Wing & the largest crowd to see them play of 600 heard them, with unbelievable arrogance sing 'Look at you now you're all in my hands tonight' This was before they had released a single Or album. Marvellous stuff and the brothers made sure that all of us at the after show party in The Escape had a little chat. Memorable night
They toured again after the album was released this time to 1000/2000 venues and again at the end near Xmas? Brighton again set a new record for them 5,000 at the Centre. Great times

yep it was the whatever tour in dec 1994 saw them at centre supported by lee mavers, maybe ride as well? What a band they were - if they had split up/perished after knebworth they would be known as one of the greatest bands ever to walk the earth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here