Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defence next season ...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Almost without exception people put out their "suggested" formation for Albion for next season as 4-4-2; surely we're going to play 5-3-2 with two attacking wing backs?

#justsayin

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We have three good wingers, it would seem a bit of a waste to not play ANY of them. Also from what I've read Bruno is not such a cavalier fullback as Calde, I'm sure he will still get forward but I don't think he's a wingback.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't see why you'd have players like Calderon & Bridge and play traditional full back style with the occassional forey from either of them. Think we'd have a better shape as five at the back with BOTH full backs pushing on. With three strong and energetic midfielders it would allow us to create more space with which to move the ball around. Felt at times last season we appeared too predictable and, I think, Gus would prefer to play more expansive football and this gives him that option.

As I said justsayin, it's only an opinion and could be completely wrong, hey, it wouldn't be the first time!

Edit: Yes didn't think of Bruno in this, but to be honest what goods a boxer going to be for us?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Suggested yesterday for this reason.

If you consider that Vicente and Bridcutt are probably going to be shoe in's to start then I dont think we will go 4 - 4 - 2 at all.

GP will probably try a few things out , all our promotion teams have been able to switch formations pretty easily so we'll no doubt mix it up a bit.

DEN_WSU

Jan 5, 2012
Brighton
More likely to play a 3412 like this

TK
BSG GG WB
WB LB New KLL
VR
CMS Rhodes

Sorry but no chance, that's way too attacking for gus. Much more likely to be a 4 4 1 1 or 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 how ever you want to call it with Vicente off a striker and two central midfielders.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
With the latest signings hope Poyet will drop the walking pace passing by defenders and instead get the ball through to our strikers,quicker.
What I would like to see with our larger squad is a home side playing attacking football and a more defensive team selected for away matches, this should still give us a top half position in the league and provide the flair and goals
which we enjoyed in League 1.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think GP will want to have a squad that is totally flexible and can play 442 or 5311 or whatever depending on the opposition .

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Kuszczak
Bruno - Greer - El-Abd - Bridge
Bridcutt
New Midfielder - Vicente

With either one winger and two strikers, or two wingers and one striker, depending on the oppo.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Some good points but the real gem is, as a few have said, is our ability to switch formation, which we didn't last year. The last few games demonstrated that teams found out how to play against us and to neutralise us, we didn't have a response.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What I would like to see with our larger squad is a home side playing attacking football and a more defensive team selected for away matches, this should still give us a top half position in the league and provide the flair and goals
which we enjoyed in League 1.

Why do you think we will have a larger squad?

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
Why the hell would we have been slowly developing a patient intelligent passing game just to give up suddenly and hump it up the pitch to the strikers as fast as we can? The next step in the progression is to develop/get in players who can play "walking pace" as you put it but then when the opportunity arises in a game inject sudden bursts of faster passing to break the opposition down. If we are a goal up or it is the first half, patience and keeping the ball is a higher priority.

Spot on IMO Plooks. The next step is to move the ball quicker when needed but in the same way. That's why people like Bridge and Vicente are key.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Kuszczak
Bruno - Greer - El-Abd - Bridge
Bridcutt
Buckley - New Midfielder - Vicente - LuaLua
CMS

With either one winger and two strikers, or two wingers and one striker, depending on the oppo.

This, with two wingers and Vicente playing further forward in the hole. :thumbsup:

Although if we are getting a top striker in, and we intend to help CMS, I guess that means 2 strikers at least some of the time.

I had always thought that the intention was to play just two central midfielders once we had a strong/powerful enough box to box midfielder to work alone in the middle with Bridcutt? That would free up a player to come upfront with CMS, effectively giving us a diamond 4-4-2.

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The formation is not going to change much if anything from last season I doubt we will start with 2 wingers in many games but the new midfielder will replace Navarro with hopefully more attacking ability linking the back to front better and quicker. New striker replacing Vokes its an evolution not a revolution.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Almost without exception people put out their "suggested" formation for Albion for next season as 4-4-2; surely we're going to play 5-3-2 with two attacking wing backs?

#justsayin

I love the way you suggest a formation that we haven't played based on absolutely nothing then proceed not even to name you eleven in those positions. You couldn't make it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here