Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defence next season ...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Why the hell would we have been slowly developing a patient intelligent passing game just to give up suddenly and hump it up the pitch to the strikers as fast as we can? The next step in the progression is to develop/get in players who can play "walking pace" as you put it but then when the opportunity arises in a game inject sudden bursts of faster passing to break the opposition down. If we are a goal up or it is the first half, patience and keeping the ball is a higher priority.
Because by the time we get forward the other team have 11 players in front of us,it's imperative we get forward faster.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why the hell would we have been slowly developing a patient intelligent passing game just to give up suddenly and hump it up the pitch to the strikers as fast as we can? The next step in the progression is to develop/get in players who can play "walking pace" as you put it but then when the opportunity arises in a game inject sudden bursts of faster passing to break the opposition down. If we are a goal up or it is the first half, patience and keeping the ball is a higher priority.

To be honest, WW is right, it's just a question of how you get the ball to the strikers. The defenders passing the ball around amongst themselves is ineffective as it nearly always ends up back at the keeper who hoofs it up. I'm hoping the passing game is going to move further upfield and if Vicente is playing fit from the start of the season then I suggest that is what you will see.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I love the way you suggest a formation that we haven't played based on absolutely nothing then proceed not even to name you eleven in those positions. You couldn't make it up.

Wow, you're right, what a twat I am. "Suggesting" a formation "we could" play on a "football forum" ...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Barnes will not be dropped.

--------------------------Kusczhack--------------------------
-Bruno--------El abd-----------------Greer----------------Bridge
--------------------Briductt-------New signing------------------
-------Barnes-------------Vicente------------------Lua Lua
-------------------------New signing-----------------------------

Brez
Calderon
Dunk
Noone
Sparrow
Buckley
CMS

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wow, you're right, what a twat I am. "Suggesting" a formation "we could" play on a "football forum" ...

But to keep you happy:

Kuszczak

Bruno ... Greer ... Dunk ... El Abd ... Bridge

Bridcutt ... Vicente ... Lua Lua

CMS ... Rhodes (Barnes)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But to keep you happy:

Kuszczak

Bruno ... Greer ... Dunk ... El Abd ... Bridge

Bridcutt ... Vicente ... Lua Lua

CMS ... Rhodes (Barnes)

Wasn't hard was it! Don't agree with it but at least you have at last 'put meat to the bones' of your formation. Can't see Gus doing this though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
;-)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So far we've brought in defenders and Vicente. When Gus played Vicente he also played Barnes. Therefore, there's nothing right now to suggest Barnes - our top scorer from last season - won't start.

It's funny when people pick their 1st XI Barnes is hardly ever there but he is with Gus.

For me the formation is an unknown quantity until such time as we bring in a first-choice central midfielder. We clearly need a player in that position, but will they be primarily defensive a la De Jong / Barry, box to box as in Gerrard '06, or skilful as in Modric? This will dictate the formation.

I think we had 3 / 4 top wingers last season and rarely saw Gus start with 2. We've brought in two quality full-backs but both the wrong side of 30 without searing pace, and our wingers aren't great defenders either, so I can't see Gus having a major overhaul of his tactics.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We didn't hit the net enough times or create enough chances last season, this is why I think we need a top striker and play 5 at the back with attacking full backs ... We'll be the pride of the South!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here