Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Karma for all the cheating he's got away with in the past

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Last season I saw a player get a second yellow, then a red, for not leaving the pitch quickly enough when being subbed...that really was stupid!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
When flicking backwards and forwards from ITV1 to Sky Sports 1, Paul Merson stated that it was an absoloute disgrace of a decision.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
It's his team's free kick - surely he should be able to take it when he wants?! I have never understood this rule of not allowing a quick free-kick, especially one on the edge of the box.

YOU have just been fouled (and sometimes denied an opportunity to score) why should you let the OTHER TEAM have as much time as they want to organise themselves and regroup?

Pathetic.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Seemed pretty clear the ref pointed to his whistle to say wait, guess Deco didn't understand, and hence sent off.

WHY he should ask him to wait, I don't know.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I didn't see a replay, so i don't know if the ref made it clear to wait for the whistle, but it's the one rule i really struggle to understand. The attacking team should be the one to decide if the free-kick is quick or not, not the ref. It does piss me off when you see players being booked for that but others being allowed to stand on the ball or run away holding to delay the free-kick after there team's committed a foul

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Crap decision, but not NEARLY as bad as the one to award the bin-dippers their 'penalty'.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Having just seen the replay the ref clearly tells him to wait for the whistle. Its his own fault

Is the correct answer. As a referee, now with the "quick free kick" giving players the option of a "quick one" or if they want the wall back 10 yards ie: a "slow one"

They are told, if they say they want a "slow one" to wait for the whistle otherwise they will be cautioned. Pretty Simple why he was sent off, and pundits like Paul Merson don't help matters when they spout this type of drivel.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry Dorian, usually agree with you but think you are totally wrong here.

First off, we don't know exactly what was said, but if you watch closely as soon as Deco is sent off he keeps saying a sentence to the ref that begins with "you said". He says it a number of times. He CLEARLY believes he was allowed to take the free kick.

The whole quick/slow free kick thing is ridiculous and needs to be corrected, but surely the main issue here is why was Deco booked? Even if he WASN'T allowed a quick free kick (and tries to)....*and here's the important bit folks* what POSSIBLE advantage could Deco gain from it?

He takes it incorrectly, if the ref believes it is incorrect then how would Deco gain from it anyway, as it will only be called back. Absolute madness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I still think the over-riding issue here is Deco should not be booked because in no way is he gaining an unfair advantage. He literally cannot gain from the situation.

Not as mad as the Liverpool Madrid game though. Anfield clearly got to that ref.

f***ing pathetic. What a prick Deco is.

I was all ready to stop hating Chelsea once Mourinho went. I could never support them, but at least not cheer when they lose, even in Europe. I thawed towards the end of last season.

And then they signed Deco.

A cheating, whingeing prick. Remember when he got sent off for Portugal against the Netherlands? Then he also seemed to think "but you can't send me off, I'm great". f***ing prick.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Sorry Dorian, usually agree with you but think you are totally wrong here.

I wouldn't say TOTALLY wrong, but I appreciate your opinions and football is never black and white and people will always have different ways of looking at things.

I'm just looking at it from an official perspective, as when I am on the pitch on a Saturday afternoon, the caution always follows if this happens. I'm not going to PRETEND for a minute that I think it is the RIGHT thing to happen but that is what is expected of match officials. HOWEVER as a fan when I'm sitting in the stands/sitting at home, I do feel AGGRIEVED when this happens.

And at any rate, I'm GLAD it happened to CHELSEA when they got thumped at ROMA, but if it happened to BRIGHTON I would be :angry:

:thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair dues.

So perhaps we are all in agreement that the rule is slightly flimsy and needs clarification? There is often confusion when quick free kicks are scored.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
From what I saw the ref clearly shakes his finger as if to say don't take it yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here