Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deco sent off for taking a quick free kick

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From what I saw the ref clearly shakes his finger as if to say don't take it yet.

Even if he does, Deco can gain absolutely no advantage so there is nothing bookable there at all.

It's a case of a ref suppressing his "officiousness" to allow some "common sense" in.

I would bet my living savings that in the same situation there is NO WAY Collina would've sent off Deco last night.

Last edited:

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Even if he does, Deco can gain absolutely no advantage so there is nothing bookable there at all.

Apart from the ref having his back turned to move the wall back and the opposition players all being told the freekick will not be taken until he blows the whistle. Thats a pretty big advantage if you ask me.

That said a booking is a bit harsh. Just bring it back for the original freekick.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

It's a case of a ref suppressing his "officiousness" to allow some "common sense" in.

I would bet my living savings that in the same situation there is NO WAY Collina would've sent off Deco last night.

I see your point, but it comes down to respect for the ref, he told him not yet and Deco did anyway so he booked him, just so happens he was booked before.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
From what I saw the ref clearly shakes his finger as if to say don't take it yet.
This may be true. So the worst case scenario is that Chelsea then score and the ref pulls them back saying "I told you not to". Deco should still be allowed to take it, because he shouldn't have to risk misunderstanding what the ref has said and therefore bypassing a goalscoring opportunity just in case the ref might have said "not yet"

But this ref was a little hitler and wasn't having any sort of common sense applied to the situation. Shocking decision - equally as bad as Gerrard's "penalty".

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
This may be true. So the worst case scenario is that Chelsea then score and the ref pulls them back saying "I told you not to". Deco should still be allowed to take it, because he shouldn't have to risk misunderstanding what the ref has said and therefore bypassing a goalscoring opportunity just in case the ref might have said "not yet"

But this ref was a little hitler and wasn't having any sort of common sense applied to the situation. Shocking decision - equally as bad as Gerrard's "penalty".

Like I said in my post above yours. I agree with what you're saying, in many situtations the ref needs to apply common sense and I can see your point on it but if the ref tells you not to, the players must respect that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apart from the ref having his back turned to move the wall back and the opposition players all being told the freekick will not be taken until he blows the whistle. Thats a pretty big advantage if you ask me.

That said a booking is a bit harsh. Just bring it back for the original freekick.

No because the ref will just bring it back, because he's not allowed to do it.

Deco is doing nothing bookable because the ref will not allow a goal if it is scored. It is logic gone mental. That's like saying someone should get a yellow card for picking up the ball when play has stopped. In NO WAY do they benefit from it so it should not be bookable.

What is the ref accusing Deco of? Dissent? What is the actual reason for his dismissal? Do players get carded for foul throws? It's in that area of insanity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Correct correct correct correct.

You can't get sent off for a "misunderstanding" - it was ridiculous.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
What is the ref accusing Deco of? Dissent? What is the actual reason for his dismissal? Do players get carded for foul throws? It's in that area of insanity.

I haven't seen it but it sounds like he has been booked for for dis-obeying the ref's instructions. Harsh but to the letter of the law and all that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I haven't seen it but it sounds like he has been booked for for dis-obeying the ref's instructions. Harsh but to the letter of the law and all that.

If you watch it though Deco vehemently protests straight after, it is very clear he thought he was told he could take it. He keeps saying "you said, you said".

Plus that doesn't make sense, because Deco could never in a trillion years benefit from disobeying the ref's instructions, because regardless of the outcome the ref is only going to call it back anyway.

Madness. Check it out on Virgin Media. Along with the Liverpool game it was a terrible night for refereeing.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was all ready to stop hating Chelsea once Mourinho went. I could never support them, but at least not cheer when they lose, even in Europe. I thawed towards the end of last season.

And then they signed Deco.

A cheating, whingeing prick. Remember when he got sent off for Portugal against the Netherlands? Then he also seemed to think "but you can't send me off, I'm great". f***ing prick.
prick:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here