Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent toothpaste recommendations ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm a nice hygenic chap and brush regularly and use decent mouthwash but still i am troubled by having some stained teeth. No matter how hard I brush or whichever toothpaste I use, my love of a cup of tea undoes all my good work.
So, can anyone recommend a genuine tooth whitener ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why do want to look like an American ? Teeth are supposed to have a yellowish tint to them , whitening them eventually wears away all the enamel and they will simply rot away unless you replace them with dentures.

Some whiteners contain abrasives, some don't. The former are obviously more effective, but for the reasons SoG stated, I wouldn't recommend them for young people. However if, like me, you are 52 and male, you may only have 15 years to live and therefore your teeth will last much longer than you will even if "abrased"!
These non-abrasives didn't really work for me so I have just started using the gently abrasive Asda Protect Advanced Whitening. This is promising as it the first I have tried that actually tastes of that pink cleaning powder that dentists use.
If you want to know if it works or not, PM me in a few weeks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Some whiteners contain abrasives, some don't. The former are obviously more effective, but for the reasons SoG stated, I wouldn't recommend them for young people. However if, like me, you are 52 and male, you may only have 15 years to live and therefore your teeth will last much longer than you will even if "abrased"!
These non-abrasives didn't really work for me so I have just started using the gently abrasive Asda Protect Advanced Whitening. This is promising as it the first I have tried that actually tastes of that pink cleaning powder that dentists use.
If you want to know if it works or not, PM me in a few weeks.

Sorry to hear that male life expectancy in Mansfield is only 77 :ohmy:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I use Arm and Hammer, much nicer than any of that colgate or aquafresh shite.

Also get the hardest bristle toothbrush you can find and replace it once a month

Check with your dentist but that may be the worst thing you could do because you're likely to brush away your gums.

To the OP, my dentist told me tea and white teeth don't tend to go hand in hand. If you want white teeth, get them whitened and avoid tea, coffee, red wine. If you get a set of bleaching trays, you can continue with tea & coffee and the occasional 'top-up' of the whitening.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
My dentist has recommended I use bicarb of soda to remove tooth stains, as it's the one most efficient way of doing it - may not taste too nice, but it removes most of the stains pretty quickly.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why dont you just put them in that glass by the side of your bed like you used to gummy.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Also get the hardest bristle toothbrush you can find and replace it once a month

Sadly after some years of doing this I now have worn away the gum and the enamel on the lower left teeth (I am right handed so gets the brunt of my brushing) so didn't work for me that one.

I now (after £900 of dental work) use an electric toothbrish, with Sensodyne whitening...if you want really clean tasting teeth use Listerine - great stuff!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sadly after some years of doing this I now have worn away the gum and the enamel on the lower left teeth (I am right handed so gets the brunt of my brushing) so didn't work for me that one.

I now (after £900 of dental work) use an electric toothbrish, with Sensodyne whitening...if you want really clean tasting teeth use Listerine - great stuff!

Interesting replys to my seemingly rubbish advice. In the last 6 months or so I have noticed the top of my teeth becoming quite sensitive, I wonder if that's the nerves becoming exposed.

I've only been to the dentist once in the last 8 years and that was for fillings. I really need to pull my finger out and get a check up I think.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Why do want to look like an American ? Teeth are supposed to have a yellowish tint to them , whitening them eventually wears away all the enamel and they will simply rot away unless you replace them with dentures.

total bollocks

completely untrue

there is no 'suppose ' to shade for teeth. every one is different but generally the older you get the darker the teeth may look due to a process called sclerosis. the only way to make them whiter is to get them professionally whitened.

the tooth pastes say the will get them 'naturally' white which is add talk for slightly abrasive and so will remove stain and get them to the natural colour. (so it does not whiten them at all- back to the professionals)

whitening them (professionally at a dentist) will do no harm to the enamel structure, it lightens them using a chemical called cabomide peroxide.

if you go to a beautician or buy of the net then god knows what is in it, maybe cheaper but could be doing harm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here