Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Death crash goalie sacked by Plymouth

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
This is what he did....

Sheesh..
Those pics are dreadful -two little kids died in those remains..thats made me feel quite emotional :(

Did the RR hit it head on and push it down and embankment into trees ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Did the RR hit it head on and push it down and embankment into trees ?

it was on a motorway so doubt it, (judging by damagea a h/on would be alto more damaging to the rr) looks to be a rear shunt which ended up with the toytoa down the bankment

(my view im not an expert tho)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Plenty of people get charged wrongly every day. I would never assume just because someone has been charged means they are any more likely to be guilty...

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
yes what he did was wrong and irresponsible but saying 'good' is very harsh. its a shame that whats happened has happened for all involved. a silly mistake made by himself(or a fair few) and its cost lives. shame. dont tell me none of you have never driven when you shouldnt have? tired, after a pint or 2, not concentrating. shame for this to happen to people so young

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Well I've never made a "mistake" leading to the death of two innocent children if that's what you mean. Lock him up and throw away the key:censored:
so do you really think he got up that morning with the intention of killing those to boys? he will have to live with that for the rest of his life and has his own life sentence no matter how many years he gets given.
i just think throwing the key away is a bit excesive,he isn't a murderer,whatever has happened and as i say iv heard so many rumours about that something has gone dramatically wrong and these two boys have been killed but thats not the same as going out and murdering someone
i just hope you never become a judge

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Plenty of people get charged wrongly every day. I would never assume just because someone has been charged means they are any more likely to be guilty...

I've not said he is guilty though, have I? I do stand by the fact that he is more LIKELY to be guilty though. Knowing first hand how much of a nightmare CPS is to get past im pretty sure they haven't just charged him because he was the only one who wasn't injured. Still not sure what thats got to do with jury service though.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I've long advocated life imprisonment for anyone convicted of drink driving, regardless of whether they cause an accident. The British legal system is FAR too soft on drivers. Had someone drunkenly killed people by shooting them with a shotgun there would be no question of a long sentence, yet do it with a car and you might get away with a year in nick. Motor vehicles are the most dangerous weapons in this country (killing far more than guns or knives) and they should be recognised as that - weapons. Personally, I would licence them the same way guns or nuclear waste is licenced - you'd have to prove you needed one before you were allowed to own it. 80-90% of cars in urban areas are totally unnecessary.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
so do you really think he got up that morning with the intention of killing those to boys? he will have to live with that for the rest of his life and has his own life sentence no matter how many years he gets given.
i just think throwing the key away is a bit excesive,he isn't a murderer,whatever has happened and as i say iv heard so many rumours about that something has gone dramatically wrong and these two boys have been killed but thats not the same as going out and murdering someone
i just hope you never become a judge

No he didn't, but whether he deliberately or accidentally killed these two boys is irrelevant to the parents, extend family and friends. IF he is guilty and the fact that he agreed to terminate his contract and that his car was only damaged in the front, is very telling. He has has taken two lives and most probably destroyed an extended family; the ' He has is own life sentence' is quite frankly bollocks and insulting. I have two children and if I lost them my life would be finished, everything myself and my wife do is for our children, take that away and it would be pretty much meaningless.

He didn't murder them but it matters not a jot to the family of the two boys.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From experience, I would imagine that he will plead guilty to the drink driving charge. Very few people charged with drink driving plead not guilty, because of the evidence that is already in front of them. There is a failed (or refused) roadside breath test, a witness statement whereby they have been seen driving, and an evidential breath reading that shows you are over the limit.

That's all the evidence needed to charge, hence most DICs plead guilty.

The fact that it's been sent for trial (I think??) suggests, however, that he's intending to plead not guilty to the charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

The court is obliged to treat them as entirely separate offences: ie you can't be guilty of dangerous driving purely by the fact that you are over the alcohol limit, strange though that may sound.

The prosecution must instead prove that the standard of his driving (or alternatively the condition of his vehicle, unlikely in this case) fell far below that which would be expected of a careful & competent driver. He must be shown to have done something, such as a dangerous overtake, driving too close, falling asleep at the wheel etc- that itself constituted a dangerous act.

Hence I wouldn't be surprised at a NG plea from him, as there's every chance he could put together a coherent argument that he didn't do anything dangerous per se (and like I said, you have to ignore the evident intoxication when considering that).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've long advocated life imprisonment for anyone convicted of drink driving, regardless of whether they cause an accident. The British legal system is FAR too soft on drivers. Had someone drunkenly killed people by shooting them with a shotgun there would be no question of a long sentence, yet do it with a car and you might get away with a year in nick. Motor vehicles are the most dangerous weapons in this country (killing far more than guns or knives) and they should be recognised as that - weapons. Personally, I would licence them the same way guns or nuclear waste is licenced - you'd have to prove you needed one before you were allowed to own it. 80-90% of cars in urban areas are totally unnecessary.

That has to be the most stupid idea I have ever. Are you suggesting that people who drink drive should get longer than rapists?

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield

I certainly don't condone drink driving, however life in prison does seem a tad harsh.........

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Every case must be tried on its merits, and I am against the notion of mandatory heavy sentences like life because every case is different.

What about drivers who take the road without having had sufficient sleep? If they fall asleep at the wheel then kill someone but have no alcohol in their body should they get less of a sentence than someone teetering on the limit who happened to be wide awake?

This is not, and can never be, a black and white issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here