Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Fantasists

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The only reason Southampton have come in for some stick is that Leeds got promoted last season and Saints took up the mantle of being the massive club in L1 with Wednesday in 2nd place.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can't understand the bad blood.

I must confess that the 1978 entente cordiale with Spurs last match of the season is the reason for me to resent the club. And before you ask, I was there (the Goldstone) on the day, and saw your match on MoTD.

Perhaps being miffed with Adkins

He said something I suspect was meant in quasi jest as much as anything else. It did not pay off, if he has any nous he will wave to us next Saturday, give it a bit of mea culpa, and the whole affair will be laughed off.

Gus is no stranger to wacky comments himself, but to be fair to him, his record to date has given him plenty of wiggle room, as he has been constantly proved right and we (including myself) proved wrong.

Well done on winning the league; like I said, you've been far the best team and deserve all the plaudits you get.

Thank you, it has been an exceptional season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There were other issues between Hammond and the club. He was (allegedly) offered and rejected the best ever contract given by the Albion, and then there was a war of words in the press between him, his acolytes here on NSC, and our former chairman. People took sides depending on whether they were pro or anti the chairman. No one knows the truth, but the truth is a regular fallguy here compared to righteous indignation and the opinion confused for facts.
There wasn't a problem with Hammond two years ago when he played for Colchester, quite the reverse, both sets of fans applauded him when his name was announced. We beat Colchester that day as part of our 'great escape' with Slade.
Last season at Withdean Hammond got the equalising goal, celebrated and also ran over to the south stand and told the fans to f*** off. That's when the fans turned against him.

There was also the business of trying to poach Calderon.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There wasn't a problem with Hammond two years ago when he played for Colchester, quite the reverse, both sets of fans applauded him when his name was announced. We beat Colchester that day as part of our 'great escape' with Slade.

Fair comment, he didn't score for Colchester against us, which helped.

Last season at Withdean Hammond got the equalising goal, celebrated and also ran over to the south stand and told the fans to f*** off. That's when the fans turned against him.

Then he deserves both barrels..................and got them.

There was also the business of trying to poach Calderon.

Calderon only had a four month contract with us, I suspect that Southampton were not the only team he spoke to, we have managed to forgive Calde haven't we, why not extend that to SCC, after all it was their failure to honour their initial contract terms that resulted in him returned to us.

Compared to the childish bollocks some of our lot post on the Southampton Echo site, I thought that SS's comments were fair and reasonable.

Anyone who is not an Albion fan who says/writes/posts anything less than glowing in gushing spunk about the club is accused of disrespect/being an inbred/ clueless etc. This is extended to the likes of Tony Bloom and Gus, who have had snide anti-semetic comments and accusations of incompetence levelled at them respectively. Some of the posts on Ask the Club beggar belief, you really have no idea just how lucky we are at this club.

Yet yesterday our 'fans' were abusing Matty Richards at Walsall for the crime of having played for the Albion whilst on loan, doing quite a decent job whilst here, and then moving on to further his career and earnings.

When we played at Southampton all their fans I spoke to at the match were pleasant, knowledgeable and fair in their assessment of both clubs' prospects.

Some people need to grow up or develop a thicker skin, because like most of us who have supported the Albion know from weary experience, what goes up does come down.

Looks like I'm in a small minority but I haver to say I agree with El Pres, I think Sausage makes some valid points.

To quote Rudyard Kipling, a man with a strong Sussex connection:-

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!"

Over the years we've had more than our fair share of Disasters, which I reckon we have coped with extremely well.

I think some of us aren't coping with this Triumph quite as well.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
We don't care about Southampton. You have been mistaken in thinking that we consider you as rivals, we CONSIDERED you as promotion rivals. A mixture between a silly comment by your phsi... sorry manager and the fact that we have been promoted and crowned champions in the space of 4 days has resulted in various threads about you. Some would argue too many but to be honest half the threads on here are jests or pure fishing material.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I dont really know why the Saints fans are getting worked up,If you look its a handful of fans out of 1000's of members on this forum.For what its worth i hope they go up after we beat them next Saturday of coarse.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Looks like I'm in a small minority but I haver to say I agree with El Pres, I think Sausage makes some valid points.

To quote Rudyard Kipling, a man with a strong Sussex connection:-

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!"

Over the years we've had more than our fair share of Disasters, which I reckon we have coped with extremely well.

I think some of us aren't coping with this Triumph quite as well.

Erm, we take the league by storm and then move into a new all sing and dancing stadium that many will envy ? I think that's worth shouting about personally (even if I don't myself).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Erm, we take the league by storm and then move into a new all sing and dancing stadium that many will envy ? I think that's worth shouting about personally (even if I don't myself).

I don't think anyone will disagree with that, but not sure what point you are trying to make in relation to the contents of this thread.

Absolutely nothing wrong in shouting about our achievements, I've done plenty of that out here! We've had enough crap in the past and nobody - or at least very few - would begrudge us our triumph now, especially as we have clearly earned it.

It's how we deal with it that is important. I think some of the comments directed at Southampton by (probably) a minority of our supporters are unnecessary. We don't need to belittle or slag off others in order to enjoy our success. As someone said on another thread, we are Brighton, we are better than that. I hope he was right.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Blimey sausage, what would you do if you were real rivals to us like those caravan dwellers up the road. Think you need to 'man up' a bit tbh, twatkins and pardew before him have given us enough reason to gloat at you for running away with the TITLE that was allegedly reserved for the 'massive' stains, chuck in a fair few wum stains who have been on here throughout the season as well as Hammond, Harding and 1978 and you have more than enough reasons IMHO. I do get the impression that stains can give banter but not take it tbf, as regards our game at your place we were severely under strength and with all the millions spent you still couldn't beat us so in reply to your chants of "top of the league you're having a laugh" yes we are, at cortese, your Southampton style :laugh:, twatkins, Hammond (for leaving to "advance" his career :lolol::lolol:), Harding but most of all BECAUSE WE CAN :wave:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Absolutely nothing wrong in shouting about our achievements, I've done plenty of that out here! We've had enough crap in the past and nobody - or at least very few - would begrudge us our triumph now, especially as we have clearly earned it.

It's how we deal with it that is important. I think some of the comments directed at Southampton by (probably) a minority of our supporters are unnecessary. We don't need to belittle or slag off others in order to enjoy our success. As someone said on another thread, we are Brighton, we are better than that. I hope he was right.

I have to admit that seeing people from other clubs coming on here to congratulate us and getting abused for it is quite unforgivable. I do think that Mr Sausage doth protest too much though.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
red_rum.jpg

Ah yes, the 'Red Rum Motivational Speech'...

Going is good for Saints' "Grand National"

8:00am Monday 21st March 2011

By Gordon Simpson, Southampton Daily Echo.

"NIGEL Adkins has likened the League One campaign to the Grand National – and he insists that Saints are playing the role of the legendary Red Rum.

The St Mary’s boss has turned to horse racing for his latest analogy of the season, after previously using long-distance Olympic running.

And he believes Saints are coming up on the rails at just the right time, as the run-in begins.

“Famously, Red Rum did it in 1973,” said Adkins, referring to his team’s efforts to overhaul a large deficit and claim a stunning title win.

“You can liken a league campaign of 46 games to the Grand National.

“Crisp led for a long period of time and Red Rum came with a great run at the very end and pipped him to the post"

Well that went well, didn't it ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps two of us could go as a pantomime horse to Withers next Saturday, and have a canter behind the away dugout?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You're of course completely right in that only a minority of your fans behaved arrogantly at the start (and throughout) the season, and it is usually this minority which makes themselves heard the most. Which, of course, applies in exactly the same way to what you accuse our fanbase of doing.

I'll be completely honest, I would find more satisfaction in beating Southampton than most teams in this league, and I expect most Brighton fans would - but surely thats understandable? Firstly, you have been our main contenders for promotion most of the year. You are relatively close and a south coast club, so a small bit of rivalry appears. You have Harding, Wilkins and Hammond who have strong Brighton connections, and as much as the majority have nothing against you as a club, the way Hammond celebrated against us without any provocation whatsoever means that a large amount of us would love to see him fail, and the same with regards to Adkins and his comments. But apart from those two, most of us have nothing substantial against your club.

I can assure you that if, as looks likely, you follow us up to the Championship then we will both have far more important and heated rivalries to see to and this miniature one will be more or less forgotten.

Without doubt the most sensible post on this totally unnecessary thread.

League one rivals 2010/11 = Saints. Real rivals 1901 till forever = Palarse. Get over it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

way too much time on your hands... zzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
“You can liken a league campaign of 46 games to the Grand National.

Quite. And the 16/1 shot Poyet's Champions is currently munching his way through a nosebag full of oats in the Winner's Circle, while If They Can Keep With Us (9/4F), Dreading T'play Offs Again (6/1), and Daddy's Favourite (8/1) are just arriving at fence thirteen.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Quite. And the 16/1 shot Poyet's Champions is currently munching his way through a nosebag full of oats in the Winner's Circle, while If They Can Keep With Us (9/4F), Dreading T'play Offs Again (6/1), and Daddy's Favourite (8/1) are just arriving at fence thirteen.

LOL - love it - and so true. I'm sure SCC were 3/1 and we were 16/1 so that does deserve the odd thread on our message board, having completely outclassed them to the title.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Compared to the childish bollocks some of our lot post on the Southampton Echo site, I thought that SS's comments were fair and reasonable.

Anyone who is not an Albion fan who says/writes/posts anything less than glowing in gushing spunk about the club is accused of disrespect/being an inbred/ clueless etc. This is extended to the likes of Tony Bloom and Gus, who have had snide anti-semetic comments and accusations of incompetence levelled at them respectively. Some of the posts on Ask the Club beggar belief, you really have no idea just how lucky we are at this club.

Yet yesterday our 'fans' were abusing Matty Richards at Walsall for the crime of having played for the Albion whilst on loan, doing quite a decent job whilst here, and then moving on to further his career and earnings.

When we played at Southampton all their fans I spoke to at the match were pleasant, knowledgeable and fair in their assessment of both clubs' prospects.

Some people need to grow up or develop a thicker skin, because like most of us who have supported the Albion know from weary experience, what goes up does come down.

El Pres speaks the truth here. Social Sausage (gay joke?) is making a reasonable post that he feels we are attempting to antagonise Southampton

I think you're getting wound up a little as well though, many fans want Southampton to be promoted, others not, not many league one teams are too fond of Brighton to be honest, probably because they think we're getting over our heads here. And the truth is we are a little. But that's because we're guaranteed Champions now, Nigel Adkins just wanted to give Southampton fans faith, because they went through a rough time with their club being knocked down, but Brighton were never given a second glance after Bill archer had sold away the Goldstone to bloody Toys R us and comet. We had to play at two of the worst football grounds in the country, the first at Gillingham and the fourth worst, Withdean for 10 years. Brighton fans have returned with a bitter taste of the 'greats' in football.

I don't think Gus Poyet has ever said anything about trying to beat Southampton or getting better, he just said his target was to get us up to the championship because that is what Tony Bloom wanted, Southampton were favourites, Brighton was the dark horse. Gus performed and he did the done deal, and Brighton are blessed to have been given what could potentially be a next generation manager who could possibly manage a leading premier side, as opposed to bringing up a manager who knows the lower leagues well. Brighton struck it lucky, and we acknowledge that. I just hope we can do well, just as any other team next to us. Brighton is my only football team at the moment. (Tell the FA to stick the England squad up its arse, because its already pretty much in the toilet at the moment)

I don't really know who will be in second place, but I don't in particular have any favourites, Huddersfield? not bloody likely.

I guess Peterborough? They seem to be in it for a good time. Or Southampton, it would be nice to see that southern scrapheap between Eagles, Seagulls, Pompey and Saints?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here