Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins - Saints assistant manager!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think assistant manager will be right up his street as he can be big mates with the players without worrying about the consequences, the good cop syndrome

I agree entirely with Ernest. Although I think it may be big mates with some players and entirely ambivalent towards others.

The post by Race a few pages back says it all.

I hope on a personal level he is successful (although maybe not at st marys).

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I expected something a little more robust from you maybe even a little more abusive, so fair play to you.

I promise you, you do not go to the banks at that time, with a business plan offering a personal guarantee if those bank didn't fancy it.

The banks would never buy it and it transpire that was the case.

Wilkins management should of never hinged on what players thought whilst achieving some success.

Dick Knight was the driving force behind the dismissal and the smears on Wilkins and others were shameful.

You were wrong as many were, but why no acknowledgement by you and others ?

Havn't convertible loan notes been in place for 3 years or so now? Seems to me the Bloom backup wasn't a hastily pulled together plan but a more long term process.

Also, and here's a scenario that hasn't been covered, is it someohow possible that banks did offer funding but not on terms that were as financially advantageous as the Bloom plan? (higher rates, shorter period, less favourable securitisation, wanted more time to arrange etc etc etc etc).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Havn't convertible loan notes been in place for 3 years or so now? Seems to me the Bloom backup wasn't a hastily pulled together plan but a more long term process.

Also, and here's a scenario that hasn't been covered, is it someohow possible that banks did offer funding but not on terms that were as financially advantageous as the Bloom plan? (higher rates, shorter period, less favourable securitisation, wanted more time to arrange etc etc etc etc).

Unless I misread things I thought that TB's loan was interest free.

My view also. The first convertible loan note, for £20M I think, was issued in spring 2008 so there was clearly a plan in place then to convert the existing directors' loans into shares. DK also confirmed it was for this purpose when I asked the question at last season's Fan's Forum.

Just a thought - with NO evidence to support it ...

Whilst TB has underwriiten the cost of building the stadium, is it possible that he has got an arrangement with a bank (or banks) to support his investment in the Club with a loan (or loans) secured on his existing property interests?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Bof without getting into the Deano debate rslicker is right Dean deserved his shot and yes Knight gave it to him but then lost his marbles by bringing back MA.

As for Bloom being a real saviour he has been hasn't he?

Who else was going to pay for Falmer?

???

Indeed TB he has:bowdown:, however as only MP was against DW sacking and the fact that DK hasn't really been the power behind the club for the last few seasons you do have to wonder who loaded the gun .....
For what it's worth, I was told by more than one person that it was the Bloom's that got DW installed as manager and that it was the Blooms that were behind DW getting the boot ....

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Good luck to Dean. I am sure the ill feeling with the club has passed and we are all now moving on (I imagine we have stopped paying our ex manager his monthly salary by now).

Southampton need him, the fans up at Lords the other week say they have an incredibly young team and due to the finances need to develop this if they are ever to progess up the leagues. Who better than Deano who got us so close in a similar situation. He will have better facilities at his disposal and will have learnt tonnes with us. Whatever you think of Pardew he has good contacts at clubs like Reading, West Ham, Charlton and Palarse so should be able to blend some experienced players in on loan.

I know Southampton have had it bad but as long as they manage the money side, Pardew and Wilkins have a good chance of developing a side, as long as the club don't sell every talented player they unearth.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good Luck, Dean.

What I find weird, is when a team is losing and a manager's job is on the line the old cliche "this is a results business" is trotted out. Dean was challenging for the play offs prior to christmas, then his squad got ripped apart. He had a month or so rebuilding, then got close again. Improving on his first year in charge.

Judging him on results I'd say being the last team ruled out of the play offs, finishing with only 6 teams above you, in your first full year in charge he was at the very least decent with great great potential.

Why is it a "results business" when the team is losing, but when the team's winning it's about man management, relationships with the board or players, style of football etc.?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why is it a "results business" when the team is losing, but when the team's winning it's about man management, relationships with the board or players, style of football etc.?

Because sometimes the board don't get on with the manager, and they call the shots and rewrite the 'rules'. Look at Chelsea with Mourinho, Abramaovic didn't like Jose being more popular than he (Roman) was with the fans, so sacked him, despite the trophies delivered.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because sometimes the board don't get on with the manager, and they call the shots and rewrite the 'rules'. Look at Chelsea with Mourinho, Abramaovic didn't like Jose being more popular than he (Roman) was with the fans, so sacked him, despite the trophies delivered.

But that's the board. I don't have a problem if the board comes out and says "he's getting the job done on the field, good manager and all, I just don't like him". Or even if they give no excuse, (aka "mutual consent")

What I meant in my last post was that if a manager loses, the fans (or club puppet 'journalists') judge him on results. If he wins, he is judged on other levels.

It's as if people want to hate the manager, if he loses, great that's why we hate him.

If he wins, let's hate him for other reasons... no good with the media, a player (who isn't good enough to make the first team) is disgruntled complaining about his man-management skills, "a friend of a friend said he heard from someone that a guy who works at the club shop said he's not easy to talk to", "I saw somewhere the other day he sided with a player instead of the board" (as in twisting manager gets the players on his side and lets the board be 'the bad guy' into a rebelious streak)*

*Those aren't meant as anything related to a specific manager, just an example of the way fans look for reasons to hate managers who are winning.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But that's the board. I don't have a problem if the board comes out and says "he's getting the job done on the field, good manager and all, I just don't like him". Or even if they give no excuse, (aka "mutual consent")

What I meant in my last post was that if a manager loses, the fans (or club puppet 'journalists') judge him on results. If he wins, he is judged on other levels.

It's as if people want to hate the manager, if he loses, great that's why we hate him.

If he wins, let's hate him for other reasons... no good with the media, a player (who isn't good enough to make the first team) is disgruntled complaining about his man-management skills, "a friend of a friend said he heard from someone that a guy who works at the club shop said he's not easy to talk to", "I saw somewhere the other day he sided with a player instead of the board" (as in twisting manager gets the players on his side and lets the board be 'the bad guy' into a rebelious streak)*

*Those aren't meant as anything related to a specific manager, just an example of the way fans look for reasons to hate managers who are winning.

You are of course right.

With Wilkins the club couldn't trot out 'its a results business' this is why I am afraid the club did start a whispering campaign against him.

Players coming forward, with some prompting from within the club to somehow discredit Wilkins, even whispers at contract dealings that Wilkins was involved in, that was the real shame.

Many on here recognised the risk of the dismissal whilst many more were so easily brought with the Micky Adams appointment including the current board with whom Knight had to persuade.

Knight came unstuck and was ousted, but Wilkins was concerned that his footballing career might have been irrepairably damaged not just due to his unlikely dismissal but by further false smears.

Fortunately someone saw throught the Bullshit and he has landed an arguably a bigger job that could be offered by us.

I'm guessing he was more talking about below...

You are of course right.

With Wilkins the club couldn't trot out 'its a results business' this is why I am afraid the club did start a whispering campaign against him.

Players coming forward, with some prompting from within the club to somehow discredit Wilkins, even whispers at contract dealings that Wilkins was involved in, that was the real shame.

Many on here recognised the risk of the dismissal whilst many more were so easily brought with the Micky Adams appointment including the current board with whom Knight had to persuade.

Knight came unstuck and was ousted, but Wilkins was concerned that his footballing career might have been irrepairably damaged not just due to his unlikely dismissal but by further false smears.

Fortunately someone saw throught the Bullshit and he has landed an arguably a bigger job that could be offered by us.

You really are fantastically selective with your memory, as always. I thought we'd established that only Martin Perry on the board voted against the sacking of Wilkins?

edit: oh, and for the record (and because this is my first post on the thread), I'd like to wish DW all the best at Southampton. Except when we play them!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Wendy got stiffed, this has happened to a few managers due to internal politics, Catlin and Melia to name but 2.

Also it happens at other clubs, Coppel at man city for example. Its a reflection on the board not the manager especially when theres a history of it.

Sadly the Albion is one of those clubs.

Good luck Wendy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm guessing he was more talking about below...

You really are fantastically selective with your memory, as always. I thought we'd established that only Martin Perry on the board voted against the sacking of Wilkins?

edit: oh, and for the record (and because this is my first post on the thread), I'd like to wish DW all the best at Southampton. Except when we play them!

Well no,

You might have established that Perry was the only board member voting against the decision, I have not.

You probably accepted that the original decision was unanimous as what was offered by the club, I never did and posted it on here, but hey who cares now.

I have been consistent throughout.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You are of course right.

What do you mean by 'the club' though? Are you saying it was the whole board who had this whispering campaign, or just DK, or the Blooms, or who precisely? You are very vague in your accusations.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which players came forward and discredited Wilkins ? What did they say ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Which players came forward and discredited Wilkins ? What did they say ?

Publicly, I can think of two, one of whom hardly pulled up any trees - Paul Reid and the McFaul (Shane?) chap. If I recall right, both criticised Wilkins in the way the Fraser criticised Dick Knight.

I've heard directly three more, one of whom is still playing for the Albion. I have also heard of two more still - both still at the club, and who arrived during Wilkins' reign - who weren't impressed with his methods.

However, to what extent they represent the rest of the playing staff is, of course, another matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here