Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins - Saints assistant manager!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Anyone would think that we were talking about Sir Alex Ferguson here. I used to dread going to Withdean to watch The Albion under Wilkins. The football was complete & utter crap. We were so negative. Rememember defending corners? Not one Albion player was allowed to stand on the half way line in the hope that we could catch the opposition on the break. Wilkins is obviously a reasonable coach, but try to keep things in perspective. I for one am grateful that he's no longer associated with our great club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bloom was always underwriting part of the stadium (he said so himself). He just ended up underwriting more than he was anticpating, Bloom was always on board and as such funding was always in place. There was never any danger that we weren't going to have funding.

Well done to Dean, wasn't a good enough manager but will be a top top quality assistant up there.

Well I think thats probably right in respect to Bloom.

But that was never the line by most on here, they weren'y many saying TB will pay and guarantee for most of the funding.

They weren'y celebrating Tony Bloom in November 2008, they were wrongly celebrating the irrelevance of the Buckingham Contract and again and again telling us doubters that this represented that the banks had guaranteed the funds, they clearly hadn't.

I am bound to ask why getting to 7th disqualifies Wilkins from being a good enough manager.

This one I admit is a tough one to prove, but as an aside did you support the re-appointment of Adams.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am bound to ask why getting to 7th disqualifies Wilkins from being a good enough manager.

Good enough for what? I have no idea about his skills as a manager, the previous season we finished 18th under him, that doesn't necessarily make him a crap manager either, despite it being our lowest finishing position in the league for many years. I am aware he was unpopular with a number of players, and was seen as evasive and difficult to deal with by the board, but that does not make him a good or bad manager.

As for the funding, as far as I am aware the having appropriate funding was a precondition to the stadium being approved. I suspect that TB gave personal guarantees if the bank consortium pulled out, which they did. Therefore there was it appears a back up plan B which worked. It is called contingency planning, and is common in most businesses.

As for bhadeb, her incessant whining, outright lying about her relationship with her husband and vindictiveness pissed people off. Hence the hostility towards her.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Good enough for what? I have no idea about his skills as a manager, the previous season we finished 18th under him, that doesn't necessarily make him a crap manager either, despite it being our lowest finishing position in the league for many years. I am aware he was unpopular with a number of players, and was seen as evasive and difficult to deal with by the board, but that does not make him a good or bad manager.

As for the funding, as far as I am aware the having appropriate funding was a precondition to the stadium being approved. I suspect that TB gave personal guarantees if the bank consortium pulled out, which they did. Therefore there was it appears a back up plan B which worked. It is called contingency planning, and is common in most businesses.

As for bhadeb, her incessant whining, outright lying about her relationship with her husband and vindictiveness pissed people off. Hence the hostility towards her.

I expected something a little more robust from you maybe even a little more abusive, so fair play to you.

I promise you, you do not go to the banks at that time, with a business plan offering a personal guarantee if those bank didn't fancy it.

The banks would never buy it and it transpire that was the case.

Wilkins management should of never hinged on what players thought whilst achieving some success.

Dick Knight was the driving force behind the dismissal and the smears on Wilkins and others were shameful.

You were wrong as many were, but why no acknowledgement by you and others ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I thought what was needed for planning permission was an acceptable business plan, rather than actually having the money for sure? I'm sure the business plan was ok before the banks collapsed.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure Wilkins will be a good assistant manager tbh.

Think that a good assistant manager has to be able to bridge that link between the players and the manager. Bearing in mind Wilkins many issues with players whilst here i'm not sure man management is really his strong point.

As a coach and youth team coach his ability is evident. I'm yet to be convienced about his abilities above that

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Think that a good assistant manager has to be able to bridge that link between the players and the manager. Bearing in mind Wilkins many issues with players whilst here i'm not sure man management is really his strong point.

As a coach and youth team coach his ability is evident. I'm yet to be convienced about his abilities above that

I think assistant manager will be right up his street as he can be big mates with the players without worrying about the consequences, the good cop syndrome

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Assistant manager doesn't necessarily mean "be mates with the players". Not everyone is Bob Booker.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Ok Ok....... who knows..

But obviously you havent a clue, but maybe we can work out your own credability ...like the following :

Did you support Adams appointment ?

and what do you reckon about Russell Slade ??

I bet you are clueless !!!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Ok Ok....... who knows..

But obviously you havent a clue, but maybe we can work out your own credability ...like the following :

Did you support Adams appointment ?

and what do you reckon about Russell Slade ??

I bet you are clueless !!!

No, i agreed with getting rid of DW but Adams was a backward step... i supported him as manager but didnt think he was the best appointment at the time.

Slade, cant judge anyone on 13 games in my opinion.. but certainly has pedigree at this level and can get the best out of players

On what do u base the fact i'm clueless, because i dont agree with you ?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Anyone would think that we were talking about Sir Alex Ferguson here. I used to dread going to Withdean to watch The Albion under Wilkins. The football was complete & utter crap. We were so negative. Rememember defending corners? Not one Albion player was allowed to stand on the half way line in the hope that we could catch the opposition on the break. Wilkins is obviously a reasonable coach, but try to keep things in perspective. I for one am grateful that he's no longer associated with our great club.

Agree 100%. There was the aimless running into the corner thing with 15/20 minutes to go aswell. I ended up nearly booing after a victory once it was so dire.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I expected something a little more robust from you maybe even a little more abusive, so fair play to you.

Why should I be abusive?
I promise you, you do not go to the banks at that time, with a business plan offering a personal guarantee if those bank didn't fancy it.

The banks would never buy it and it transpire that was the case.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'it'

Wilkins management should of never hinged on what players thought whilst achieving some success.

What do you mean by his 'management'?

Dick Knight was the driving force behind the dismissal and the smears on Wilkins and others were shameful.

Dick Knight was also the driving force behind giving him a three year contract twelve months previously. As for the 'smears' could you please clarify

(1) What the smears were
(2) How you know that Dick Knight was behind them
(3) Who were the 'others' who were equally smeared

You were wrong as many were, but why no acknowledgement by you and others ?

I certainly acknowledge that I had no idea of the extent of Tony Bloom's wealth, and congratulate both Martin Perry and the rest of the board in keeping this quiet during negotiations with the contractors for the stadium. If the contractors had known that TB is worth (say) £200m, then they may have tried to charge more for Falmer. As it was, the club correctly said that the funding was in place (which was a prerequisite to satisfying B&H Council), but kept silent as to the source of the finance. A brilliant balancing act, and a sign that being a good poker player and not showing your hand too early is an excellent negotiation strategy.

Having done the sums on numerous occasions, coupled with the bank lending crisis,I could not work out how bank finance was sustainable on gates of 12,000, but it appears that DK, MP, TB et al had us all outfoxed, and my hat is firmly tipped in their direction.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
. If the contractors had known that TB is worth (say) £200m, then they may have tried to charge more for Falmer.

Eh...? You are joking of course...?

Surely the construction of the stadium was put out to tender........? I would have thought that each company trying to get the contract would have submitted the best possible price, irrespective of how much or little money could be raised by the club.

Do you really teach business economics or some such subject...?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Eh...? You are joking of course...?

Surely the construction of the stadium was put out to tender........? I would have thought that each company trying to get the contract would have submitted the best possible price, irrespective of how much or little money could be raised by the club.

Do you really teach business economics or some such subject...?

I certainly do, and one of the first things you should always ask yourself is "How much do you think they can afford"

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I certainly do, and one of the first things you should always ask yourself is "How much do you think they can afford"

No, from experience the first question you ask is "how much are we going to bid to be able to win it", this is especially the case in a competitive market like construction.

I would have thought the size of Blooms cash mountain had nothing to do with it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I,m sure if Manchester City were wanting to buy one of our players, that would be a very sensible question.

However, it may have passed you by in the teaching proffession, but there has been a recession going on for a while now........with the construction industry particularly,badly affected. I still believe that even if they knew Mr.Bloom was worth so much, it would have no impact on their tender. No point in them saying "£200 million Mr. Bloom"........and "Bodgit & Fixit" going in with a sensible £93 million tender.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I,m sure if Manchester City were wanting to buy one of our players, that would be a very sensible question.

However, it may have passed you by in the teaching proffession, but there has been a recession going on for a while now........with the construction industry particularly,badly affected. I still believe that even if they knew Mr.Bloom was worth so much, it would have no impact on their tender. No point in them saying "£200 million Mr. Bloom"........and "Bodgit & Fixit" going in with a sensible £93 million tender.

True, but I still think that it did little harm in keeping secret the extent of TB's wealth, and

(1)The tender prices depend how much the construction companies are in collusion with each other

(2) Recession, what recession?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here