Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins and Subs

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I can only judge on what I see and at the moment I would put them way down on the list of IMO the best managers of BHA. My view is that the best are, but niot in any order, Billy Lane, Pat Saward, Freddie Goodwin, Brian Horton Mickey Adams Peter Taylor 1st, Allan Mullery, Chris Catlin I wouldnt place Wilkins & Co above any of those.

Maybe because your assessment of those managers are based on their full tenure.

You could pick a 12 month period of any of those managers and make them look unsuccessful.

I think Wilkins is a really bright manager that is working at an extremely difficult time, maybe a period that is unique.

Actually not to pick Mike Bailey in your list above is strange :D

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
think you need to open your eyes mate as the midfield totally changed at the start of the 2nd half cox went from the hole to the left,martot swapeed wings and reidy moved in to the middle

i wouldn't have made any changes up until the time they scored as we were creating chances and needed someone to put one away but once they scored we needed a lift so then i'd have bought hart and elder on

some people seem to want him to make changes for the sake of it which isn't always the answer!

LOL open my eyes, you gotta open your mind.

Look as I said earlier, the team will have a basic shape and Wilkins will ask them to contribute within a pattern of play that they have worked in at training.

But you are unlikely to get such a rigid formation, that will somehow confirm our interpretation or otherwise.

Cox will drift in from his wide position at times and Reid was definately more central with Thomson in both halves. The only obvious change in basic formation was Martot changing wings, hardly cutting edge !

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My little group all said Elder for Revell with 30 minues to go. Bringing Elder on with only a couple of minutes to go does not give the lad a real chance.

I mentioned earlier this :

There was a critical point that stopped an earlier substitution.

Revell was not doing great and he misplaced a pass, straight away you saw Wilkins beckon Elder to get ready.

Then the ball came just at the edge of the box and Revell did well to flick it past a defender and have a shot, that deflected for a corner.

That started a period of decent play by Brighton, including successive corners, that moment the dynamics of the game changed for a while.

The coaching staff decided to leave it whilst we were doing well, thats a decent decision.

It became messy again and then the change was made with Hart and then Elder.

It really wasnt anymore sinister than that.

I agree that making a substitution doesnt realy give any player any opportunity to impress, but I am not sure that is really the relevence to anyone other than Elder himself in any game.

Wilkins and his staff's only responsibilty with 30 mins to go is to hopefully go on and win and definately not lose the match, its not necessarily a time for opportunity or giving the 'kid a chance'.

Elder has daily training and reserve games to impress and push for a place, but it might be that he has shown nothing to suggest that he is likely to offer any real impact either with 30 mins to go or 2mins to go.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It should be noted we did get a goal and they equalised with a fantastic free kick.

I can't imagine Harty will be too happy with himself picking up a three match ban having got himself back in the first team picture.

The lack of a goalkeeper on the bench worries me!

D

Deleted member 2719

hes reactive as opposed to proactive - its a shame because when he makes changes to get us back into games they usually seem to come off. he just seems scared to do it to get us to win games

I agree with 1% of your wilkins negativity and this is the one.
But alot of managers are like that maybe he is just trying to get us safe first as relegation would not be good for the CV - When we are safe maybe he will open these attacking options up sooner in the game.

Whatever he does i still back his judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here