Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins and Subs

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Hmmm. Brighton College? I think we can safely say that the written standard would suggest a better school than that. :D

Is Brighton College what used to be Brighton & Hove High School for Girls? There have been a few spelling errors, so clearly not up to your Lancing College standards BoF!!! Besides, being good at sports, no matter what types, may have been more important than English for our mystery poster. (I'm secretly praying it's Fraser :love: , but I'm pretty sure it's not)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How would someone be able to go to sixth form, private school, and THEN go on to be a pro footballer. Surely it would be too late after all that?

Albion legend, Kenny Deuchar, is a Doctor and Paul Reid is a trained radiologist. Fair enough, they are blips in the trend, but it is not impossible.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Clothes Peg, do you know if any of our players HAVE gone to private school?

Certain individuals may have got scholarships due to talent noticed at a young age. Or indeed those wealthy enough... Obviously I haven't a clue in reality. I know f*** all about football, or the albion for that matter.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is Brighton College what used to be Brighton & Hove High School for Girls? There have been a few spelling errors, so clearly not up to your Lancing College standards BoF!!! Besides, being good at sports, no matter what types, may have been more important than English for our mystery poster. (I'm secretly praying it's Fraser :love: , but I'm pretty sure it's not)

No! Brighton College is a indepedant school on a par with Hurst and Lancing, although not part of the Woodard corporation. B&H High School is a Girls Public Day School Trust or something similar.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
well spotted but I would of loved you to answer that question 5 minutes into the second half and not at 7.50pm after Wilkins had pointed it out to us all ???
think you need to open your eyes mate as the midfield totally changed at the start of the 2nd half cox went from the hole to the left,martot swapeed wings and reidy moved in to the middle

i wouldn't have made any changes up until the time they scored as we were creating chances and needed someone to put one away but once they scored we needed a lift so then i'd have bought hart and elder on

some people seem to want him to make changes for the sake of it which isn't always the answer!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Quite a few people, via msn/pms etc seem to be thinking GATTING. Does anyone want to confirm?

I'm putting money on the fact it's Gatting. £5 to REMF if it's not Joseph Stephen Gatting. I would put more money on it, but I'm a student, and I need to save my pennies for expensive tickets to Withdean :angry:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Hart is not to blame for his sending off?

You are trying to defend the indefensible. I trust you are not a lawyer then - but even Johnny Cochran wouldn't have got Hart off. It was a needless show of testosterone that won him nothing, and perhaps interrupted his brief ascendancy to the first team again. :nono:

Can't argue with that, except I would have said at the end: "...and sadly brought the curtain down on a distinguished BHA career."

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why the hell does it take so long for him to make a sub? It's embarrassing! It was obvious to the majority of the crowd today that Elder, fresh from a goal last week, should have been on with at least 15-20 minutes to go. Preferably for Revell, who was rubbish. So, what does Wilkins do? He waits until 3 minutes from time, and puts HART on upfront for Revell. Ok, not the perfect sub, but still at least there is logic there even if it is too late. But then, a minute later, Elder comes on and Hart moves position after a minute on the pitch! I invite anyone to offer any sensible explanation as to why Wilkins a) waits so late EVERY week, and b) put Hart on and then moved him a minute later. I like Wilkins, but 'decision making' is definitely an area he needs to look at!

If we were comfortable in defense, and putting pressure on the opposition, passing the ball well, controlling the game, why the hell should we look to change things.

The only reason to make an earlier change was if you decided to panic, the side looked balanced and comfortable, and if it wasn't for their great free kick (awarded for what, i still don't know) then we would have won. yet people on here choose instead to attack Wilkins for not using a sub when there was no need to use one anyway.

Just because you can put 3 subs from the 5 players on the bench, it doesn't mean you have too.

Yet it seems that they know best and your only a good manager if you make changes, subs sometimes have the opposite effect on the team, and the performance drops, everyone played well, so as the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

This whole thing sounds like yet more misserable so-called fans who seem to prefer finding fault with something each game, rather than enjoying the game and SUPPORTING the team. (eg. when we played Forrest, against 3 quick forwards, one of the many moaners near me decided that one of his less liked players should be subbed because he kept being done for pace, and to bring on Butters instead, these people have blind spots towards some players, yet a real hatred towards others in the team, no matter what they do.

(p.s - Revell wasn't rubbish, he played well, he won most the things in the air, and managed to direct them towards our players, including some whioch lead to chances for shots on goal, he was far more effective than Forster today, and when Elder did come on, Elder won just one of six headers, and that went straight to an opposition player, one goal doesn't make you a great player, (but one day i hope he does become one for us, and Revell also has been scoring regularly too, or doesn't that ount towards his form))

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I thought Wilkins should have made changes straight after the Hudd goal. Revell and Martot were the right two to come off as neither played particularly well, but I think Elder could have scored given a couple of decent chances. 5 minutes was no time at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here