Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean White

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
All the shit he's taken this season for I don't know what, here are a few contributions of his to our staying up;

-Managed the team during the interim managerial period picking up vital points.

-Brought in Lloyd Owusu.

-Brought in Gary Borrowdale (who has been a forgotten hero in this run).

-Directed Calvin Andrews away from his usual back post position to the area where he scored the goal last night.

Thats just four. And four more reasons I've heard to keep him than reasons I've heard to get rid of him.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep.

I really like Dean White, and I don't quite understand the hate campaign that seems to go ever, ever on.

I was really impressed with his management of the whole situation when Micky left the club, some difficult things must have been said to the players, and I suspect White played a part in preventing a total collapse by the squad and our inevitable slide towards, what would have been, an unavoidable relegation.

He deserves more respect, and he deserves to be given a cheer or two if we manage to avoid the drop.

To be frank I'm not sure why he's put up with the shit that's come his way this season, but he has, and to be honest I'm glad the Micky, Knight, White and Booker out brigade only got 1/4 of what they so desired.

Well done Dean and Bob for that matter.

Kosh

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Well said, would love to debate the matter with the anti-deans but then no-one seems to be able to put together a valid argument on the subject.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the problem with Dean White is more that his job is seemingly protected by Knight. Managers coming to us have so many restrictions (usually spending money cheif among them, but also the temporary stadium which is no longer the fortress it once was) that to add to them by forcing anyone to come in to work with Dean White seems unfair. A manager should be able to choose his own coaching team.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

a) I said seemingly.
b) It seems he is protected because he's stayed despite how many managers coming in? (russell; micky - wasn't very successful; wilkins - became more successful when Chappers joined; mcghee - continued Coppell's success then struggled in the championship on a restricted budget; coppell - did well after turning around hinshelwood's record setting/equaling failure; hinshelwood? - can't remember if white was moved up with Martin, but if he did, it accompanied the record setting(or equaling) losing streak)

And from what I remember often the arrival of these manages are accompanied with a list of their qualifications which tends to include "and he's willing to work with the current coaching staff".

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Playing Devil's advocate, I recall that Dean White was incensed that the Rovers game did not go ahead as planned earlier this season. I cannot remember the detail but he felt that we had a good chnace of beating them then. that was around the time when we brought in 5 loan players and were seeking to bed them in?

Curious stance to me but then I am not a football manager.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Playing Devil's advocate, I recall that Dean White was incensed that the Rovers game did not go ahead as planned earlier this season. I cannot remember the detail but he felt that we had a good chnace of beating them then. that was around the time when we brought in 5 loan players and were seeking to bed them in?

Curious stance to me but then I am not a football manager.

This was because Dean did not his caretaker tenure to end on a 4-0 defeat against Crewe, albeit in ridiculous circumstances. He was desperate to redress the balance.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Did he or was it knight?

It isn't one person who brings in a player. A manager (or caretaker manager) identifies the player, checks availability and may make initial contact with the player and/or agent. Then the chairman (on behalf of the board) gives a thumbs up (or down for whatever reason, too expensive, too old, too risky). If it is a thumbs up, the chairman usually meets with the manager (or cm), player and agent. Or negotiations may be conducted over the phone between chairman and agent, and player and manager (as was the case with AB, GB, MA, GD and LO).

IMHO the most important relationship at a football club is the one between the chairman and manager. Dick and Russ have an excellent relationship, and Dick and Dean have a good relationship, but to suggest Dick is protecting Dean White is total nonsense.

Ultimately it is the manager's choice who their staff are. I have said before Mark McGhee, Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor etc, etc were all happy with the set up. Additionally, Adams, Coppell and McGhee have offered jobs to Dean and Bob in the past at other clubs, indeed Mark had earmarked Bob to be part of his backroom team if he got the Scotland job!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Dean has worked very hard watching lots of games, sussing out opposition and bringing in players.

Whether he is good enough is Knight or the managers decsion

Last edited:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
This was because Dean did not his caretaker tenure to end on a 4-0 defeat against Crewe, albeit in ridiculous circumstances. He was desperate to redress the balance.

Totally appreciate that point of view but in the spirit of the bigger picture with the 'squad' having gelled somewhat more we proven to be better placed to wn the game last night. I cannot think we would have been a better unit in preparation for the game earlier in the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It isn't one person who brings in a player. A manager (or caretaker manager) identifies the player, checks availability and may make initial contact with the player and/or agent. Then the chairman (on behalf of the board) gives a thumbs up (or down for whatever reason, too expensive, too old, too risky). If it is a thumbs up, the chairman usually meets with the manager (or cm), player and agent. Or negotiations may be conducted over the phone between chairman and agent, and player and manager (as was the case with AB, GB, MA, GD and LO).

Not to mention the scouts who also go looking for players to bring to the attention of the club. It's also why I never judge a manager on his signings, or the money he makes through transfer dealings.

Dick and Dean have a good relationship, but to suggest Dick is protecting Dean White is total nonsense.

I didn't mean he was, just that there is a perception he is, which is unsettling, makes some fans doubt White's worth for the club (i.e. if he was good at his job he wouldn't need protecting). I think it is important that the manager chooses his assitants/coaches, and if Slade is happy with White I'm not going to join the calls for him to go - which have lessened since we got back on winning form.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Totally appreciate that point of view but in the spirit of the bigger picture with the 'squad' having gelled somewhat more we proven to be better placed to wn the game last night. I cannot think we would have been a better unit in preparation for the game earlier in the season.

Absolutely, and I am sure DW would agree now with the benefit of hindsight. I actually felt at the time the postponement would be a benefit because we'd have Michel back, but also Muzza and Fozzie back... but instead we had Calvin and Harty!!

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Not to mention the scouts who also go looking for players to bring to the attention of the club. It's also why I never judge a manager on his signings, or the money he makes through transfer dealings.

I didn't mean he was, just that there is a perception he is, which is unsettling, makes some fans doubt White's worth for the club (i.e. if he was good at his job he wouldn't need protecting). I think it is important that the manager chooses his assitants/coaches, and if Slade is happy with White I'm not going to join the calls for him to go - which have lessened since we got back on winning form.

Top man!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
don't have an issue with white but i hope comedy bob is asked to leave at the end of the season for the simple reason that adams brought him in. every decision adams took has proven to be wrong so don't see why his decision to bring booker back would be any different.

of course i don't have a clue what he does or doesn't do behind the scenes. on match days his role seems to be water boy.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks Insider for clearing a couple of points up :thumbsup:

With the postponement of the Bristol Rovers game- it wasn't as if by saying that it should go ahead it would of. It had been postponed, so the fact he came out and said that is pretty much irrelvant. But if that is the only real criticism of him then thats great :D

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... Then the chairman (on behalf of the board) gives a thumbs up (or down for whatever reason, too expensive, too old, too risky)....
The expense bit I understand and accept - that's down to the board to control. But too old and too risky? Why do they feel they are qualified enough to make those judgements on players and effectively overrule the paid professional's opinion? It does lead credence to those who say that Knight interferes with the running of the team if he's saying "You can't have Player X because I think he's too old."

Also I'm disappointed that White wanted the Rovers game to go ahead to try and 'wipe the slate clean' after the Crewe debacle. That suggests he cared more about his record as stand-in manager than he did about our potential survival.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Dean White is an Albion legend. He gets some appalling stick on here, yet goes out and still gives everything he's got for the cause, we don't really deserve someone of his ilk. Thanks Dean for all your hard work from those of us who are always 100% behind the club, not just when we're winning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here