Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean White

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
The expense bit I understand and accept - that's down to the board to control. But too old and too risky? Why do they feel they are qualified enough to make those judgements on players and effectively overrule the paid professional's opinion? It does lead credence to those who say that Knight interferes with the running of the team if he's saying "You can't have Player X because I think he's too old."

Also I'm disappointed that White wanted the Rovers game to go ahead to try and 'wipe the slate clean' after the Crewe debacle. That suggests he cared more about his record as stand-in manager than he did about our potential survival.

1. I'm not just talking about the Albion here, but in general. Ultimately it's the board of any club who control the finances and they might be willing to risk £X in wages on a player they know they'll get 35 games from - but not on a player they might feel (because of injury record or age) they might not. Also, some clubs have age policies (Spurs, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool), where they won't sign players over a certain age. The point is that the board at any club sets a transfer policy and budget, the manager then works within that policy and budget. Equally a manager may look for extra funding, or relaxation of policy, if they feel the need.

2. Rubbish. At the time, he felt we could win the game. He wanted to win it, end of. I am sure if you ask him now, after last night, he looks upon this in a different light now.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Slade needs to bring in his own backroom staff, if he likes White and thinks he is good enough that is good enough for me. If not well he can go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
don't have an issue with white but i hope comedy bob is asked to leave at the end of the season for the simple reason that adams brought him in. every decision adams took has proven to be wrong so don't see why his decision to bring booker back would be any different.

of course i don't have a clue what he does or doesn't do behind the scenes. on match days his role seems to be water boy.

Bob Booker is the RESERVE TEAM manager.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
1. I'm not just talking about the Albion here, but in general. Ultimately it's the board of any club who control the finances and they might be willing to risk £X in wages on a player they know they'll get 35 games from - but not on a player they might feel (because of injury record or age) they might not. Also, some clubs have age policies (Spurs, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool), where they won't sign players over a certain age. The point is that the board at any club sets a transfer policy and budget, the manager then works within that policy and budget. Equally a manager may look for extra funding, or relaxation of policy, if they feel the need.

2. Rubbish. At the time, he felt we could win the game. He wanted to win it, end of. I am sure if you ask him now, after last night, he looks upon this in a different light now.

1 - Again I don't disagree, and as I said unlike some on here I have no problem with the club turning down a manager's request on financial grounds. Also I think it's sensible to have a policy where you say you won't sign a player over a certain age. But you haven't really answered the question. If the manager said to the board "I want Player X on loan, I know he's over the agreed age limit but he's injury-free and I think he can do a short-term job" then that is his considered professional opinion. If the board turn that down on age grounds alone then they're saying that they don't trust the manager's professional opinion: "Yeah, you say he can do the job but we don't think he can." In that instance the board are 'interfering' by overruling the manager's professional judgment. Of course that could be what happens at every club but it does sound a bit like having a dog and barking yourself.

2 - I'm sorry but your dismissal is a bit cavalier. Of course White wanted to win the game and of course he believed he could have, how could he say anything else? - but he'd have been wrong on both counts. He WAS only the caretaker and at the end of the day that postponement could be what keeps us up.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
1. We're debating in the land of the theoretical here, but nonetheless it depends how strictly a board implements its policies. And if they do overrule the manager, it doesn't mean they don't trust his professional opinion, it means they don't want to deviate from policy...

2. Why are you disappointed that White wanted the game to go ahead? At the time he felt Albion could beat Bristol Rovers and he didn't have a crystal ball to see into the future! With hindsight, as I have said (three times) he is very happy with how things have worked out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here