Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond - Poor finisher

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
It's actually his first season when he has held down a regular place in the team rather than just had a bunch of games here and there. I think that's a great step forward for him and he is developing well.

I disagree that he has developed well. I think this is because of a number of reasons. Firstly last year he had nothing to lose whereas this year expectation has been on him, especially to score goals, and I think the weight of that expectation and his early season misses have caused a lack of confidence that is making him play within himself.
Secondly, he has had a number of midfield partners which has made it hard for him to settle into his own game.
Finally, I feel Hammond needs someone to do the nuts and bolts in midfield while he gets on with the attacking runs. The expectation on him right now is to boss the midfield and be that Lampard type player, which he clearly isn't. He doesn't have the range of passing or the tackling ability to do it. However he is more of a David Platt type player, popping up in the box and playing shot passes around the edge of the area.

Les Biehn said:
I disagree that he has developed well. I think this is because of a number of reasons. Firstly last year he had nothing to lose whereas this year expectation has been on him, especially to score goals, and I think the weight of that expectation and his early season misses have caused a lack of confidence that is making him play within himself.
Secondly, he has had a number of midfield partners which has made it hard for him to settle into his own game.
Finally, I feel Hammond needs someone to do the nuts and bolts in midfield while he gets on with the attacking runs. The expectation on him right now is to boss the midfield and be that Lampard type player, which he clearly isn't. He doesn't have the range of passing or the tackling ability to do it. However he is more of a David Platt type player, popping up in the box and playing shot passes around the edge of the area.

I think a few fickle fans have turned on him because of the unfortunate misses in front of goal. Most recognise he is a young player and a bright talent who will continue to develop well and steadily, regardless of whatever overinflated weight of expectation that impatient fans put on him.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Les Biehn said:
Bollox! This thread is about abusing young players - not making reasoned and intelligent criticisms.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
mona said:
Bollox! This thread is about abusing young players - not making reasoned and intelligent criticisms.

Good point. I shall stop immediately.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
MrV said:
Dean Hammond's simply crap. He isn't a championship footballer and never will be.

Should do well in league one next season though.

What a stupid thing to say about one of our best young players. Dean Hammond is definitely Championship quality and has the potential to be one of the best midfielders we have had at this club in a long time.

Yes he has missed a few sitters this season but other than Sidwell who have we had in midfield in recent years who has got into those positions. This is his first full season in the first team so give him a chance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Finchley Seagull said:
What a stupid thing to say about one of our best young players. Dean Hammond is definitely Championship quality and has the potential to be one of the best midfielders we have had at this club in a long time.

Yes he has missed a few sitters this season but other than Sidwell who have we had in midfield in recent years who has got into those positions. This is his first full season in the first team so give him a chance.

Yep i go along with that - its his bad luck that Chippy has been in poor form at teh same time.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Hammond looked liked he needed a break earlier on in the season, but we don't have another attacking midfielder to replace him with. He's still a young player and needs rotating now and then.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Les Biehn said:
He needs a mobile work horse with a bit of passing ability beside him.

Sadly, exactly that player was sitting in Hospitality again. How Nicolas can't even make the bench is quite perplexing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think he will be a great player as he progresses and stop having a go at him :angry: :angry:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Repugnant Toad said:
Sadly, exactly that player was sitting in Hospitality again. How Nicolas can't even make the bench is quite perplexing.

Should have been them two from the beginning of the season.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I think Dean Hammond has been ok this season, after the misses earlier in the season he could've sherked his responsibility, but he still gives 110% for the cause, he has never shyed away from his responsibility and if it weren't for his goals last season we'd be in League One right now.

MrV said:
His face and hairstyle even irritates me greatly.
Ah, that explains it. Yes, he is the kind of pretty boy who inspires envy.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
MrV said:
If you honestly think that without wearing your blue and white tinted spectacles, you clearly have limited knowledge about the game.

The one admirable trait he has is work rate. But what's work rate if you're a centre midfielder that can't pass, shoot or pretty much do anything else that a centre midfielder should be able to do. His physical attributes are distinctly average such as his strength, pace and ability in the air. His decisions are woeful, he constantly passes back, or holds the ball up at the wrong time, perhaps when he has the opportunity to shoot or get it out wide. When he gets out wide himself, he NEVER looks up and just smashes it in, usually to an opposition defender or goaly. He has literally no creativity, I don't think he's made a single cutting pass since he's been at this club, and it's not as if you can excuse him because he's a holding midfielder. Seriously what is the point in him? All this and I'm yet to mention how many points he's cost us due to his woeful composure in front of goal.

There are few players I dislike out a club, but Hammond is certainly one of them. His face and hairstyle even irritates me greatly.

Im not getting the complaining about players passing back?

id rather a player played it backwards and keeps the ball than hoofing it forward to noone

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is not me criticising a young player - but unfortunately at the moment, Dean hammond's second touch is usually a tackle.

However, I do think he has a future here, he proved that last year. Regrettably, with Charlie out, I would play him and Nicholas in midfield or Carpenter and Nicholas.

In time, hammond's confidence and therefore first touch will return

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
ROSM said:
This is not me criticising a young player - but unfortunately at the moment, Dean hammond's second touch is usually a tackle.

However, I do think he has a future here, he proved that last year. Regrettably, with Charlie out, I would play him and Nicholas in midfield or Carpenter and Nicholas.

In time, hammond's confidence and therefore first touch will return

Do you think Nicolas will be here next season?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Ah, that explains it. Yes, he is the kind of pretty boy who inspires envy.

Hammond a pretty boy?! Your taste in men leaves a lot to be desired LI.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
MrV said:
If you honestly think that without wearing your blue and white tinted spectacles, you clearly have limited knowledge about the game.

The one admirable trait he has is work rate. But what's work rate if you're a centre midfielder that can't pass, shoot or pretty much do anything else that a centre midfielder should be able to do. His physical attributes are distinctly average such as his strength, pace and ability in the air. His decisions are woeful, he constantly passes back, or holds the ball up at the wrong time, perhaps when he has the opportunity to shoot or get it out wide. When he gets out wide himself, he NEVER looks up and just smashes it in, usually to an opposition defender or goaly. He has literally no creativity, I don't think he's made a single cutting pass since he's been at this club, and it's not as if you can excuse him because he's a holding midfielder. Seriously what is the point in him? All this and I'm yet to mention how many points he's cost us due to his woeful composure in front of goal.

There are few players I dislike out a club, but Hammond is certainly one of them. His face and hairstyle even irritates me greatly.

Funnily enough I would imagine I have considerably more knowledge of the game than you. I also do not dislike any current Brighton players especially if they give 100% as Dean Hammond does.

I have to ask whether you go to many games because making statements like Hammond is not and never will be Championship quality is rubbish. He has had a mixed first season but will definitely improve over time. As has already been said, he has not had a consistent partner due to injuries.

Why is passing back seen as a negative. You criticise him for hoofing it forward without looking up and for passing backwards. How does this work? Surely the best option is to pass backwards when there is nobody ahead.

I would never write this kind of rubbish about a Brighton player even if it were true. If you really believe it you should keep it to yourself. We have had a poor season and you seem to be singling out Dean Hammond for criticism.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Hammond has suffered with the weight of expectation on him from his performances last season.

He has had some bad games...but who this season hasn't ?

Feel he does need to improve his finishing though.... not sure i can remember seeing him score too many with his feet.... know he scored one this season with his feet but most of the goals i remember him scoring are with his head.

As has been said he needs Nicolas or Charlie alongside him, him and Chippy are often too close together or doing the same things..... and bearing in mind this is his first full season in the first team i think he has done well.

Is he another player that will benefit from a season in league 1 ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
brightonfan_86 said:
Hammond has cost us alot of points this season with his finishing, today is another example. He needs to work on his finishing in training.

According to one CURRENT first teamer we dont do much training. Maybe its because the do things differently over there (thats a clue)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here