Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond Hits Rock Bottom

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i seem to have seen that hammond got a substantial pay hike going to colchester so fair play to him.

which of us\wouldn't?

Yes but its different if you are a football player.....
I think people might have been sympathetic to his honesty if he'd simply stated he wanted more money, but no. He wraps up his greed in wooley language such as how he's been forced out or not wanted.

And seemingly, none of that was true.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think people might have been sympathetic to his honesty if he'd simply stated he wanted more money, but no. He wraps up his greed in wooley language such as how he's been forced out or not wanted.

And seemingly, none of that was true.

Maybe, but even if Colchester go down :

1: Championship clubs who had been interested will get a chance to see if he can cut it at that level before making an offer in the summer.

2: When he left, Colchester had more of a chance of being in the Championship than Brighton did - and this is still the case.

3: I f Colchester go down they will still have a fairly strong side and a good chance of going straght back up.

It was a gamble by Hammond but what if Dick Knight had said to him go now or stay in the reserves till the summer?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I have it on good authority (Director) that Hammond is unhappy at the Us. Interesting that he has a relegation leaving clause.
PG

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Both O'Callaghan and Forster went public over what was happening with Hammond and the club.
It wasn't DK's finest moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe, but even if Colchester go down :

1: Championship clubs who had been interested will get a chance to see if he can cut it at that level before making an offer in the summer.
Hmmm, debateable. He keeps being played as a 70th minute substitute!

2: When he left, Colchester had more of a chance of being in the Championship than Brighton did - and this is still the case.
True, but there really isn't much in it any more.

3: If Colchester go down they will still have a fairly strong side and a good chance of going straight back up.
Disagree. All the half decent Colchester players will have left in the summer.

It was a gamble by Hammond but what if Dick Knight had said to him go now or stay in the reserves till the summer?
None of us have any evidence to suggest that was the case. And frankly, I think it is unlikely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Both O'Callaghan and Forster went public over what was happening with Hammond and the club.
Who knows? One demoralised worker can have a negative affect on the rest of the workforce, so sometimes it's best just to get rid of the cause of the problem. It might have been that Hammond thought he was worth more than he was being offered, then moaned to the rest of the squad about this offer forever and ever.

The fact is, he's left and now everything appears to be rosy in the camp again - it's not looking like a DK mistake any more in my opinion.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Who knows? One demoralised worker can have a negative affect on the rest of the workforce, so sometimes it's best just to get rid of the cause of the problem. It might have been that Hammond thought he was worth more than he was being offered, then moaned to the rest of the squad about this offer forever and ever.

The fact is, he's left and now everything appears to be rosy in the camp again - it's not looking like a DK mistake any more in my opinion.

The team didn't look very demoralised before Christmas.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Forster and Wilkins both obviously respect each other and Forster has proven to be a very very good captain. For whatever reason, Hammond left and Brighton are a better side with a better captain.

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
Stayed with the big club you should have stayed with the big club:lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Are you aware of the EXACT circumstances surrounding his move?

If you are, then fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but if not, then you are being a bit harsh.

No of course i dont know the exact details, no one does however much they say they've got INSIDE INFO. But my opinion on Hammond's based on what i know, however true that may be or not.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Good point but Forster is still here. Probably Forster being a senior pro when he says something its constructive. GO'C and Hammod were spitting their respective dummies.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hammond wanted the money and to be in the shop window of the Championship. He also probably gauged that after the O'Callaghan/Savage/Richards cock-ups and the loss of form our season was f***ed. He should have shown more faith in the manager's ability to recruit good players.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good point but Forster is still here. Probably Forster being a senior pro when he says something its constructive. GO'C and Hammod were spitting their respective dummies.

Totally agree. Forster's 'outburst' was very much public advice. Hammond was speaking via his agent and GO'C had a severe case of verbal diarrhea.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Totally agree. Forster's 'outburst' was very much public advice. Hammond was speaking via his agent and GO'C had a severe case of verbal diarrhea.

im not exactly sure what forster said, but it wasnt it pretty much the same as what o'callaghan said - ie contracts need sorting and players dont know whether they are coming and going?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
im not exactly sure what forster said, but it wasnt it pretty much the same as what o'callaghan said - ie contracts need sorting and players dont know whether they are coming and going?

Possibly. :D

I am just bitter about the whole thing. I don't think it was GO'C duty to go public, particularly as he was on a loan spell and never really likely to stay. It did seem, at the time, that his own self-importance took priority.

On a totally level playing field, I would rather that none of this was discussed via agents/press and players go to the chairman and board with their concerns.

I felt that it was very much O'Callaghan and Hammond trying to get themselves in the press to engineer a move away (not with us) and a better contract, respectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here