Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond Hits Rock Bottom

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Hammond's departure might prove to be a blessing for us as Forster is a better captain and is having a huge influence on the younger players. You can see how much respect the players have for Forster. He has the experience and gravitas that Hammond lacks early in his career. Forster leads from the front, but he organises the midfield and the defence. Watch him when we are defending corners. I would say that he shares responsibility with Wilkins for our recent run of good results. He is the perfect bridge between management and players.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Do I? Well i use to love Hammond, but he thought he was too good for the club, he thought he was IT. So serves him right that hes at a shit club and is only playing half hour a game.

Why do you think that "he thought he was it" - is it because he went to a "bigger" club? You can't stop players looking for somewhere else and being ambitious, it's football! I'd be much more worried about a player who's happy to sit on his arse and shows no ambition whatsoever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Albion coaching staff deserve a bit of credit here because the level of performance the likes of Cullip, Savage, Bertin, Hammond and Leon Knight gave us are clearly better than the clubs they've subsequently left us for.

I don't hold anything against Hammond, he's just not a very bright boy who was badly-advised. Passing up the possibility of leading out the Albion at Falmer to be a sub at a tin pot outfit is not the best move he'll ever make.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Why do you think that "he thought he was it" - is it because he went to a "bigger" club? You can't stop players looking for somewhere else and being ambitious, it's football! I'd be much more worried about a player who's happy to sit on his arse and shows no ambition whatsoever.

Yeh but we did this whole argument before when he was leaving. I thought and still think that he should have shown some more loyalty to the club. But thats my opinion isnt it.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Yeh but we did this whole argument before when he was leaving. I thought and still think that he should have shown some more loyalty to the club. But thats my opinion isnt it.

Why should he? Of course it's nice if someone's loyal, but it's not essential, and it certianly doesnt make him a dick if he goes!

I think we're better off without him anyway, but that's due to his ability, not his personal traits.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Do I? Well i use to love Hammond, but he thought he was too good for the club, he thought he was IT. So serves him right that hes at a shit club and is only playing half hour a game.

Are you aware of the EXACT circumstances surrounding his move?

If you are, then fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but if not, then you are being a bit harsh.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
I have just read (on BrightonFans) that Hammond told Yorkshire Seagull that he did not want to leave the club. I am not sure how he knows, but find that VERY hard to believe. A player would is far more likely to tell the supporter what he wants them to hear as opposed to the truth. A hefty wage increase and an escape route should they get relegated would be tempting alone.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
bas regreats leaving
bertin regrets leaving
and im CERTAIN hammond will be regretting his decision also.

All from agents advising for more money.....all proving again dick 'tight' was offering a good deal for them all along.

Moving to Colchester was just moving for the sake of leaving somewhere where he had made himself unwanted as such.

nailed it precisely

scooter1

How soon is now?
I liked Hammond, Brighton born player and season by season he improved into a good league one player.

I have no problem with players leaving to better themselves...its what we all want to do career wise and im sure the money was maybe a little more. But I dont get players who leave to go to clubs that dont really improve their careers.

Fair play to Bobby Z,Dan Harding,Adam Virgo,Danny Cullip...some worked out and some didnt....

But to leave us for colchester...is a fcuking insult...he talks about championship ambition....colchester are a smaller club than us by a long shot.....and I think its rather sad that a brighton boy has left us to join a joke outfit like them.......

Well done deano...
:laugh:

Agreed. It was a silly move and if there really was a "if we don't get promoted" clause in his new contract then that makes it doubly silly.

Could somebody clarify what his squad number was? I thought it was 10, but Thmoson wears 10, and they were supposedly at the club - albeit for a very short time - together. This must mean that his deal had gone through before Thomson signed, and that they never were going to play together......

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Agreed. It was a silly move and if there really was a "if we don't get promoted" clause in his new contract then that makes it doubly silly.

Could somebody clarify what his squad number was? I thought it was 10, but Thmoson wears 10, and they were supposedly at the club - albeit for a very short time - together. This must mean that his deal had gone through before Thomson signed, and that they never were going to play together......

Dean Hammond was number 11 and had been for the past 3 years since Currie left.

O'Callaghan was 10, now it's Thomson.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
i seem to have seen that hammond got a substantial pay hike going to colchester so fair play to him.

which of us\wouldn't?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here