Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond = Adam Virgo

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't really care about the rest of his game (well, I do)
What I like is that he has that instinct to be in the right place to get headers and rebounds and things like that which can turn a match (which is what Virgo did)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
anyone remember when Hammond broke into the team last year, just looked on Football 365 and he actually scored 4 goals in 9 games at the end of the season , added to this season thats 6 in 12 - without him we'd be down last year + most certainly bottom this year.

Easy, Nicolas was being touted as our player of the season by many on here last season.

Funnily enough, if you could Frankenstein monster together Nicolas' best qualities and Hammond's, that would be one heck of a player.

I like Hammond's latest comment that he is going to Hull to make a point to Peter Taylor. Here's hoping :drink:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whilst I dont want to overhype anything. It is conceivable that Hammond (like Virgo) could be the next big transfer away from the club.

Maybe not for a couple years but he certainly has the potential.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
Easy, Nicolas was being touted as our player of the season by many on here last season.

Funnily enough, if you could Frankenstein monster together Nicolas' best qualities and Hammond's, that would be one heck of a player.

I like Hammond's latest comment that he is going to Hull to make a point to Peter Taylor. Here's hoping :drink:
Weeeelll, if I had a penny for every daft/bizarre or downright mental opinion posted on these hallowed pages, I'd probably have enough by now to buy a bag of Walkers Sensations.

As for the Nicolas/Hammond mututation idea...naah. I'm quite happy with the way the HAM is developing as it is. What do you think Nicolas has that Hammond hasn't then, out of interest ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Easy 10 said:
What do you think Nicolas has that Hammond hasn't then, out of interest ? [/B]

I saw Nicolas on tv (some digital channel) with dominic diamond the other day playing some football game on some console . I think he got to the final beating some WBA player.

I don't think Hammond has managed that .

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dover said:
Hopefully negotiations are ongoing to keep him here.

So was Virgo this summer and he signed a contract.
Unfortunately it doesn't keep them here but it does give us money.
Unf

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dover said:
Hopefully negotiations are ongoing to keep him here.

I think a number of them are out of contract at the end of this season. From what I remember, Hinsh was only given a contract until the end of this season as well.

Like all things, I guess get a positive decision on the ground and then these promising youngsters can be tied down to long term contracts.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Uncle Buck said:
I think a number of them are out of contract at the end of this season. From what I remember, Hinsh was only given a contract until the end of this season as well.

Like all things, I guess get a positive decision on the ground and then these promising youngsters can be tied down to long term contracts.

I can't do two quotes at once, but money in the bank will do for a start, if we have to sell. I also think you are quite right UB, it is again down to the decision about the ground.

Easy 10 said:
Weeeelll, if I had a penny for every daft/bizarre or downright mental opinion posted on these hallowed pages, I'd probably have enough by now to buy a bag of Walkers Sensations.

As for the Nicolas/Hammond mututation idea...naah. I'm quite happy with the way the HAM is developing as it is. What do you think Nicolas has that Hammond hasn't then, out of interest ?

Two things, he is more comfortable passer, and he is also a bit nippier. Hammond is not really that quick, he has to rely on strength and footwork to beat players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
Two things, he is more comfortable passer, and he is also a bit nippier. Hammond is not really that quick, he has to rely on strength and footwork to beat players.
Can't have it all though, can we. Powerful, leggy players by their nature arn't going to be nippy. As for the passing - I don't think Hammond really gets much chance to show his range of passes when he's on the flank. He's not quick or tricky so he's not going to get round anyone, and he is naturally more constricted by being closer to the touchline.

I yearn to see him in the middle of the park, where he can win the ball with a bear-trap tackle, look up, and have a bewildering array of options in front and to either side. Leon in space down the left....maybe Carole pelting down the right...ooh hang on, CKR has lost his marker down the middle.....

** DROOL **

Last edited:

You think he would pick out those passes, then? Based on what evidence? And giving him a central role, which is by its nature a more defensive one, might restrict his opportunities to get in the box and get on the end of chances created by other players. It's amazing to me that he's got 6 goals in 12 games and everyone thinks McGhee is mishandling him positionally :jester:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
You think he would pick out those passes, then? Based on what evidence? And giving him a central role, which is by its nature a more defensive one, might restrict his opportunities to get in the box and get on the end of chances created by other players. It's amazing to me that he's got 6 goals in 12 games and everyone thinks McGhee is mishandling him positionally :jester:

Ah but if you play a 3 man central midfield, presumably you play 2 of Nicolas, Carpenter and Oatway behind him and then he is give the scope to get into the box and score goals.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
Based on the evidence, no, the FACT, that he is a damn good player. I'm not saying he'd turn into Zidane in central midfield, but I've seen enough of him now to form the opinion that he could do a damn good job for us in the middle, and be far more influential there than from his current position.

He's got the stamina, determination (and youth) to get up and down the field, and would be more than capable of adhering to defensive responsibilities too. If Chippy doesn't shake off his current malaise, then I can't see what harm could come of trying him out in there.

I think if he was as good a passer as you make out, his progress into the Albion's first team wouldn't have been quite so chequered. The reality is, it has taken time for Albion managers to figure out his strengths, and credit to McGhee for now playing to them.

Uncle Buck said:
Ah but if you play a 3 man central midfield, presumably you play 2 of Nicolas, Carpenter and Oatway behind him and then he is give the scope to get into the box and score goals.

McGhee tried Knight in that role on Saturday, and I thought he had his best game for many, many months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here