Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond = Adam Virgo

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
McGhee tried Knight in that role on Saturday, and I thought he had his best game for many, many months.

But it was almost as right of the 3 midfielder, very odd, but it did work.

Just wonder if you allow Hammond to go bounding forward with 2 holding midfielders, whether that will bring a lot of quick goals as he is an unknown quantity at this time to the opposition.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
I think if he was as good a passer as you make out, his progress into the Albion's first team wouldn't have been quite so chequered. The reality is, it has taken time for Albion managers to figure out his strengths, and credit to McGhee for now playing to them.
He doesn't need to be the most amazing passer of the ball to be an effective force in central midfield. I'm not saying he's capable of spraying 60-70 yard passes all over the field, or threading the ball through the eye of a needle to put players clean through.

What he WOULD bring to the midfield though is a dynamic presence that we currently lack, and a real threat bursting forward into the box. He's the kind of player who can get stuck in, rough up the opposition, make a real nuisance of himself, and act as enough of an attacking threat for the opposition to have to do something about. Charlie can scuffle about to an extent and break things up, but he doesn't carry one iota of attacking threat to the opposition. Chippy, on his game, is a better passer than Hammond, but he's starting to show his age and needs to get out of his current funk if he's to contribute to the team.

As it stands, in my opinion, right now MM could sacrifice either of those two for Hammond in the middle, and it wouild pay dividends.

Easy 10 said:
As it stands, in my opinion, right now MM could sacrifice either of those two for Hammond in the middle, and it wouild pay dividends.

Well, don't be too surprised if it doesn't happen quickly, mainly because you underestimate Charlie and Chippy's contribution and idealistically overestimate Hammond's all-round game. However, see the next post...........

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
Just wonder if you allow Hammond to go bounding forward with 2 holding midfielders, whether that will bring a lot of quick goals as he is an unknown quantity at this time to the opposition.

I really don't see that's a lot different to what we're doing with Hammond now. There doesn't seem to be too much problem with Hammond's ability to raid the box, albeit from the left?

You could swap Knight and Hammond round, and move Knight to the left flank, but I'd personally like to see more of Leon playing in his Crewe position because he did very well there.

But, who knows, you may get your wish because, as we know, McGhee is not wedded to set formations and is willing to try new systems and formations when he spots something in the opposition that can be probed and exploited.

I like the fact that we can expect the unexpected from McGhee.

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't really mind where MM plays Hammond, just as long as he keeps scoring. If he can get 15+ goals this season from midfield then he'll become a big target in the summer. He seems to make runs that aren't being picked up by defenders - and he also has good instincts about where the ball's going. I don't know about the next Virgo, but he could become our version of Frank Lampard.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I LOVE Easy's droolings and I'm confident Dean will get to play in the center eventually.

I think he's currently covering in a position to help the team, just like Virgo playing up front rather than in defence.

However, I think Hammond playing on the left is really helping both the team and his own development.

Despite losing to Reading, they played Glen Little down the right who is a big bugger and Knight, Jarrett wouldn't have been able to cope with him defencivly.

I've mentioned at a zillion times I'm sure, so sorry for those who've heard this before, but he struggled in the center at Coventry.

I thought he looked flat footed, poorly positioned and off the pace. Charlie and Chippy are expirienced pros at the dirty work in the middle and cover a lot of ground between them which makes it hard for opposing teams. Despite their limitations they're a big reason why we have the 'plucky' tag and pull out unexpected results.

By playing on the left, he's covering a position we need fullfilled, he's getting first team expirience, thus developing his positioning and defencive work. It alows him a little more room to do his thing and get forward without having as much responsibilty on him in the middle.

Noticed McGhee said he's looking to sign a left back and central defender, not a left winger. Think he's looking to Hammond to keep that position now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here