Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You only have Pedro's say so. No-one knows what was happening in the camp. Just because one player says something doesn't mean it's gospel.

It's like people who share stuff in Facebook without looking into it. Grinds me gears.

They were fine the previous season.
Make up your mind! :wink: :lol:

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Right after this, Joao Pedro says this about Roberto De Zerbi: "He's different from what you think, brother, he's an alien. I said before, he's like Pep, Arteta, the guy from Tottenham too. The level of the guys, brother, I already said it in an interview I gave in England. Top for me, top 10 coach in the world. I don't know what happened between Brighton and him, but the moment he falls into a team with more money...brother forget it, it's going to be difficult to stop the man."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
RDZ being an absolute perfectionist and probably a nightmare coach was well known and no one cared when we were qualifying for Europe.
Well known to whom and how come it hadn’t been posted before?

All of a sudden everyone is claiming to be ITK, when Paul Barber said it was a mutual agreement.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Reading between the lines on Pedro’s comments about putting him in a club with money, it sounds like RDZ lost patience with the injuries, hence lack of players he wanted, then he became f***ing difficult and took it out on the players.

Who knows. RDZ was special though and maybe we weren’t good enough for him once he didn’t have the players at his disposal to play like he wanted and he got impatient, the lack of signings in the January window may have tipped him over the edge? :shrug:

TOTAL speculation but he did seem to wind it in at the end of the season but maybe TB had decided he wouldn’t be bullied into breaking the model and a mutual parting of the ways was agreed?

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
RDZ being an absolute perfectionist and probably a nightmare coach was well known and no one cared when we were qualifying for Europe.
True.

I’m not RDZ’s biggest fan at all but I’ve got no problem with him being passionate and totally demanding of the players, a lot of players will expect it.

Every manager has their own way and this is his. It’s whatever works for them, there’s no point them trying to pretend to be someone they’re not. We knew what RDZ was when we appointed him. Some players will thrive off it, others not so much.

Last edited:

Reading between the lines on Pedro’s comments about putting him in a club with money, it sounds like RDZ lost patience with the injuries, hence lack of players he wanted, then he became f***ing difficult and took it out on the players.

Who knows. RDZ was special though and maybe we weren’t good enough for him once he didn’t have the players at his disposal to play like he wanted and he got impatient, the lack of signings in the January window may have tipped him over the edge? :shrug:

TOTAL speculation but he did seem to wind it in at the end of the season but maybe TB had decided he wouldn’t be bullied into breaking the model and a mutual parting of the ways was agreed?
But didn't Pedro say the hairdryer treatment happened right from the start of his time at the club, not in the second half of the season when injuries piled up. It's obviously how he works, he's a hard ass bastard, a lot of the top managers are

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But didn't Pedro say the hairdryer treatment happened right from the start of his time at the club, not in the second half of the season when injuries piled up. It's obviously how he works, he's a hard ass bastard, a lot of the top managers are
I think were, is the word you’re looking for. When I think of the current crop of elite managers they’re not the bullying types of before.

As an aside, I’m not following Pedro’s thoughts on RDZ and a rich club, does he think he’ll be a success or a failure because of his behavior?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Much ado about nothing. RDZ is a maniac. He admitted that himself when he joined.
Agree with JP. If he gets a break at a rich club he could go on to extremely high levels.

I think were, is the word you’re looking for. When I think of the current crop of elite managers they’re not the bullying types of before.
So why does Pedro directly compare RDZ to Pep and Arteta? Do you think those two are mild Stevie Coppell types in the dressing room and training pitch?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So why does Pedro directly compare RDZ to Pep and Arteta? Do you think those two are mild Stevie Coppell types in the dressing room and training pitch?
Neither strike me as the bullying Fergie Clough types though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I honestly thought it was obvious and not a secret? Not claiming to be ITK at all!

Maybe nightmare is too strong a word, but the way he'd push players and sometimes criticise after games. It worked but I can imagine he was difficult at times.
Brian Clough.

Let's hope we keep on attracting one-off iconoclasts as managers. We are Brighton, not West Ham or Everton.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brian Clough.

Let's hope we keep on attracting one-off iconoclasts as managers. We are Brighton, not West Ham or Everton.
Yes, but no 'new Brian Clough', thank you. Awful manager for us!

And of course de Zerbi left by mutual agreement, not sacked. PBOBE said so! I wonder what the outcome would have been if de Zerbi hadn't agreed to it .................................
:) :wink:

Neither strike me as the bullying Fergie Clough types though.
For real? Pep gesticulates like a maniac in players' faces even when the cameras are on him - what does he do when they aren't. I read Arteta had the worst disciplinary record of any Prem manager this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here