Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 4 - Tue 8th Feb - NO ONE WALKS MILES TO FOOTBALL

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Inquiry Update: An Hours Worth

Get some coffee, this may take sometime:

I wandered into Brighton Town Hall like a Sheep walking into a pack of Cardiff Fans - Nervous and not quite sure what to expect!
Mr Lee/Leigh the BHAFC Transport Expert was in the box answering questions from some NIMBY bloke (did'nt catch his name and he was'nt Mr White). I entered part way through the Train conversation at Shoreham Port, the NIMBY bloke said "London trains stop at Aldrington..." virtually everyone shook their head knowing this to be false. More conversation on Shoreham Port trains such as Portslade being able to take 12carriages comapred to Falmers 6, before that was dropped in favour of the Buses, now things started to get interesting.

The NIMBY bloke had "evidence" from various local Coach/Bus companies who said they would supply motors for Events, Mr Lee responded with hard evidence that he consulted various Bus/Coach companies and NONE of them could agree to lay on a number of motors for only 22 saturdays per year, one of the Companies even said that Saturdays they use many for Weddings and such like activities. The only form of Buses to be used (as it seemed to me) would be that in the form of a Park And Ride facility, not by just "upping" the usual bus numbers on certain routes for the proposed sites (including Falmer).

It was at this point the lovely secretary bird got up and wandered off to the powder room, her blonde/brownish hair in a pony tail swinging back and forth and back and forth..................aahh yes the Inquiry.
I also noticed the FPC Crew on the far side, one old dear was fast asleep with her head tilted right back over her chair, her bloke gave her a nudge and she awoke from her dream of feeding the ducks and elephants at Falmer Pond. I then too, like Easy, wished the Lanterns above would come crashing down...but alas they stayed put.

Then the Falmer "Expert" brought up a Map of Ashburton Grove (Arsenals new ground) with various coloured areas signifying Residential Parking Parameters or such like. It looked as though a 5year old had got loose with the crayons as Mr Lee could'nt make out a "Green Area" and the Inspector had to find it himself, eventually the Falmer bloke got onto the Parking and saying how it was going to work. Irelevant as Mr Lee pointed out that the Secretary Of State, in his letter, wanted answers on a 22,000 stadium NOT a 60,000+ stadium. Also that Arsenal would be able to afford the admin costs of £2.5m+ and various other aspects in getting a Parking Scheme of that nature underway, and that it was far too expensive each year for a 22,000 stadium to do.

Waterhall was then brought up with ping-pong match about the possibility of a station, the Falmer bloke reckoned it would cost about £5mil but Mr Lee had stated that he spoke to some Train Authority (forget the name, WSP or something) and that quote was miles off his of £30mil and that the main London-Brighton route would not withstand building an extra station for just 22odd saturdays a year and a few night games. The impact of that was too much and worthless is the way I read it all.

Then Walking to Waterhall, NIMBY bloke quotes its under 2miles from the nearest station (Preston Park).....in a straight line yes, but as Mr Lee pointed out, once you take into account walking routes (i.e. down proper roads and not through peoples houses) it goes well over 2miles. Obviously Falmer wins this area with the station being so close, then the argument of How to get to Waterhall by foot anyway, with just a small tunnel at one end and a dangerous A road either side!

"15% of the conurbtion could cycle to Waterhall" was the next side splitting comment from the NIMBY, again General Lee put him in his place saying thats a possiblity but how would they all fit through the tunnel!?! I just hope the Inspector or JP at best understand that a very very small percentage do actually cycle to matches, if not then this could go against us.
It seemed as though the NIMBY bloke had done his homework more thoroughly in Waterhalls case than Mr Lee had done, maybe we are concentrating on putting THV & Sheepcote down more realising that Waterhall and the two shorehamsites are just pointless addtions, who knows!?

It was at this point that just after an hour my brain began to cease up, after all the years of hating the NIMBYS and laughing at their arguments, all the anger thats vented up inside me - sitting there listening to their complete drivel - it all built up even more, and now having come away I feel even more hard done by, even more hatred than I ever have before.

But the best was saved for last, the NIMBY bloke said in relation to walking to Events "Football fans are not like other people" (or words to that effect) basically stating that we went further out of our way to go to games, yes True in some points but its the way he said it that made me just wanna crush his head like the mouldy grape of a brain he must have, many others around me also could'nt believe what they had just heard. I mean many of us go out of our way to get to work on time...does that make us any different from other people?!

He wanted another 30mins on the Cement Works & Airport sites but the Inspector called lunch.

I left with a feeling of hatred and anger that i have never felt before, its not like hating coldplay, its more than that, its more in the heart and soul - thinking my 2 year old godson might never get to see BHA if this never gets resolved - thinking of the look on my 75 year old grandads face as I tell him this weekend that the Stadium is still not closer...all he wants is a stadium to watch BHA in, its all we want too!

But after the brief trip I felt like Gillingham Fan walking into a Trailor Park - Excited and pleased with what i had just witnessed, because for me we won that hour at least. I shall return tomorrow and thursday so I hope you join me for more exciting tales form the darkest depths of Brighton Town Hall.

Any questions just shout, I'll remember to take a notepad & pen tomorrow!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Good work Crabbers.
Can't beleive they seem to be going on so much about cycling to the various sites. I mean who the f*** cycles to football matches?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
:clap: top bombing Crabbers, excellent update.

I cannot BELIEVE the nimbys are bringing Arsenals new ground to this inquiry....what the f*** has Ashburton Grove got to do with anything ? Their stadium is 3 times the size, and is on a brownfield site in a much more built up area. It bears no comparison to the Falmer planning application whatsoever, other than the fact that its a football ground. This kind of shit is just further muddying the waters. What next - will they bring the plans for the new Wembley along for us to peruse and discuss at length ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
that was the general Atmospheric feeling, why bring up Ashburton Grove at all, ok to compare but its completely irelevant to this whole Inquiry as its more than 2x the size of JPs 22,000 letter anyway!

As for the cycles, well like I said, lets just hope the Inspector and JP realise that too is irrelevant

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Easy 10 said:
:clap: top bombing Crabbers, excellent update.

I cannot BELIEVE the nimbys are bringing Arsenals new ground to this inquiry....what the f*** has Ashburton Grove got to do with anything ? Their stadium is 3 times the size, and is on a brownfield site in a much more built up area. It bears no comparison to the Falmer planning application whatsoever, other than the fact that its a football ground. This kind of shit is just further muddying the waters. What next - will they bring the plans for the new Wembley along for us to peruse and discuss at length ?

Thats what happens when some blinkered ignorant old person gets invovled in an inquiry that is way beyond their field of knowledge and experience. Expect more gems of NIMBY wisdom in the next few days. Prehaps our Mr Lee should ask FPC how many members of their parish cycle to Church or would be prepared to walk 2 miles.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
80's Seagull said:
Good work Crabbers.
Can't beleive they seem to be going on so much about cycling to the various sites. I mean who the f*** cycles to football matches?

Let's be brutally honest here-who the f*** cycles anywhere? The tory government put in thousands of miles of cycle lanes that have only succeeded in making loads of roads narrower than need be. Never, ever see any cyclists on the bloody lanes.

These wankers need to get into the real world of the 21st century-before I consider giving them all a f***ing good slapping!

Good job agent Crabbers

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The whole cycling thing should get blown out of the water once the true extent of support from outside of Brighton is taken into account.

I like a bike ride, but I don't think I'm up to a 90 mile round trip!!

(And if they then argue that because a lot of supporters aren't Brighton based then why do we need a stadium there? Then we just say 'Manchester United')

Last edited:

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
The overall level of cycling in the UK is 2% of all journeys. The Governement has abandoned its target of 6% - so, no planning enquiry is going to seriously consider figures of 11%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4240291.stm

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good work Scotjem. Tell Crabbers - he can pass this on tomorrow.

(I keep thinking your name is Scrotum. Sorry).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Large One said:
Agreed scotjem. There is no evidence aside from supposition and mere speculation to say that 15% (3,356 people) will ever cycle to a game.

I bet that if we took 15% of an average Withdean crowd-that number would be more than all of the people who cycle to all football matches on any given Saturday.

God I hate those NIMBYs more with every day that passes.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The other thing about Ashburton Grove, I believe, is that it is only a short distance from Highbury so the impact on the infrastructure and travel facilities already in place will be minimal, despite the slight increase in capacity.

This is really getting frustrating, how many clubs have built new stadia in the past 10 years, quite a few I reckon, but how many will have had to go through a planning process anything like we are facing?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gully said:

This is really getting frustrating, how many clubs have built new stadia in the past 10 years, quite a few I reckon, but how many will have had to go through a planning process anything like we are facing?

We're going through what we're having to go through because we have the country's whole allocation of anally retentive fuckwits on our doorstep.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Fair point Bwian, perhaps it is just that we have grown up in an area where the term "community" just means "me".

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Bwian said:
We're going through what we're having to go through because we have the country's whole allocation of anally retentive fuckwits on our doorstep.

You mean Guildford right?

;)

Incidentally, plans for a stadium here have been rejected. Shame, 'cos it'd only have been 5 minutes walk from my flat.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Re: Inquiry Update: An Hours Worth

CrabtreeBHA said:
Any questions just shout,
DID THE SEC COME BACK EVEN MORE GORGEOUS?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Inquiry Update: An Hours Worth

Everest said:
DID THE SEC COME BACK EVEN MORE GORGEOUS?

Yes! I was in the Gallery area so it was a view from a far but close enough to know what a beauty she is!
Could'nt hang about at lunch break either but I'll try to tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here