Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Tennant QUITS as Doctor Who

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | David Tennant quits as Doctor Who
David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh
David Tennant

His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

"And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

"That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

"I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

Drama award

Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

David Tennant and Catherine Tate
David Tennant beat co-star Catherine Tate at the National Television Awards

In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.

In a sign of his popularity, he was voted best drama performer in a public vote at the National Television Awards.

He has been named most popular actor at the same ceremony for the past two years. That prize has been discontinued this year.

An average of 8.1 million people a week watched the latest series - the fourth since it made a comeback in 2005 - in its Saturday evening slot on BBC One.

'Spectacular' exit

Mr Davies, executive producer, said: "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching."

David Tennant in Love's Labour's Lost
David Tennant has recently acted with the Royal Shakespeare Company

A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.

Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show after a 16-year break.

Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.

He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor Who would be Tennant's last.

He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old nonsense."

David%20Tennant%20Doctor%20Who%20TARDIS.jpg

I am ACTUALLY gutted! :nono:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just considering this. Bet Russel Brand is gutted now. He would have made a fantastic Dr Who!!!! :laugh:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Tennant's situation has mirrored Christiano Ronaldo's for some time - both going through the motions knowing that their future's lie elsewhere but making all the right noises for the fans, the Beeb and Man Ure respectively.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | David Tennant on Doctor Who exit

The huge question is - who would you like to replace you?

Well I've always been a big supporter of Wee Jimmy Krankie. So the campaign starts here to get Wee Jimmy Krankie in the Tardis and big Ian Krankie as the companion. I think that works.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Wasn't Jason Statham being tipped as the next Doctor?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
robert carlyle

david morrisey is in the christmas one entitled 'the next doctor' - could be leading up to his return for the next series

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
robert carlyle

david morrisey is in the christmas one entitled 'the next doctor' - could be leading up to his return for the next series

Haha!

Shame hes going as hes only the reason i sometimes watch it, will be a poor show without him.

Does this mean there wont be the usual series next year? And just the odd special?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suspect that the last six months playing Hamlet and Berowne has whetted Tennant's appetite for more stage work and he must have a fear of being typecast. Look at Tom Baker, he struggled to find work for years after being in Who

David Morrissey must be in the driving seat to replace him although I'd prefer an older doctor like we used to have. I've seen some calls for Bill Nighy, who'd be great, although my preference is for Charles Dance. Tennant will be a hard act to follow.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Alan Carr. With maybe someone really tough as his assistant. (in case those Daleks come back)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its a shame to lose Tennant, however it must be remembered that he is Scottish.
This also makes it harder for us pub quizzers as this now means an extra link in the chain....Hartnell,Troughton.. etc.. sigh.
I'd like to see John Simm get it.. he has a certain something ?

Or, as a weird twist, how about John Barrowman ( yes,also Scottish, I know:glare:) as The Doctor ?.. god knows the inside of the Tardis looks too Gothic at the moment and needs lightening up with some nice curtains, soft furnishings and some scatter cushions :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The last two series Tennant has started to irritate me with his EVERYTHINGS FANTASTIC acting and running around like a ten year old.

Eccleston brought some gravitas, that slightly detatched Alien. Tennant did at first but he is starting to grate, so personally I think he is making the right decision.

He has overall been a fine Doctor but the time is right to move on I think.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
char_clarke.jpg

He's the favourite for the job. Quite like the idea, though I haven't seen him in a huge amount other than Peep Show and that stupid Mitchell and Webb Sketch Numberwang!

I like the look of this guy:
300coupling_miles.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here