Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Nalbandian!!!!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Tennis needs a bad boy, Tiger Tim failed to follow through on his early promise when he nearly murdered a ball girl at Wimbledon in 95, Nalbandian being an Argie is clearly making a protest about the Falkland Islands by kicking the line judge to death today. At least I assume that's what happened given they disqualified him, it's like watching the WWF.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What an idiot, you don't see Nadal or Federer do that.

No, but Nadal got seriously pissed off in the French final and Federer threw away the 2009 US Open final by getting massively upset by late challenges from Del Potro, and then the Umpire in the chair telling him to be quiet. He lost his head completely, alright, he didn't kick anyone! But they're human. And I don't mind seeing it. Obviously, Nalbandian is a total tosser but with respect, he always has been. There was an incident in the Australian Open at 2-2 in sets and 8-8 in the fifth against John Isner (It's always Isner in those long matches!) where he was a break point up, but there was an overrule from the chair and he went a little bit potty. He didn't kick anyone, but he's got previous for being a hothead. And he's Argentinian.

Personally, I don't mind seeing passion in tennis but obviously this is too far and he deserved to be disqualified. A real shame for the fans, but it's not something they'll ever forget.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
But if someone kicks the ref and gets sent off, it doesn't end the game does it. I can sort of understand the crowd reaction tbh.

But that player would get sent off, just like nalbandian has been...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But if someone kicks the ref and gets sent off, it doesn't end the game does it. I can sort of understand the crowd reaction tbh.

To be honest though, if Nalbandian had been 'sent off' it wouldn't have left much of a game to bother continuing with.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Surely disqualification is a bit harsh? If you lose your rag in snooker for instance, the most you'll concede is a frame. Maybe lose the set in tennis would be fair. Instant disqualification is too much for me. Lose a set and a HUGE fine.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Surely disqualification is a bit harsh? If you lose your rag in snooker for instance, the most you'll concede is a frame. Maybe lose the set in tennis would be fair. Instant disqualification is too much for me. Lose a set and a HUGE fine.

most of the time what you described happens. players are given warnings, then docked a point and then a game. in this instance the offence was serious enough to be disqualified. it's very rare but i think the right penalty. When listening to his interview i'm glad the tosser did lose.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He explained what was funny.... I also laughed at his comedy style over reaction.

You're joking, right? ???

His reaction wasn't in any way comedy. Did you see his leg? Blood absolutely all over the show. How about this, how about we get [MENTION=3258]Da Man Clay[/MENTION] (no offence intended, of course) to kick you in the leg and we'll see your reaction? That would be comedy.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
For those that missed it, it was something like this

[yt]cGarkmEMmOQ[/yt]

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
bbc reporting that police are now investigating an assault on the line judge....
:eek:

Wikis definition of assault is

In law, assault is a crime which involves causing a victim to apprehend violence. The term is often confused with battery, which involves physical contact. The specific meaning of assault varies between countries, but can refer to an act that causes another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force.[1][2] Assault in some US jurisdictions[which?] is defined more broadly still as any intentional physical contact with another person without their consent; but in the majority of the United States, and in England and Wales and all other common law jurisdictions in the world, this is defined instead as battery. Some jurisdictions have incorporated the definition of civil assault into the definition of the crime making it a criminal assault to intentionally cause another person to apprehend a harmful or offensive contact.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, it clearly it wasn't assault - it was an unintentional accident. Clumsy and bad tempered, but an accident

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry, but the line judge's reaction had me in stitches, I swear he was about to start waving an imaginary yellow card!!

A big hole in his leg and blood pouring out, yep a total over reaction.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force.

So under the law he COULD be found guilty, but it is Unlikely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here