Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Cameron's excellent speech in MK

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody great. Hit the nail right on the head with just about everything he said. Shoe-in at the next election ...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What sections of Cameron's speech did you like?

Personally, I think there are a whole load of mechanisms that no government of the day should ever be deciding, such as:
a) The electoral system
b) When elections are
c) Who serves in the House of Lords

The reason is simply that a government of the day is likely to make decisions designed to serve its own party interest, rather than the good of the country.

In no part of his speech is he committing to a Conservative Government relinquishing any of those powers above. It shows how empty what he is saying actually is. To say he would 'seriously consider' fixed term parliaments doesn't actually say anything, and gives him the option to change his mind depending on what serves his party's interest, before and after an election.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Bloody great. Hit the nail right on the head with just about everything he said. Shoe-in at the next election ...

Thanks for that in-depth analysis Paxman!:bla:

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Hmm, David Cameron and his new look Tory party, reinvented more often than Status Quo have had farewell tours. Always had his finger on the pulse of the people though.;)

Attachments

• cameron2.bmp
    704.9 KB · Views: 382

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What sections of Cameron's speech did you like?

Personally, I think there are a whole load of mechanisms that no government of the day should ever be deciding, such as:
a) The electoral system
b) When elections are
c) Who serves in the House of Lords

The reason is simply that a government of the day is likely to make decisions designed to serve its own party interest, rather than the good of the country.

In no part of his speech is he committing to a Conservative Government relinquishing any of those powers above. It shows how empty what he is saying actually is. To say he would 'seriously consider' fixed term parliaments doesn't actually say anything, and gives him the option to change his mind depending on what serves his party's interest, before and after an election.

Exactly.

I read his article in the Guardian this morning and what he says makes a lot of sense until you realise that he makes no firm commitments on just about anything.

Cameron is a brilliant presenter but he's more slippery than an eel in a jar of vaseline. The only question is whether he'll get found out before the election.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly.

I read his article in the Guardian this morning and what he says makes a lot of sense until you realise that he makes no firm commitments on just about anything.

Cameron is a brilliant presenter but he's more slippery than an eel in a jar of vaseline. The only question is whether he'll get found out before the election.

Agree.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Nothing will change. Tories, Labour their all the bloody same. The only people that should be running this country is me and you.

We have heard this shit over and over again. Of course he is going to make all the right noises, he wants to be elected. When the tories come back to power, everything he just told you, won't happen.

Please don't forget what the Tories did to us last time, you have be warned!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Were there fewer Tory MPs milking the system than Labour? I doubt it.
Follow Brewsters' lead, vote for 'none of the above'.:ohmy:

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Is this a photo of the Spandau Ballet?

attachment.php

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
For those who hate Labour: the solution is NOT to vote Conservative. This country is in grave danger of sleepwalking into a nightmare four or eight years of divisive, destructive Tory rule, not because the party is presenting a credible alternative agenda, but because people just want to punish Brown & Co.

Use your vote positively - not as a reaction to something you dislike. I'm voting Green in the Euros.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Read any of the leaflets coming through your door and you would want to vote for all of them........cutting through the fact/fiction and spin is the problem.....we don't know who is telling the truth and how much is lip service. It actually makes it an impossible job for the electorate....I don't know the answer to the problem because it's all the fog of war. The ONLY politician I have heard talk any sense in recent years, or ever, is Vince Cable.....but that still does not give me enough encouragement to vote for anyone

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Time for the Seagull Party to reform methinks.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
For those who hate Labour: the solution is NOT to vote Conservative. This country is in grave danger of sleepwalking into a nightmare four or eight years of divisive, destructive Tory rule, not because the party is presenting a credible alternative agenda, but because people just want to punish Brown & Co.

Use your vote positively - not as a reaction to something you dislike. I'm voting Green in the Euros.
Im afraid that your tactics are flawed let me explain, In the vast majority of cases the only type of voter not to vote Tory but hate this current administration would have voted Labour in the last couple of elections so they spread their votes accross the many alternatives including the none of the above party ect giving the Tories an even bigger majority, it happened in 97 and will happen again MMW.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here