Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke OUT!!!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We had been after Ulloa before Burke joined us.

I could be wrong but I thought Burke's signings took over before last season winter transfer window, and may have had a hand in the negotiations with Ulloa but we'd tried to sign him at the beginning of the season.
Stephenson (Burkes predecessor ) it was that first spotted and tried to sign him, but at the time Ulloa did not have a Spanish passport to allow him to play in the UK.,

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Would that still be true if, for example, Oscar's list contained only unrealistic targets and was presented so late it provided no opportunity to work with it?

Or what about, for example, if the club said "We can get you Craig Conway" and Oscar said "No thanks"?

Both hypothetical, obviously...

No it wouldn't be true if he only wanted unrealistic targets with no time, and I don't know all the facts, although I think it said in the paper that these targets were provided pre-season. I would just expect that there would be a real effort to give a manager the players he asks for, for lots of reasons, both footballing and non-footballing.

If we provided none of those players because they were all unrealistic, then fine. But I am fearing that we don't consider it so important that a manager has the players that he wants. I fear that someone at the club thinks they have developed some kind of scientific formula for player recruitment, which completely circumvents the manager. I can see the temptation to try something like that but, again for both footballing and non-footballing reasons, I think it's a bad idea.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would that still be true if, for example, Oscar's list contained only unrealistic targets and was presented so late it provided no opportunity to work with it?

Or what about, for example, if the club said "We can get you Craig Conway" and Oscar said "No thanks"?

Both hypothetical, obviously...

We really needed a striker in January when Barnes left. Were any strikers offered to Oscar at that time, that he chose not to sign?

Hypothetically, of course.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I may well have misread that.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What do people think Tony would do upon 'getting rid of Burke'?

For the hard of thinking, I'll answer:-

Tony will employ someone else to perform the job, currently held by Burke.

Changing the name on the office door will make no difference to how the club is run.

The role is an essential one - the financials of the modern game are such that its a full time job to look after a scouting network, agent discussions, player negotiations, etc etc. NO manager can be expected to handle this and coach and manage anymore.

The question for me is how good was the Burke/Garcia relationship (poor?) and whether Burke will work better with a different manager or whether Burke is the problem?

Garcia spoke f*ck all English when he arrived and only slightly more now. How is Burke's Espanol? How did Garcia communicate his wants/needs with Burke? How did Burke communicate the realities of available players to Garcia?

I work in the European HQ of a large company and deal with 43 EMEA countries on a daily basis. Google Translate is essential but doesn't always work that well. If I deal with managers whose English isn't great, its a nightmare because I'm cr*p at languages!

Personally I am convinced that a DoF is essential in a modern club, but who they actually work for needs to change (manager NOT chairman).

As a business model I see this as a role that a manager should bring with him as part of his team, so when you get a manager, you get his assistant coach plus 1 or 2 others and his own DoF to handle to paperwork.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think we need a manager who is and feels empowered. Helps the manager, helps the players, helps everyone.

Anything else is too messy.

I don't mean no budget, I just mean choice in how it is spent.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
The role is an essential one - the financials of the modern game are such that its a full time job to look after a scouting network, agent discussions, player negotiations, etc etc. NO manager can be expected to handle this and coach and manage anymore.

The question for me is how good was the Burke/Garcia relationship (poor?) and whether Burke will work better with a different manager or whether Burke is the problem?

Garcia spoke f*ck all English when he arrived and only slightly more now. How is Burke's Espanol? How did Garcia communicate his wants/needs with Burke? How did Burke communicate the realities of available players to Garcia?

I work in the European HQ of a large company and deal with 43 EMEA countries on a daily basis. Google Translate is essential but doesn't always work that well. If I deal with managers whose English isn't great, its a nightmare because I'm cr*p at languages!

Personally I am convinced that a DoF is essential in a modern club, but who they actually work for needs to change (manager NOT chairman).

As a business model I see this as a role that a manager should bring with him as part of his team, so when you get a manager, you get his assistant coach plus 1 or 2 others and his own DoF to handle to paperwork.

Wasnt that the point of Jones as assistant coach - speaks spanish ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We really needed a striker in January when Barnes left. Were any strikers offered to Oscar at that time, that he chose not to sign?

Hypothetically, of course.

With the budget restraints I think there was only one striker offered to Oscar by Burke but the club got stitched up by the agent.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011

This sounds a very sensible way of working to me.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
With the budget restraints I think there was only one striker offered to Oscar by Burke but the club got stitched up by the agent.
Or rather as Naylors article suggests, the club took too long in negotiating (trying to get him on the cheap), the agent knew Bmuff
Would even pay more than what we offered and he went back to Bmuff. So very frustrating for Oscar. It's a mess.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What do people think Tony would do upon 'getting rid of Burke'?

For the hard of thinking, I'll answer:-

Tony will employ someone else to perform the job, currently held by Burke.

Changing the name on the office door will make no difference to how the club is run.

Changing who the DoF reports to will make a difference though. The Director of Football, or anything else you want to call them, should be answerable to the manager not the board.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Or rather as Naylors article suggests, the club took too long in negotiating (trying to get him on the cheap), the agent knew Bmuff
Would even pay more than what we offered and he went back to Bmuff. So very frustrating for Oscar. It's a mess.

We got played by the agent , simples , however long the negotiations went on he knew Bournemouth would better it by offsetting with a longer deal and altering the minimum asking price in the contract to £3M.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I understand a number of (decent Premier League) strikers were turned down by Oscar.

Did Oscar think they were all of a similar quality to Lita and Obika ?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We got played by the agent , simples , however long the negotiations went on he knew Bournemouth would better it by offsetting with a longer deal and altering the minimum asking price in the contract to £3M.

Could the Albion not match that then? This is my point, every agent is gonna try to get the best deal, Burke should be prepared for this. I mean if Burke did get 'played' then that's not a very encouraging sign or a vote of confidence. Grabban had a medical, I mean you get the player to sign at that point, or negotiate better with the player and agent. I mean if we are losing out to Bournemouth because an agent out smarted Burke then what hope do we have?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Burke is responsible for:

Player and transfer negotiation.
Player budget
Player audits
Scouting and recruitment
Performance analysis"
The Academy and player development
Player support services, education, welfare and liaison
Kit management,
Women and girls elite football

It's too much. No wonder he's cocked up!

I am therefore volunteering Mrs FOSEAGULL to take over ... Kit Management. I've promised her a new iron !

I, trying to do my bit, will begrudgingly accept responsibility for ... Women and Girls elite football. :whistle:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Having spoken to his agent on the train back from Forest, I'm pretty confident we weren't played by him at all. He was desperate for Grabban to come to the Albion as a better move for him. "Why would he want to stay at Bournemouth when he could play at the Amex?" were the sort of phrases bandied about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here