Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Dave Edmonds played a member of a the Stray Cats in the David Essex romp Stardust. Keith Moon and future Blue Peter presenter Peter Duncan were band members too. Anyway…

Love Girls Talk and Cruel to be kind, not really that aware of much else beyond a few other singles in the late 70s

No mention of Dr Feelgood? I would have loved to see the original line up live but never did. Saw Wilko live quite a few times but vocally he was not great. He did some tracks with Roger Daltrey on vocals which are worth a listen.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The Feelgoods were great, although by the time I got to see them Wilko had moved on.
Think I saw Dave Edmunds' Rockpile do a uni gig in Cardiff back in 80/81.
Jesus of Cool was a permanent fixture on my turntable around that time, but I didn't get to see him until he did a gig quite recently at TOM.
Another of my favourites who tended to get dismissed as pub rock was Graham Parker & The Rumour - always delivered a great show and the fella's written some top notch songs over his pretty prolific career. Was great to see him still on good form a couple of years back at The Ropetackle in Shoreham.
Here he is in his pomp back in 1978, delivering a nice punchy version of New York Shuffle ...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Opinions, innit. I never liked the sound of his voice anyway, and I wouldn't even give house room to his turgid version over Edmund's. Knew a few people doing backstage work in the 70s/early 80s - some artistes were great and treated them really well; EC wasn't one of them (though not in the Chuck Berry class - nobody was!)
So, what you actually meant was 'I don't like Elvis Costello'.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Saw U2 at the Top Rank Suite March 1983, it was actually Adam Clayton’s birthday that day I seem to recall Bono sang him Happy Birthday.

Pembury Seagull

Mar 4, 2017
On The Edge of Town
First ever concert for me was Edmunds and Lowe (and Billy Bremner and Terry Williams) - Rockpile at Hammersmith Palais in 1979. Set in place a love of live music - they were excellent.

As were the support act, The Specials.

Saw Rockpile several more times before their early demise….

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dave Edmonds played a member of a the Stray Cats in the David Essex romp Stardust. Keith Moon and future Blue Peter presenter Peter Duncan were band members too. Anyway…

Love Girls Talk and Cruel to be kind, not really that aware of much else beyond a few other singles in the late 70s
The other member of the Stardust Stray Cats was Karl Howman, later Jacko in 'Brush Strokes'. In Tony Fletcher's Keith Moon biography Howman explains that the director wanted to create the plot's distance between David Essex's character and the rest of the band by setting up the actors playing the group in the pub for long periods without Essex. Howman found himself in the pub with Edmunds and Keith Moon. Funny to think that future chief scout Peter Duncan was with them.

Coincidentally Dave later also played with the US Stray Cats, covering this old George Jones banger:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
About 25+ years ago, when I was working in London, there was a girl I sat opposite for about a year or so. She was lovely - great fun, talented designer, teeny bit posh but in a nice way. Used to tease her about the sheer volume of names she had: Peta Jane Cecilia Louise Waddington, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, several years later, me and some other ex-colleagues were reminiscing about those days and its various people, and when we Googled her, we found out she’d ended up… marrying Nick Lowe! 😀

IMG_0933.jpeg

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Cruel to be Kind/Girls Talk and many others just always seem to have been under the Radar and if so why is that ? For myself cracking players and would have liked to see them play a smallish venue ,have you ?
Yes. Saw them together twice at the Top Rank back in the late 70s (maybe early 80s) under the name Rockpile. They were absolutely and utterly brilliant, I would still rank them as among the best gigs I ever attended.

Not sure if they fell out or not, because I don't think they've toured together since. Also I'm not sure I'd want to see them again; want to keep the memories intact.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No mention of Dr Feelgood? I would have loved to see the original line up live but never did. Saw Wilko live quite a few times but vocally he was not great. He did some tracks with Roger Daltrey on vocals which are worth a listen.

Nearly 35 years ago we supported them on a few gigs on this tour (sadly long after Wilko had gone). On the first night, we got an encore, Lee Brilleaux came through to our dressing room and thanked us for a 'great set' and we were feeling really pleased with ourselves.

They then went on, opened with this and blew us off the stage within 12 bars :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here