Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Seen Nick Lowe a couple of times and always did a great set…my favourites of his being (What’s so funny about ) peace, love and understanding and American Squirm.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And just to round off with the actual subjects of the thread, Nick Lowe is from Surrey and Dave Edmunds is welsh. All round, a superb analysis :lolol:
I don't think Uriah Heep were Brummies either. Weren't they were from London? Judas Priest were the Brummies.

Incidentally, as far as I'm concerned, 'Greatest Living Englishman' Nick Lowe will never not be cool. How could he not be? He was Johnny Cash's son in law!

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
After Ian Dury popped his clogs, the first gig the BLockheads did a year or so later was @ the Concorde, WE sung a track or two, as did Phil Jupitus, MArk Lamar and others. . .

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Going to see Wreckless Eric in Walthamstow on Thursday, might be a talk - not sure. When he was sound man at the Freebutt I managed to get a couple of evenings of chat out of him. Not sure it was what he wanted.
Local boy is Mr Goulden, born in Newhaven, grew up in Peacehaven, went to Lewes Grammar School. His autobiography is a great read:

1718487911960.png

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
....and boy! Wasn't the cover version an improvement!
No. As with Robert Wyatt and 'Shipbuilding', although Elvis wrote the song, he gave it to a colleague. Dave Edmunds' version was recorded first, so wasn't a cover version.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Have a feeling I saw Brinsley Schwarz at 'The Richmond'. Saw him & Bob Andrews on stage with Graham Parker on a few occasions. Wish I'd seen Dave Edmunds. Some of his singles were great.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. As with Robert Wyatt and 'Shipbuilding', although Elvis wrote the song, he gave it to a colleague. Dave Edmunds' version was recorded first, so wasn't a cover version.
The Elvis Costello version was still crap though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Elvis Costello version was still crap though.
Nope. For me, nothing Elvis has done has ever been crap. His version is less radio friendly than Edmunds'. It's more angry, in line with his persona at the time, but it's nicely soul inflected and has some classic Steve Naive crashing Abba influenced piano chord sequences on it. It's in the style of Northern Soul influenced stuff that he was doing at that time, like 'High Fidelity' and his covers of Sam & Dave's 'I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down' and Betty Everett's 'Getting Mighty Crowded'.

The Attractions were a machine at that time, motoring through every brilliant song that he came up with at full speed. Fantastic stuff. I do like Dave Edmunds version too, but I liked 'Queen of Hearts' even more.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Roy Wood was ground breaking and I think the make up etc was to hide shyness possibly.
I saw him do a one man show in Folkstone decades ago, where he played about 40 instruments, was spellbinding.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Just not cool, perhaps? That seemed to be the fate of quite a few Birmingham? Black Country bands: Roy Wood - good guitarist, just about OK singer, always looked a bit of a clown; Moody Blues - oved their music, but they so looked lied a bunch of nice young men, cravats, ties, smart shirts - not your average typical rock band; Jeff Lynne - held up by many as an excellent musician, but was he ever that exciting, dynamic? Dave and Nick - probably in the same boat (though Jesus of Cool was an amazing album); Uriah Heap, heavy, but frequently objects of derision from anybody not actually a fan.
There were exceptions, of course - Black Sabbath and Led Zep immediately come to mind.
Perhaps the answer is it's just very difficult to be a Brummie and cool!
Spencer Davies group? I always thought Steve Winwood was very cool and he can sing a bit and play a few instruments. Cracking the top 10 at 16 in the early 60’s was also pretty cool :smile:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nope. For me, nothing Elvis has done has ever been crap. His version is less radio friendly than Edmunds'. It's more angry, in line with his persona at the time, but it's nicely soul inflected and has some classic Steve Naive crashing Abba influenced piano chord sequences on it. It's in the style of Northern Soul influenced stuff that he was doing at that time, like 'High Fidelity' and his covers of Sam & Dave's 'I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down' and Betty Everett's 'Getting Mighty Crowded'.

The Attractions were a machine at that time, motoring through every brilliant song that he came up with at full speed. Fantastic stuff. I do like Dave Edmunds version too, but I liked 'Queen of Hearts' even more.

Opinions, innit. I never liked the sound of his voice anyway, and I wouldn't even give house room to his turgid version over Edmund's. Knew a few people doing backstage work in the 70s/early 80s - some artistes were great and treated them really well; EC wasn't one of them (though not in the Chuck Berry class - nobody was!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here