Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Maybe, I dunno. To me it just seems like us bringing in a club-record signing like Núñez and letting a fringe player go like Andone aren't really that intertwined with eachother.

You see my thinking was with Andone following AJ outbound, we are left with Welbeck, Maupay, Connolly and Zeqiri as our main attack. Zeqiri isn't yet ready/trusted by Potts, Connolly is desperately in need of a good loan.
Welbeck I think we can all agree we will lose through injury something like 20% of the season if not more. Really think Neal will have a cracking season but if he gets injured that's a big risk to our progress and sods law says it would be when Welb's is out to. Andone, not that I like or admire could have covered for 4 to 6 games.
so that's why I concluded someone is inbound very soon - and I don't think it will be Nunez. He will be later. :clap2:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As much as I'd like to believe this, in 2019 we shipped Andone off without a replacement, and since then we've lost Murray but added Zeqiri and Welbeck, as well as Connolly coming onto the fold. So although we know the club are probably working on bringing a new forward in, I don't think that hinges on Andone's departure.
100% sure it doesn't!

If Nunez is €40m euros - surely we should look at Schick too?
If Nunez is €40m euros - surely we should look at Schick INSTEAD? - that should surely be the question. Schick - or anybody else that Benfica aren't trying to take the michael about.
This 'will he, won't he, can we, can't we, will they sell, won't they' is beginning to feel like Callieri mk II - or even Jahanbakhsh mk II - we all know how much that error cost us, and all neatly fit into the 'walk away now' category (or should).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not one of the players you listed is a striker, not one.

Oh right, I get it - you think in labels - if he's not a "striker" he can't do a job in a front three! Moder, Mac Allister and Trossard are all attacking players - perhaps if you think about it that will be enough of a label for you - or it should be. They all have an eye for goal, and would be a potentially good attacking combination.
Oh, and by the way, one of the players I mentioned in my post was Maupay. You do consent to him being labelled a striker, I take it?

Last edited:

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
The three players you listed managed 6 goals from open play last season. The two fit strikers we have managed two goals between them. On a football forum it’s perfectly understandable that people question that situation. That doesn’t mean we don’t recognise the tremendous progress the club has made on and off the field, the efforts of the recruitment team and the level of investment Tony Bloom has put in.

People like you? What do you propose we do differently? Buy a striker to appease your needs, with money that has no consequence to you but huge consequences to the club and its brilliant owner. Let’s just buy for the sake of it, shall we?

You’re welcome to question that situation but, with all due respect, I trust the hugely qualified professionals running our club over you. So let’s back off on this subject, please. It’s endlessly boring and deflects from the huge progress we’re making.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Oh right, I get it - you think in labels - if he's not a "striker" he can't do a job in a front three! Moder, Mac Allister and Trossard are all attacking players - perhaps if you think about it that will be enough of a label for you - or it should be. They all have an eye for goal, and would be a potentially good attacking combination.
Oh, and by the way, one of the players I mentioned in my post was Maupay. You do consent to him being labelled a striker, I take it?

No I think in terms of players who regularly score goals, Moder has never scored for us, Mac Alister and Trossard managed 6 leagues goals between them last season. There is no evidence that they can score enough goals to compensate for the loss of Maupay and Welbeck.

You mentioned Maupay who is of course a striker but given my entire posting on this thread has been about how we cope in his absence obviously I wasn’t considering him when discussing options to replace him!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Benfica watch:

OUT:

CONFIRMED OUTPUT FROM WALDSCHMIDT TO GERMANY FOR 12 MILLION
BENFICA 08-22-2021 14:56
By Writing
Benfica confirmed this Sunday that it reached an agreement with Wolfsburg to sell the sports rights of Luca Waldschmidt for 12 million euros.

IN:

NEMANJA RADONJIC CONFIRMED BY THE EAGLES
BENFICA 08-22-2021 23:23
By Writing
Nemanja Radonjic is Benfica's reinforcement. The reds confirmed the hiring of the 25-year-old Serbian winger. Radonjic arrives on loan from Marseille, with the eagles paying a ceding fee, with the option to purchase the pass that becomes mandatory if Radonjic plays a certain number of games.

Current Benfica forwards/wingers:

Sefervoic (star at the Euros)
Vinícius (ex-Spurs loan)
Yaremchuk (star at the Euros)
Ramos (labelled the next Messi by Benfica)
Pinho (new striker signing)
Radonjic (new winger signing)
Jota (winger)
Núñez (still)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Naylor says a well-placed source has cast doubt over the prospects of completing a deal for Nunez and that there’s more chance of Cucurella arriving although that's complicated as well.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Naylor says a well-placed source has cast doubt over the prospects of completing a deal for Nunez and that there’s more chance of Cucurella arriving although that's complicated as well.
Where has he said that ?

He said benfica are reluctant to sell. Nothing about a well placed source !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
77A74947-827B-46D1-B490-18C6017C6BD4.png

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Is it really complicated or are we just fannying around and trying to do things on the cheap?

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to spend other peoples money, but an unwillingness to pay the going rate seems to be a bit of a trend here.

If we sign Nunez, and he helps us finish two places higher than last season, that's an additional £4 million in the kitty.

Maybe it's just frustration, but we do seem to get involved in long-drawn out sagas don't we?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it really complicated or are we just fannying around and trying to do things on the cheap?

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to spend other peoples money, but an unwillingness to pay the going rate seems to be a bit of a trend here.

If we sign Nunez, and he helps us finish two places higher than last season, that's an additional £4 million in the kitty.

Maybe it's just frustration, but we do seem to get involved in long-drawn out sagas don't we?

I'll Eden a guess there's so many moving parts, these contracts are weighty tomes, that all parties have to work hard to get the ducks in a row.
Which must be made so much harder when dealing with a continental club who think (correctly) and he helps you finish two places higher than last season, that's an additional £4 million in the kitty.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

If we merrily paid the asking price for every transfer target we'd soon go bust.

Benfica may well need cash more than we need the player, so why not squeeze them for every penny?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Benfica & Gatefe both have replacements for the two players we are after so that is certainly not the issue.

Both clubs seem to want to keep hold of the respective players although the club will know that the players want to come to us.

Both clubs will have seen the £50m we got from White so want more than our valuations/offers.

At some point (next week), we’ll need to pop in the final offers. I don’t think we’re in a rush as neither player would be likely to be thrown in prior to the international break. I’m pretty sure Benfica would love another big pay day and we can simply pay the buy-out clause with Gatefe.

An interesting week or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here