Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darrell Hair to sue ICC for racial discrimination

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Buzzer said:
*sigh* it's a wind-up innit!

No - I don't conside that a wind up, its just plain rude.

and as for your post above, the match was forfeited when the bails came off - thats the rules, Muralitharan's action was deemed ok due to a congenital elbow deformation giving the optical illusion of throwing... and as for the £500k, as far as I was aware the ICC was in negotiations with him before the email was leaked, and denied the whole thing thereafter,throwing Hair right in the crap...I'd want £500k if the rest of my career was at stake too!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Buzzer said:
Other umpires don't have a problem with the Pakistanis and Sri Lankans. As I recall , Muri's throwing action has been analysed and cleared by an Aussie University.

The doosra was found to require a 14 degree straightening of the arm, and the rules were then amended to make anything up to 15 degrees (previous 5 degrees) legal.

Basically, Hair was brave enough to call it how he - and the vast majority of everyone watching - saw it. Have you ever read Nasser Hussain's book, "Playing With Fire"? the bit on the tour to Sri Lanka was excellent, put it this way, the players were less than pleased to be getting out to deliveries that they called all clearly see was illegal (the 15 degree rule change hadn't been brought in at that time) but no umpire was calling it.

Why were they not calling it? Because after Hair had done so, and the Sri Lankans had reacted in a similar way to Inzy last summer, the ICC decided that decisions on chucking were to be made "outside of the actual game" and umpires had to report cases, which were then reviewed. Hmm, that wasn't doing the batsmen much good who were facing it.

Hair tried to stand up to the biased rule-makers, and was trying to restore some law and order to the game, whereby chuckers were called for no-balls, and where the umpire suspected ball-tampering the ball was changed and 5 runs awarded. I'm absolutely sure he acted in good faith, and the point for me is that cricket is all about accepting the umpires decision.

Whereas footballers swear blue murder at refs, a batsman will be fined a chunk of his match fee for dissent, when raising his eye-brows at being given out. If that's how crciket conducts itself, I don't see that Hair had any choice other than to give the game as a forfeit when Pakistan twice refused to play ball.

Certainly once he'd made the decision, I can't see how he could possibly have been expected to reverse the decision afterwards when Pakistan were belatedly (after co-ersion from the PCB no doubt) wanted to play.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
tedebear said:
No - I don't conside that a wind up, its just plain rude.

And to think you come from the country that gives us the world's greatest sledgers. You really are a touchy lot aren't you?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Buzzer said:
After an exhaustive inquest was Inzamam found guilty or not guilty of ball-tampering?

Irrelevant. That is the process by which Inzy should have looked to clear his name and that of his team, and NOT by staging a mass sit-in.

The umpire orders the ball to be changed and 5 runs awarded if "he suspects that the ball has been tampered with."

It would be completely unworkable if he could only take that action once he has amassed sufficient evidence to ensure that the accusation will stand up. he acts on his opinion, just as he does on catches, lbw decisions, warnings for running on the pitch etc.

The players MUST accept the decision, and make their appeal - if it's a matter such as this that can be appealed - after the event to the match referee.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Buzzer said:
And to think you come from the country that gives us the world's greatest sledgers. You really are a touchy lot aren't you?

You tell me I'd treat an Aboriginal differently implying I'm racist, and then when I get annoyed you call me touchy? bloody hell mate - you're backtracking faster than a flaming goanna with no front legs!!

Sledging is one thing, baiting for racism is another...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was the correct decision to abandon the game, due to the legislation. However, I feel that common sense should come into play.

Inzaman and his team mates were accused of ball tampering (ergo - cheating). I don't think it is as simple as to accept the 5 run penalty and get on with the match. I don't know how anyone else would feel, but if my team was accused of cheating in front of millions of people, then I would be pretty pissed off with the proceedings.

Without conclusive proof, the umpire should not be able to change a match on a whim.

Having said that, I am not particularly keen on Darrell Hair.

Barrel of Fun said:
Inzaman and his team mates were accused of ball tampering (ergo - cheating). I don't think it is as simple as to accept the 5 run penalty and get on with the match. I don't know how anyone else would feel, but if my team was accused of cheating in front of millions of people, then I would be pretty pissed off with the proceedings.

Without conclusive proof, the umpire should not be able to change a match on a whim.

Of course they were entitled to feel angry/annoyed, but you must still adhere to the rules of the game. There are lines of appeal under these circumstances which could have been followed up, but rather than take the moral high ground by carrying on the game and later being proved innocent, they refused to play, moped around sulking, and then attempted to take the moral high ground after acting like a bunch of kids!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
tedebear said:
You tell me I'd treat an Aboriginal differently implying I'm racist, and then when I get annoyed you call me touchy? bloody hell mate - you're backtracking faster than a flaming goanna with no front legs!!

Sledging is one thing, baiting for racism is another...

I'm not backtracking at all and I'm certainly not annoyed at you getting riled. I'm quite amused that an Englishman can finally outsledge an Aussie.

Let me spell it out - Darryl Hair is bringing a racism suit. You Aussies are backing him. I imply that you wouldn't be so supportive if he was drak-skinned BUT, AND THIS IS THE KILLER, I use the words 'stinking abo'. Surely, surely that would be a hint that I was being ironic - or else I too would be guilty of racism.

Stop being so precious about a f***ing joke.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
*takes flounceometer out of pocket*
*taps side*
*replaces batteries flattened by recent heavy use*
*needle starts twitching*

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
sten_super said:
Of course they were entitled to feel angry/annoyed, but you must still adhere to the rules of the game. There are lines of appeal under these circumstances which could have been followed up, but rather than take the moral high ground by carrying on the game and later being proved innocent, they refused to play, moped around sulking, and then attempted to take the moral high ground after acting like a bunch of kids!

That was my initial feeling, but I just feel that they were insulted and rightly annoyed by the accusations. They did attempt to take the field, albeit too late.

Remember Gatting vs Shakoor? Gatting was offering to apologise so that the test could continue, but Shakoor wanted an apology for the cheating jibe.

I feel there has to be some sort of flexibility in the rules (timeouts) as different characters are going to take accusations of cheating very differently.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Buzzer said:
I'm not backtracking at all and I'm certainly not annoyed at you getting riled. I'm quite amused that an Englishman can finally outsledge an Aussie.

Let me spell it out - Darryl Hair is bringing a racism suit. You Aussies are backing him. I imply that you wouldn't be so supportive if he was drak-skinned BUT, AND THIS IS THE KILLER, I use the words 'stinking abo'. Surely, surely that would be a hint that I was being ironic - or else I too would be guilty of racism.

Stop being so precious about a f***ing joke.

Thats what you call sledging? Don't make me laugh... You had no smilies, no winks, nothing to lead me to believe you were joking. So I reacted as such and justifiably.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
tedebear said:
Thats what you call sledging? Don't make me laugh... You had no smilies, no winks, nothing to lead me to believe you were joking. So I reacted as such and justifiably.

Sorry - forgot you aussies are so f***ing thick that you only get jokes if they come driven on an articulated lorry driven by Kevin Bloody Wilson and with the words "OY AUSSIES THIS IS A JOKE" in 15 foot high letters and the Wiggles, Bananas in Pyjamas and Hi-5 leading them in khaki outback clothing which if you were in a plane you would see that the formation they are making actually spells out the words "he's being ironic", all the while a video on loop is being shown with Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe acting out the joke through the medium of rugby and lager and Rolf Harris at the back asking "Can you guess what it is yet?"

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Buzzer said:
Sorry - forgot you aussies are so f***ing thick that you only get jokes if they come driven on an articulated lorry driven by Kevin Bloody Wilson and with the words "OY AUSSIES THIS IS A JOKE" in 15 foot high letters and the Wiggles, Bananas in Pyjamas and Hi-5 leading them in khaki outback clothing which if you were in a plane you would see that the formation they are making actually spells out the words "he's being ironic", all the while a video on loop is being shown with Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe acting out the joke through the medium of rugby and lager and Rolf Harris at the back asking "Can you guess what it is yet?"

Its not me who looks thick now mate!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The following is intended to be a humorous riposte. In no way does it intend to imply that Aussies would ever, ever engage in discrimination of a racial nature. It is merely a device with which to bait stroppy Aussies.:

You aussies wouldn't be so supportive of Hare if he was a stinking abo though would ya? :)

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Man of Harveys said:
So is there anyone NOT Australian willing to stick up for the weird and incompetent old Australian racist weirdo?

:wave:

I can't see that he's done much wrong. His demand of $500,000 dollars to go away was unsavoury, but otherwise he's just made some calls which haven't been popular with the teams they were given against.

He called Murali for being a chucker. Which he is.

He called Pakistan for ball tampering. Now we never got any conclusive proof either way, but the England players complained about the ball and Hair thought that some damage on the ball could only have occurred thorugh tampering. The key point here is that the forgotten man of the test, Billy Doctrove, agreed. I don't see Billy Doctrove being crucified for this.

As for the Pakistani refusal to play, Hair applied the rules and abandoned the game. Whatever you think they should have done, it's hard to have a go at anyone simply applying the rules.

The sub-continent teams have always had a bee in their bonnet about Hair, despite little evidence that he makes more poor decisions against them than against anyone else. This was their opportunity to get rid of him. And they did it. A dangerous precedent I would say.

I don't like Hair, but the labeling of him as a racist is just a joke.

Buzzer said:

I think you've got some Aussie issues you need to work out...

It wasn't particularly clear it was a joke, and it certainly wasn't funny, and you haven't got any funnier since. I'd just let it die now...

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Buzzer said:
The following is intended to be a humorous riposte. In no way does it intend to imply that Aussies would ever, ever engage in discrimination of a racial nature. It is merely a device with which to bait stroppy Aussies.:

You aussies wouldn't be so supportive of Hare if he was a stinking abo though would ya? :)

DROP IT. You are wrong and more importantly, it's not funny. There are lots of amusing ways to bait Australians (and vice versa), but racist accusations, whether you belive them or not, is not one of them.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Buzzer said:

Hmm, no! Even with the smilie, it's still just fecking rude, and not really much of a sledge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here