Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dark, disturbing but great films

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
My own personal favourite is Festen. Finally got a copy of the DVD and looking froward to watching it again over the weekend. Probably the King of the Gogme films and as gripping and disturbing a story of repressed family sex abuse as you'll ever see.

Another top shout. Fantastic but utterly unsettling family drama.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Oh and two more:

The Nazi youth singing scene from Cabaret....darkly powerful

And

Blue Velvet (surprised not mentioned already)....Dennis Hopper's monstrous character Frank is undoubtedly one of the darkest presences in cinema history.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Oh and two more:

The Nazi youth singing scene from Cabaret....darkly powerful

And

Blue Velvet (surprised not mentioned already)....Dennis Hopper's monstrous character Frank is undoubtedly one of the darkest presences in cinema history.

Blue Velvet is indeed immense, as is Mulholland Drive but neither (other than for Frank Booth) are anywhere near as creepy as Erasehead. Halfway through Blue Velvet my ex-wife, not alone in doing so, walked out of the cinema - I left her waiting outside until it had finished, writing was on the wall really.....

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Halfway through Blue Velvet my ex-wife, not alone in doing so, walked out of the cinema - I left her waiting outside until it had finished, writing was on the wall really.....

Blimey! (I would have done the same!!)

Oh yes, what about the creepy guy in Lost Highway? He was something else.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Got to be Threads for me.Nuclear attack and the aftermath.Very powerful film.
Failing that,the 1983 F.A.Cup Final replay video that I have got at home!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Most disturbing scene for me has to go to the rape scene in Irreversible. Having interviewed rape victims I know that It's 100% accurate as a portrayal of rape. The level of violence and fear are amazingly portrayed by the actors. The actress allegedly cried for days after filming it.

Oct 2, 2008
At the time it came out I thought Scum was an extremely violent and disturbing film. Seems pretty tame compared with some of the stuff out there these days though.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
The Saw series? Though the first one was the best as it was a total mind f*** at the time. The rest just turned into "Lets see how gory we can get"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here