Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Wilson At Swinedon

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I thought I heard they had planning permission to rebuild/put a roof on the away stand behind the goal? But then if they did I suppose with their money they would just get on and do it. Bizarre, I don't get that club...

From what I have been told the planning permission for the county ground HAS NOT BEEN SUBMITTED, problem being the ground is council owned and the council are not sure it can be redeveloped.

The plan is for the away end to be turned into a hotel and executive boxes,
The Town end ( small covered stand) will be built up the same as the other 2 stands, There is even thought to rotate the pitch 90 degrees so the corporate boxes are along one side.

In the open planning display they quoted as saying it would be like a mini Reabok Stadium.

They are proud of the fact the food and drink outlets have been improved and they have installed a few widescreen tv's to watch sky sports news on, BUT that dont make it a championship ground or make the team better.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
blimey there has been some shite spouted on this thread......

firstly i cant see how you can overachieve over 46 games, a cup run maybe but 46 games.

as for the recent performances, something is definately not right, tuesday was f***ing dreadful, wilson hasnt been helped by injuries or suspensions but that still doesnt account for the insipid displays of the last few weeks.

i have been surprised at how much we have missed greer, morrison is a cracking player but as any 19 year old he lacks consistancy.

right our board is loaded and they are in it for the long term there is not a slither of doubt about that. however they have said time and time again they will run the club as a business, seliing greer was good business.

in regards to the ground redevelopement plans are be submitted after xmas starting with the town end, no the council havent said yes yet but the board and the council have a fantastic relationship and cant see any problems at all, i can see redevelopement work starting as early as may, the people involved in the project are the same people who redeveloped deepdale and that stadium is the blueprint we are looking at.

as for dropping attendances, maybe you should check the figures? our average is up by 1000 and has been increasing by 1000 a season for the last 4 years, we currently have the 5th highest attendance in the division behind saints,hudders, charlton and franchise.

we are struggling but this league not including yourselves is ridiculous this year with everyone beating each other, put a little run together and you are suddenly up there, we are playing shit at the moment but are still only 5 points off play offs.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull

firstly i cant see how you can overachieve over 46 games, a cup run maybe but 46 games.

as for the recent performances, something is definately not right, tuesday was f***ing dreadful, wilson hasnt been helped by injuries or suspensions but that still doesnt account for the insipid displays of the last few weeks.

i have been surprised at how much we have missed greer, morrison is a cracking player but as any 19 year old he lacks consistancy.

right our board is loaded and they are in it for the long term there is not a slither of doubt about that. however they have said time and time again they will run the club as a business, seliing greer was good business.

in regards to the ground redevelopement plans are be submitted after xmas starting with the town end, no the council havent said yes yet but the board and the council have a fantastic relationship and cant see any problems at all, i can see redevelopement work starting as early as may, the people involved in the project are the same people who redeveloped deepdale and that stadium is the blueprint we are looking at.

as for dropping attendances, maybe you should check the figures? our average is up by 1000 and has been increasing by 1000 a season for the last 4 years, we currently have the 5th highest attendance in the division behind saints,hudders, charlton and franchise.

we are struggling but this league not including yourselves is ridiculous this year with everyone beating each other, put a little run together and you are suddenly up there, we are playing shit at the moment but are still only 5 points off play offs.

While I do belive your board is loaded, its a very silly business plan to devlop the ground and not worry about the team?

A few Tv's and a new burger/bottle bar is not redevlopment.

The council will not be such an easy touch as you may think, it will only take a group of residents in Stratton Road or wherever to object and the planning permission may drag on for months/years..Just because the council own the ground does not mean they can steam roller the process,

as for the "run" you mentioned, I have seen Swindon 4 times this season and I cannot see where this run will start, the defence and midfield has and is dire,
Austin works hard but he is turning into a prima donna and I can see the board releasing him in January as "good business" ie he cam in for next to nothing leaves for a profit.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Do you really believe that? I think you were robbed.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Swindon will be fine, I expect them to improve on the playing side in the coming months and be pushing a play off place come the end of the season.

Cant comment on the ground as i know bugger all about it.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
If your board are loaded and you miss Greer in your defence, how is selling him good business? If you turned down a bid for Austin as you don't need the money and value the player, why did the board agree to sell Greer to a rival club against the manager's wishes?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

After seeing Paynter leave, and thus off the wage bill, and with this "loaded board" having enough money to turn down £1m bids for Austin, how could selling your captain for 250k possibly be considered good business?
It seems to have affected the team.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If your board are loaded and you miss Greer in your defence, how is selling him good business? If you turned down a bid for Austin as you don't need the money and value the player, why did the board agree to sell Greer to a rival club against the manager's wishes?

Because Greer wanted to come. You cant stop a player leaving these days if he wants to go.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Fair point. I still don't see how the boards finances match up with the ambition in the transfer market... Developing the ground is a sound first step but there's still a playing team to maintain.

All this said, I think Swindon can manage a top half finish this season and hopefully for them build on that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Because Greer wanted to come. You cant stop a player leaving these days if he wants to go.

I thought he only wanted to come AFTER Swindon refused to negotiate a new contract which expired at the end of this season ( I think). I seem to remember their Chairman came across as a total wanker from start to finish in the Greer affair. There are loads of threads on it for those who can be arsed to look.

Charlie Austin

Mar 13, 2010
Greer left because the chairman wouldn't discuss a 2 year contract till October, and then rightly moved on to secure himself a longer contract. Wilson and the players wanted him to stay, and he was happy to remain at the club himself. Greer has said this. £250k was more than any of our fans would have expected to get for him, but the chairman not discussing a new deal looks very stupid now that he hasn't been replaced by an experienced defender. Morrison is coming on very well at the back, but needs an experienced head alongside him. Greer was that man last season, and despite his flaws, was excellent at providing experience at the back and organising the defence.

As for this seasons form, we are very inconsistent and are missing players we lost in the summer. The ones brought in haven't really improved the side and we have had bad luck with suspensions and injuries, but that can't really be used as an excuse. Best player is out at the minute with a broken toe and Austin missed about a month. If he goes in January then we are in big trouble.

Luckily, the league seems alot weaker this season and we aren't far off the top 6. We didn't hit form till mid season last year and hopefully the same will happen again. We started poorly, were brilliant in the middle of the season (when Austin came in) and ended the season poorly.

A few games won in a row and any team is up there. A long way to go yet.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Looks like the 2nd round of the FA cup is as far as you will go this year. Brodie, Tubbs, Torres and Bulman will take care of business. At least you can concentrate fully on your relegation battle! :lolol:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Swindon fans keep saying how £250k for Greer was great business, but I certainly wouldn't take that for him now. We wouldn't be able to adequately replace him for that, as you've found yourselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here