Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Wilson At Swinedon

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have also been told the said rich directors dont want promotion this year, would Wilson stand for that?

Plenty of rich directors with no interest in football as we well know. Isn't the County ground in prime building territory? Maybe they should start worrying, not that I wish anything like that on them obviously. We were being told how rich they were and how they were gonna do this that and the other and they seem to be going backwards.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Thats what they keep telling me about the directors, now apparently the "rich" directors want to get the County Ground up to Championship standards before they worry about promotion.

Plus permission has not been granted for ANY ground improvements
, Plus the ground is owned by Swindon Council.

Now what use is a championship ground in Div 2?

I have also been told the said rich directors dont want promotion this year, would Wilson stand for that?

I thought I heard they had planning permission to rebuild/put a roof on the away stand behind the goal? But then if they did I suppose with their money they would just get on and do it. Bizarre, I don't get that club...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Swindon's current squad doesn't look that dissimilar from the one Micky Adams took to the foot of this league a few seasons ago. They're struggling with injuries, Douglas badly bruised a foot and has missed a couple of games for a start, which is always going to hamper them. Wilson has been talking about loan signings, and made one in Frampton from Millwall, but he suffered a bad injury before tuesday's game and has gone back after just 1 game, the 3-3 draw at Yeovil. They signed Caddis and Ferry (who was on loan last season) from Celtic in the summer and assumed they were going to be amazing, but Caddis hasn't started overly well and though they still think he looks a good player, he's already played in about 5 different positions. Adam Virgo, anyone?... And they signed Prutton, who has already been sent off twice.

They won't get relegated though, it's nonsense to suggest that, Austin alone guarantees survival and when they get Douglas back in the centre, and a settled defence (they've been chopping left backs about like even Adams' wouldn't believe, they've got 3 in the squad), they'll be fine. It's just the same problem we had under Adams, no consistency in team selection so no consistency on the pitch.

And Morrison at the back is no Gordon Greer, despite what they keep on saying! :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Swindon's current squad doesn't look that dissimilar from the one Micky Adams took to the foot of this league a few seasons ago. They're struggling with injuries, Douglas badly bruised a foot and has missed a couple of games for a start, which is always going to hamper them. Wilson has been talking about loan signings, and made one in Frampton from Millwall, but he suffered a bad injury before tuesday's game and has gone back after just 1 game, the 3-3 draw at Yeovil. They signed Caddis and Ferry (who was on loan last season) from Celtic in the summer and assumed they were going to be amazing, but Caddis hasn't started overly well and though they still think he looks a good player, he's already played in about 5 different positions. Adam Virgo, anyone?... And they signed Prutton, who has already been sent off twice.

They won't get relegated though, it's nonsense to suggest that, Austin alone guarantees survival and when they get Douglas back in the centre, and a settled defence (they've been chopping left backs about like even Adams' wouldn't believe, they've got 3 in the squad), they'll be fine. It's just the same problem we had under Adams, no consistency in team selection so no consistency on the pitch.

And Morrison at the back is no Gordon Greer, despite what they keep on saying! :lol:

Rubbish. If they can concede 6 goals to Yeovil and Charlton, they absolutely COULD struggle to be safe.

And Austin can only keep them up if he's still there after January...

westy

Jul 25, 2003
If Danny gets (harshly) sacked there's more chance of Alan Partridge taking the job than Alan Curbishley.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Rubbish. If they can concede 6 goals to Yeovil and Charlton, they absolutely COULD struggle to be safe.

And Austin can only keep them up if he's still there after January...

It's not rubbish, I know what I'm talking about alot more than you do. Charlton have been on a very good run since we beat them, in case you didn't know, and they did score 4 up at Carlisle only 2 weeks ago. Two bad results doesn't mean a thing, especially at this stage, and they didn't lose at Yeovil.

They rejected a £1million bid for Austin in the summer, from Millwall. They don't need to sell him, they're backed by people technically richer than Tony Bloom, and that's fact. He won't be sold in january, and they won't be going down. But they won't be going up, either.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
they're backed by people technically richer than Tony Bloom, and that's fact. ..and they won't be going down.

Brighton was owned by people far richer than Tony Bloom in the mid-90s - that really worked out well didn't it?

I suspect that the owners of West Ham are far richer than Tony Bloom too but I wouldn't bank on them staying up either.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brighton was owned by people far richer than Tony Bloom in the mid-90s - that really worked out well didn't it?

I suspect that the owners of West Ham are far richer than Tony Bloom too but I wouldn't bank on them staying up either.

I only made the point because they don't need to sell Austin.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's not rubbish, I know what I'm talking about alot more than you do. Charlton have been on a very good run since we beat them, in case you didn't know, and they did score 4 up at Carlisle only 2 weeks ago. Two bad results doesn't mean a thing, especially at this stage, and they didn't lose at Yeovil.

They rejected a £1million bid for Austin in the summer, from Millwall. They don't need to sell him, they're backed by people technically richer than Tony Bloom, and that's fact. He won't be sold in january, and they won't be going down. But they won't be going up, either.
...so the Swindon fans keep saying. I'm yet to see any evidence of this huge wealth. Why did Greer leave for a 'paltry' £250k if money isn't an issue?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Always thought they'd struggle this time round. Paynter had the season of his life last season, and they sold him as well as their best defender.

Austin is still scoring but hasn't much support. I just think last year they hit a purple patch and somehow managed to sustain it. This time they had a bad start and their squad has been found out. They are about where I thought they'd be.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Always thought they'd struggle this time round. Paynter had the season of his life last season, and they sold him as well as their best defender.

Austin is still scoring but hasn't much support. I just think last year they hit a purple patch and somehow managed to sustain it. This time they had a bad start and their squad has been found out. They are about where I thought they'd be.

To be fair, that's exactly what I was saying in the summer. They had a team of 11 players who formed a brilliant side at this level, to a man they had the same team ethic and they had the quality to sustain being high in the league. But as soon as Ward went back to Bolton, and Paynter left for Leeds, they were always going to struggle to replace them. Their team last season was gelled perfectly, and they were the team that Slade wanted us to be. This season, they've got worse players in the same positions and are trying to play the same way, but it can't work because the individuals aren't as good as the ones they had last season.

I wouldn't put it down to Wilson, though, he found the right players last season and eventually, he'll find the balance again. I just think some of the criticisms from people on here is short sighted and over the top. But they really don't help themselves, as fans I've always found them to have a strange attitude, considering the size and stature of their club, and the "40odd reasons why Morrison is better than Greer" thread on their forum was just ridiculous and stupid.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull

They never had a bid for Austin in the Summer...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here